IGNORED

CDC to America: Don't reuse condoms

47of74

Ok, the CDC actually had to do this....

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the US has tweeted a reminder to people to not wash and re-use condoms.

‘We say it because people do it: Don’t wash or reuse #condoms! Use a fresh one for each #sex act,’ said the tweet on its CDC STD Twitter account.

Don’t store condoms in your wallet as heat and friction can damage them. And don’t use more than one at a time.

And remember, condoms are designed to be used once only. Washing them will not sterilize them and will seriously weaken their composite material. Dispose of them in the trash after you’ve used them!

Yeah, here's the tweet in question...

Why do I get the feeling that this was issued in response to something Spanky did.... 

Is the next one going to remind people not to reuse tampons?

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Is the next one going to remind people not to reuse tampons?

Given how many people voted for Spanky McFornicateface they'll probably have to at some point.  Along with 'minders not to share either condoms, tampons, or other things of that nature,

When you think about it, condoms aren't really that expensive, and can even be obtained for free so there was no need to reuse them. :8U:

31 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

When you think about it, condoms aren't really that expensive, and can even be obtained for free so there was no need to reuse them. :8U:

The way sexual education and health has been shit upon by the GOP over the last 20 years, they are not easily available for free for everyone. 

What really gets me is the fact that someone actually has to be told this!  Like the stupid warnings on products - we once saw a warning on a bottle of some type of alcohol, I can't remember what kind but possibly vodka. It stated not to consume product without opening the bottle.  You know somebody had to try those stupid things in order for a warning to be needed!

2 hours ago, Briefly said:

What really gets me is the fact that someone actually has to be told this!  Like the stupid warnings on products - we once saw a warning on a bottle of some type of alcohol, I can't remember what kind but possibly vodka. It stated not to consume product without opening the bottle.  You know somebody had to try those stupid things in order for a warning to be needed!

My husband told me about a heating pad he had which had the warning not to use internally 

2 hours ago, Briefly said:

Every time I see one of those little warning stickers next to a hotel room sprinkler telling guests not to use it as something to hang clothes off of I can't help but think someone, somewhere is the whole reason that label exists.

There are other warning labels too that make me think that.  Usually ones warning people away from doing excessively stupid things.

29 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Don’t clothing irons have to say, “Do not iron cloths on body” or something stupid?

I may have a tiny scar from ironing something while wearing it. I may have known full well that it was a bad idea at the time but perhaps did it anyway. I admit nothing!

I remember reading a story somewhere that a girl got pregnant because she and her boyfriend had used the SAME CONDOM as her friend and the friend's boyfriend.  They turned it inside out after the first use and the girl became pregnant from the friend's boyfriend's sperm.

2 hours ago, zeebaneighba said:

I remember reading a story somewhere that a girl got pregnant because she and her boyfriend had used the SAME CONDOM as her friend and the friend's boyfriend.  They turned it inside out after the first use and the girl became pregnant from the friend's boyfriend's sperm.

Well that’s awkward 

I remember reading a formerly Mormon woman's memoir which featured exactly this. She and her then-husband thought it was a way to be frugal and thrifty.  It sounded just as crazy then as it does now.

I honestly don't remember where I saw it, but I don't  think it was a joke.  

The fact this needs to be said is disturbing to me.

It says right on the package! Why are people opposed to reading things? Why would you ever think that it's OK to reuse a condom? I am so grossed out right now!

Then again, the CDC also had to tell people not to eat Tide Pods. I imagine working for the CDC involves an awful lot of head-desking.  :bangheaddesk:

Yes! Found the book where the former Mormon discusses washing and reusing condoms.  Apparently her father had purchased Trojan lambskins, told his soon-to-be son-in-law that they were expensive (over one dollar each!), and should therefore be washed and reused. So that's what the newlyweds did. She includes the tidbit that they were always very stiff (sorry about that horrible pun; I'll go to the Prayer Closet in just a sec), so they'd have put them in water to soak, then check for leaks, then use. 

This lovely information comes from Secret Ceremonies: A Mormon Woman's Intimate Diary of Her Marriage and Beyond, by Deborah Laake. In my hardcover version, this discussion is covered on pages 103-105. It also covers a lot of what happens within the LDS temples, in case anyone is interested. 

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

Yes! Found the book where the former Mormon discusses washing and reusing condoms.  Apparently her father had purchased Trojan lambskins, told his soon-to-be son-in-law that they were expensive (over one dollar each!), and should therefore be washed and reused. So that's what the newlyweds did. She includes the tidbit that they were always very stiff (sorry about that horrible pun; I'll go to the Prayer Closet in just a sec), so they'd have put them in water to soak, then check for leaks, then use. 

This lovely information comes from Secret Ceremonies: A Mormon Woman's Intimate Diary of Her Marriage and Beyond, by Deborah Laake. In my hardcover version, this discussion is covered on pages 103-105. It also covers a lot of what happens within the LDS temples, in case anyone is interested. 

That's what Mr. Briefly said, that he'd heard of them being reused because they were made from lamb skin and were expensive.  His thought is that if somebody's great-grandparent used that kind and washed to reuse, then they would have told their son who would have told his son, etc.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:59 PM, apandaaries said:

I read that a few years back in paperback. (I might have given it away in the meantime.) I found the information she gives about growing up LDS and the insider facts about the temples interesting, but I seem to remember finding her writing style a bit lacking. I can't remember why. 

From the condom Wiki:

The rubber vulcanization process was invented by Charles Goodyear in 1839, and patented in 1844. The first rubber condom was produced in 1855, and by the late 1850s several major rubber companies were mass-producing, among other items, rubber condoms. A main advantage of rubber condoms was their reusability, making them a more economical choice in the long term. Compared to the 19th century rubber condoms, however, skin condoms were initially cheaper and offered better sensitivity. For these reasons, skin condoms remained more popular than the rubber variety. However, by the end of the 19th century "rubber" had become a euphemism for condoms in countries around the world....

OK, this is really weird and one can only speculate on what a visit to the doctor involved: 

The earliest rubber condoms covered only the glans of the penis; a doctor had to measure each man and order the correct size. Even with the medical fittings, however, glans condoms tended to fall off during use. Rubber manufacturers quickly discovered they could sell more devices by manufacturing full-length one-size-fits-all condoms to be sold in pharmacies.

Archived