IGNORED

My brain hurts, v.33.0: Godly parents prevent "terrible 2s"

MamaJunebug

Copied from a li'l ole wall that shall forever remain unidentified (because we do not want it going private!!!)

OP (aka GODLY PARENTS #1): Whoever coined the phrase "terrible twos" either didn't know how to parent or never was a parent to begin with. It is truly the terrific twos!

27 people like this..

GODLY PARENTS #2: We agree! -

GODLY PARENTS #3: that's what I called it, I mean terrific twos. Isn't it wonderful, they're so much fun!

GODLY PARENTS #4: That's what my parents always called it.

GODLY PARENTS #5: Godly parents=terrific twos ;-)

GODLY PARENTS #6: They are only terrible twos if you miss the sneeky one and one halfs and let them get away with stuff. Remember they are really 9 months old when they come out and way ahead of you if you dont pay attention!

I, Parent of a few and grandparent of a few more, particularly like the Brain Trust reminder from GP #6: "they are really 9 months old when they come out and way ahead of you"

Whaaaat? A couple who are old enough to procreate are "behind" a 9-months-old human? Whether that's 9-months-post-conception or 9-months-post-birth, No, I don't think so! [/Wong Foo]

Well, common sense to the side, GP#1 is again aces at proclaiming their own superiority and Acolyte GPs #2-6 are performing a beautiful amen choir in pretty openly accusing anyone with a rambunctious 2-year-old of being a peese-poor parent.

It srsly hurts my heart that parents without the commonsense, strong Christianity that I grew up in, listen to these overly self-assured tastemakers and opinion leaders. Because without a doubt, they begin to doubt themselves, their ability, their love for their child, their love for God, and ulimately, worst of all, the love of God.

I feel a sockpuppet identity coming on, and not for this forum.

Copied from a li'l ole wall that shall forever remain unidentified (because we do not want it going private!!!)

WTF? These people's newborns are clearly way more advanced than mine was. He hit himself in the head a lot. I am not sure he understood his hand was actually part of him.

Are their kids 2 now? Because I think a lot of kids these days are delightful at that age and are skipping the terrible 2s altogether, and make up for it with the Terrible Threes. Far worse than a couple of tantrums, imo. They also potty train about a year later than a generation ago, wonder if there's a connection.

Heehee, I'll be interested to see how Godly everything is in their house in about a year...

WTF? These people's newborns are clearly way more advanced than mine was. He hit himself in the head a lot. I am not sure he understood his hand was actually part of him.

Not to toot my own but both my kids were great when they were two. Now three was a totally different story. At three, they were holy terrors. I always said that the "terrible twos" were a myth. It was the terrible 3's. :) And I am far from a "Godly parent".

My daughter had me running ragged from the age of 7mos, because she started climbing at that age and was walking at 7.5mos, but she was good at 2. At three, she was a terror!!!!

I maintain that the terrible twos are a myth.

My oldest daughter was a saint until she hit five. Now she whines and complains and rolls her eyes about every little thing. Two was a breeze, though.

My DD was great ... her "terrible twos" were like old fashion silent films ... all action and no noise. But God obviously had a plan for me ... Hubs is 35 and STILL having his "terrible twos". :D

Mami Bear: Love ya because you make me chuckle!

former Gothardite: love ya for very obvious reasons!!! (Of course, push comes to shove, Col. Brandon *is* **mine**!!! :D )

Back OT, love the responses about the T3's. The gawdly couple who started the above convo just celebrated their first child's second birthday. Ha ha ha .... it's so easy to know it all when a little is all you know.

Hey! I like that! "so easy to know it all when a little is all you know." Yay, me!

Are their kids 2 now? Because I think a lot of kids these days are delightful at that age and are skipping the terrible 2s altogether, and make up for it with the Terrible Threes...

You beat me to it. A personal statement of mine: "The person who coined the term "terrible twos" had not yet had a 3 year old."

My mom always said that with her kids, the "terrible twos" were nothing compared to the "butt-smacking threes."

I'll even argue that some kids are "terrible" even before that: my little sister couldn't walk on her own when she ran over my head with her walker as I was lying on the floor watching "Sesame Street." I STILL have a scar from that.

QueenNocturne, sounds like your sister was cut from the same mold as my brother. I would end up standing on the couch or a chair, screaming as he tried to run me down.

Mami Bear: Love ya because you make me chuckle!

former Gothardite: love ya for very obvious reasons!!! (Of course, push comes to shove, Col. Brandon *is* **mine**!!! :D )

Back OT, love the responses about the T3's. The gawdly couple who started the above convo just celebrated their first child's second birthday. Ha ha ha .... it's so easy to know it all when a little is all you know.

