IGNORED

Guess what I found thrift-store shopping today? That's right, A GOTHARD BOOK

dawbs

It is filled with....such lovely stuff.20171207_225916.thumb.jpg.4b26db75ebaae6a4ec67cd22e39e2cb5.jpg

Spoiler

20171207_225941.thumb.jpg.14df1c4a12f88d0c0c85aeb03a85464e.jpg

Spoiler

20171207_225923.thumb.jpg.9ecfbb2bbf36fe97b022b8524f63bc2b.jpg

It's a kinda pretty book.  And it won't fall into the wrong (right?) hands at least now.  I'm skimming over it to find what sorts of horrors are buried inside, since I've just started.

Oh wow. Not that I’m an IBLP expert but I’m sure you’re in for quite the ride. Everything about ATI and IBLP screams CULT CULT CULT to me.

I’ve seen one of those at a thrift store too, although I didn’t buy it. I seem to recall that Gothard made seminar participants promise not to copy or share the materials he gave them and now they’re showing up on eBay and in thrift stores. I guess there’s no way to enforce this rule other than to scare people into submission, so when they become disillusioned with Gothard they have no problem giving his books away.

2 minutes ago, Flossie said:

You'd think that someone coming out of the cult would burn the books rather than risk the possibility of someone else being drawn in.

My parents donated a whole lot of their crap when they finally left. I wish I had got hold of the medical journals because those things are a hoot. 

@dawbs, you will have to do a review for us. I haven't looked through those things in years and I bet there is all sorts of crazy. 

If I ever see one of those books in a thrift store, I am positive I would buy it. I don't want anyone else getting their hands on that destructive book and I would be interested in thumbing through it. If I ever wanted rid of it, I would shred it.

35 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

My parents donated a whole lot of their crap when they finally left. I wish I had got hold of the medical journals because those things are a hoot. 

@dawbs, you will have to do a review for us. I haven't looked through those things in years and I bet there is all sorts of crazy. 

ATI had a medical journal? What in the world?? I mean, I can’t even imagine what sort of things they must have published. Probably stuff about “self-abuse” and so on. :pb_confused:

@dawbs- you should screencap and share anything snark-able that hasn't shown up on the internet yet! Yes, I guess there's a small chance it could fall into the wrong/right hands, but I love to hate the Gothard diagrams and such that I've seen :) 

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, back in the 80s I considered myself pretty fundamental until I went to IBLP with my husband (Then bf) and his parents. I remember being pissed off every night we left. I was “but I love Amy Grant, I’m not burning her albums or any for that matter “.  The whole umbrella of authority pissed me off, I was “who says women have to go through their husbands and not straight to God. “  When it was over, I put my book away (as did my husband) and never thought of it again. My in laws however ordered every book possible through IBLP, all their kids were grown adults fortunately, but they would keep a copy and give a copy to their kids for Christmas. We got rid of ours long ago during a move purge (thrown in the garbage).  After about 10 years they backed away from IBLP, my mother in law has since passed but the books are still all out and on display at my father in laws house. I did not know there were medical journals, we never got those as gifts.  Now I’m going to have to search the FIL bookshelf and see what’s there. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:17 PM, dawbs said:

It is filled with....such lovely stuff.20171207_225916.thumb.jpg.4b26db75ebaae6a4ec67cd22e39e2cb5.jpg

Hide contents

20171207_225941.thumb.jpg.14df1c4a12f88d0c0c85aeb03a85464e.jpg

Hide contents

20171207_225923.thumb.jpg.9ecfbb2bbf36fe97b022b8524f63bc2b.jpg

It's a kinda pretty book.  And it won't fall into the wrong (right?) hands at least now.  I'm skimming over it to find what sorts of horrors are buried inside, since I've just started.

The cover looks like it's in good shape, so maybe it wasn't used extensively?  (fingers and toes crossed!)

My family did the Basic Seminar about 5 years ago, but we all decided it was trash and never looked back. We didn't get rid of the books though, so sometimes I look though them and laugh hysterically. The Wisdom booklets are friggin hilarious too 

Archived