IGNORED

Counting On Season 4- Part 6 - Counting So Slowly

Jellybean

Carry on from here:

We have been mostly talking about hymens and why they’re a reeeally bad way to judge if someone is a virgin or not... 

I finally caught up on the show and the thread.

• Jana’s comment that Kendra will laugh at anything you say was not a compliment.
  • On the comment by the person who met Michelle at the Bates’ house, a lot of people are groggy right after a nap. Cut her some slack. I met her soon after the JoKen wedding (search FJ for “grandparenting conference”) and she was totally normal (more normal than I expected). 
  • What the hell is a “reception overflow” space? Did they mean the part of the church next to the reception room? I certainly hope the B-list guests weren’t sent to an area they openly called “overflow.”
  •  Joe seems to be more introverted than most of the Duggars, and it looks like he was allowed to not invite every random ATI person they know. Good for them. That also allowed for a nicer wedding than usual, probably courtesy of Miz Cindy and Christina Caldwell. I really liked the departure sparklers.
  • We’ve discussed this wedding three times now, so sorry if this has been covered already, but the guy who rappelled in with the ring was a Bates, right? Probably Trace? TLC would totally have been all over that normally, but they very carefully did not identify him.
  • Why did the scrapbook pages have to have bits of white paper attached for people to sign? Why not just let them write on the page?
  • It was common in the past to call your in-laws Mom and Dad, but that might have been back when Mr. and Mrs. was the other option. Other than Jeremy, the Duggars’ children-in-law seem to call them by their first names, don’t they?

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I finally caught up on the show and the thread.

• Jana’s comment that Kendra will laugh at anything you say was not a compliment.
  • On the comment by the person who met Michelle at the Bates’ house, a lot of people are groggy right after a nap. Cut her some slack. I met her soon after the JoKen wedding (search FJ for “grandparenting conference”) and she was totally normal (more normal than I expected). 
  • What the hell is a “reception overflow” space? Did they mean the part of the church next to the reception room? I certainly hope the B-list guests weren’t sent to an area they openly called “overflow.”
  •  Joe seems to be more introverted than most of the Duggars, and it looks like he was allowed to not invite every random ATI person they know. Good for them. That also allowed for a nicer wedding than usual, probably courtesy of Miz Cindy and Christina Caldwell. I really liked the departure sparklers.
  • We’ve discussed this wedding three times now, so sorry if this has been covered already, but the guy who rappelled in with the ring was a Bates, right? Probably Trace? TLC would totally have been all over that normally, but they very carefully did not identify him.
  • Why did the scrapbook pages have to have bits of white paper attached for people to sign? Why not just let them write on the page?
  • It was common in the past to call your in-laws Mom and Dad, but that might have been back when Mr. and Mrs. was the other option. Other than Jeremy, the DuggaI rs’ children-in-law seem to call them by their first names, don’t they?

Austin and Joy seem to call each other's parents mom and dad or mom and pops. I believe Anna says mom Duggar 

I know my brother in law (married to my husband's sister) calls our mother in law 'mom' because he's more likely to get a response from her if he uses 'mom' rather than her name.

My grandma fully considers my mom a daughter not just a daughter in law.  Once she introduced my parents to new acquaintances as "This is my son ___, my daughter ___, and their 2 children."  Got some funny looks and then realized what she had said.

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It was common in the past to call your in-laws Mom and Dad, but that might have been back when Mr. and Mrs. was the other option. Other than Jeremy, the Duggars’ children-in-law seem to call them by their first names, don’t they?

I think some of the other kids' spouses do too and I think it's fairly common, honestly to my ears the only thing that sounds different is the way they'll sometimes say (when talking not to a person, but about them) mom or dad rather than specifying whose parent it is. Awkward phrasing on my part but not sure how else to say it. Like when Joy said to Austin (paraphrasing) "first we'll go see Mom and Pops, and then we'll meet up with Mom and Dad", I would have said "first we'll go see YOUR Mom and Pops, and then we'll meet up with MY Mom and Dad". Southern FJers feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always just taken that to be a regional thing, when I lived in DC and everyone was from everywhere I noticed that it seemed to be something some of my friends from the south said. Takes a second for me to register but makes perfect sense, I knew when my roommate said she'd just been on the phone with mom she meant hers not mine :) 

I call my in-laws by their first names, but consider them parents to both of us in many ways. Husbean and I did call each other’s grandparents by their ‘grandparent name’ which, amazingly, were almost all different. For those that were the same, we called them Grandpa in person, but Grandpa Jellybean and Grandpa Husbean, for example, when talking about them, to avoid confusion.

I couldn't tell whether Kendra was looking forward to the kiss, or just worrying about whether it would go well. I think at least twice she tried to (sort of) coach Joe about how to do it.

I found watching that first kiss somewhat embarrassing. Joe seemed to purse his lips, as if he was about to whistle, and lunge towards her. Their subsequent kisses looked equally weird.

And then I have to remind myself that, at the ages of 19 and 22, the two of them are learning things about kissing that I learned at the age of fourteen.

Ok so I’ve been lurking for a little while (first post!), and realized something on this latest episode that has been grating my nerves (and finally am able to actually put it into words if that makes sense)... all of those that are already married are giving life and marriage advice as if they’ve been married for 50 years. Joy and Austin specifically. They were married for 3-4 months before joe and Kendra. Hardly makes them some kind of marriage experts. I get that they know first hand how newlywed life is, but come on. They haven’t even begun to experience the trials of married life.

That annoys me, too, @TheMrs.  It's like "slow down a little." I think it's because in their culture there is such a bright line between married and not married. The amount of time hardly seems to matter. In the real world, people would not ask them aboutarriage advice - how would they even know if what they are doing is working yet?

I apologize if this is being discussed in another thread, I couldn’t find it.

Jesus Christ Superstar is on tonight, I’m wondering if fundamentalists (or whatever the Duggars are) hate this or watch it?  It was really popular when I was a kid but I didn’t grow up in a religious home or community so I have no point of reference.

2 minutes ago, SadieJane said:

So was the show finally cancelled, or is pickles losing it a little bit more than usual?

It's her idea of a hilarious April Fools joke.

1 minute ago, SadieJane said:

So was the show finally cancelled, or is pickles losing it a little bit more than usual?

no a new summer season has already been announced  great now I Have to see how pickles is being crazy. 

here is the promo

https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/counting-on/videos/more-surprises-coming-to-counting-on?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf185522118&utm_cam

Archived