Hey! I like that! "so easy to know it all when a little is all you know." Yay, me!

Hey! We might have to fight to the death, or at least fight till we decide to be sister wives, over Col. Brandon.

From 2 until about 11 or 12 I was mainly saving their lives all day and still we had to spend days in the ER.

But yes, it all started at 2 or 3 when they began to explore the world........thoroughly...

I think the only people who avoid the Terrible Twos (or Threes) are the ones who beat (oh, excuse me, "train up") their kids so badly that they're already terrified of their parents by age two.

Two is fine. Three is hell. Five is the land of the same question over and over until Mommy needs a time out and a bottle of wine to cope...

Yup, not a godly parent, I guess.

before he could walk was awful with my oldest because he was pissed off all the time. He walked at 14 months.

Now the 2s with my second were terrible because he decided to stop sleeping practically at all. He'd have a refreshing 10 minute nap at about 10 pm and then be up until 3 and then sleep until 7. He was always very cheerful but I, alas, was not. It was around that time when we would wake up and see that P had been up, as evidenced by the glass of milk, pear remains and a little bowl of pickle relish he served himself as a snack.

You cracked me up, duplessis3! I loved pickle relish as a kid too.

Speaking of terrible toddlers, towards the end of 4(almost 5) my parents figured out I could read because I tried to make rice krispie treats off the cereal box. I didn't set the kitchen on fire, thankfully, but they were completely inedible.

LOL at the pears and pickle relish. It makes me crazy to see fundies trying to squelch normal developmental phases with "discipline". Yeah, you have to teach your kid some general social/moral rules, but they're not born grownups! They have small little brains that have to grow, and part of that involves climbing and thinking it's really funny to say "no" all the time!

*facepalm*

As far as kid stories, my older bro learned to crawl over baby gates at 2. He escaped one night and toddled onto the porch in his Pooh-Bear jammies to say hi to our parents. My mom recalls this as a major turning point, haha. He quickly moved on to taking his bed apart to use it as a car ramp. Kind of a hassle, but lots of good coordination, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning whatnot going on!

I was, of course, a perfect child. :-D (Okay, except for the whole excessive screaming thing, but what are you going to do...)

There was a kid in our family who could open any door at 2, and was found downstairs sitting in front of the fireplace, holding his teddy bear, enjoying the fire he had *built himself*.

Guest Anonymous
Not to toot my own but both my kids were great when they were two. Now three was a totally different story. At three, they were holy terrors. I always said that the "terrible twos" were a myth. It was the terrible 3's. :) And I am far from a "Godly parent".

My daughter had me running ragged from the age of 7mos, because she started climbing at that age and was walking at 7.5mos, but she was good at 2. At three, she was a terror!!!!

I maintain that the terrible twos are a myth.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This. I can't stand three year olds. I'm dreading my son when he gets to that age. DREADING IT.

Guest Anonymous

I'm told that I was a good baby until I reached about 18 months. My father would come home from work on paydays, and put his pay on top of the dresser while he went into the bathroom and changed from his work clothes. I would toddle in, in the meantime, grab a few of the bills and start chewing. Just to show that I had expensive tastes even then, I didn't limit my attention to ones and fives. Oh no, Princess Jan had to gnaw on tens and twenties. My parents were going nuts trying to figure out where the missing money was going to. They finally figured it out when my mother saw me chewing on something when she knew she hadn't given me any snacks, and dinner was a half-hour away.

I sometimes think that I was lucky. Neither of my kids did the terrible 2's, 3's or 4's. However my son did do the terrible 5's - shit hit the fan when he went to school - but by that time we knew he was autistic so handled it differently plus most of his tantrums happened at school anyway. When he was home he was as happy as Larry. My daughter never really had tantrums as such either. She has a 'wail and flail' when she has her autistic moments but like her brother she is pretty self contained, and is happiest when she is glued to my hip chattering in my ear.

Whenever I see friends with kids going through the terrible 2's I think, 'how the hell do you handle that?'

My sister is going through Terrible 3s. Her daughter is highly verbal, precocious and questioning. After being a very engaging, interesting 2 year old with few issues, she has now started turning on tantrums and started whining. She's still smart as a whip, charming (when she wants) and delightful, but when she's not happy... sigh.

"It's so easy to know it all when a little is all you know."

I'm getting into cross stich at the moment and i think this will make a lovely sampler! Do I have your permission, MamaJunebug, or is it copyrighted? ;)

On the whole two/three year old thing, I think it's nature's way of giving you a little taster of what it's like to have teenagers.

On the whole two/three year old thing, I think it's nature's way of giving you a little taster of what it's like to have teenagers.

LOL

Archived