IGNORED

Lori Alexander 29: Gossiping about Gossip

Coconut Flan

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Free Jana Duggar, I just thought of the novel "Christy" by Catherine Marshall. In it, a character mentions a sheltered, religious girl who is raped and impregnated by a "clergyman" who practiced an extreme form of "laying on of hands." The girl had no idea how she got pregnant, because she'd been given zero sex education. Her religious community reacted by making sure the kids started learning about sex and reproduction.  And the book was based on events that happened in Appalachia over a hundred years ago.

Evangelical Christianity is dragging too many of its adherents backwards.

@Hane I love that book (Christy). Read it many years ago. Reading the Hawkins family thread yesterday made me think of it. I think it was the pride in ignorance that reminded me of the book.

4 hours ago, Hane said:

@Free Jana Duggar, I just thought of the novel "Christy" by Catherine Marshall. In it, a character mentions a sheltered, religious girl who is raped and impregnated by a "clergyman" who practiced an extreme form of "laying on of hands." The girl had no idea how she got pregnant, because she'd been given zero sex education. Her religious community reacted by making sure the kids started learning about sex and reproduction.  And the book was based on events that happened in Appalachia over a hundred years ago.

I need to go back and read that book. I obviously missed it.

22 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

I need to go back and read that book. I obviously missed it.

It's a very brief passage... maybe a paragraph at most. 

Tiny Tim replied to the Lack of Education post. Here's his third point (the guy must be a preacher. 3 points...)

Third point. Each family – specifically each head of the family has to look at where and how God is calling him and his family to live their lives. It may be get the young women married and having children at a young age so that they are having children at the optimal healthy time of their lives. Also as parents get older they are not able to keep up the the younger ones. So having children at a young age is better in many ways. The wife could go back later or with basic skills become an asset to her husband’s career. If the husband has his own company he can use his wife as a helpmate in that venture. if she has a degree in something other than what the family business is what good was her degree and the money spent on that degree if it does nothing to help the business. A person’s education never stops once you have a diploma or a degree. So these young women are still able to learn more and be more open for the leading of their husbands.

Essence: it's all about the husband/ father and what he wants.  What a patriocentric (as opposed to Christ-centered) view of life!   

1. Fathers decide when they should get the young women married and having children .  Do they choose the husband for those young women too?  How young is young? 

2. A husband can use his wife as a helpmate, even send her back to learn some basic skills so she can become an asset to her husband’s career.  Any higher education she has earned is useless unless it supports his career. 

3. Women need to be kept open for the leading of their husbands.

Would someone please provide one single verse that instructs husbands to lead their wives?  It says "love your wives" in my Bible. It also says "give them honor", but it doesn't say "lead".  Maybe I have a faulty version. 

13 hours ago, Hane said:

I thought of that book a couple of days ago, apparently out of nowhere. Are we picking up the same brain waves here?  :pb_lol:

I didn't meet my husband until I was 25 years old and he was almost 30. Should we have just married whomever and just dealt with It because of Jesus? Not to mention my husband is a very intelligent man. He wouldn't be happy with an uneducated girl who couldn't have an intelligent conversation with him. He'd be so bored and unhappy.

Today I learned from Lori:

It's okay for her to discuss where commentaries come to different conclusions about an issue, but when anyone else does it, it is speaking against God.

Yes, the man is head over his wife (her HEAD covering) and she is to live in submission to him. This is not frivolous since it’s made clear, as I have stated, but the issue of long hair and wearing a veil falls in the category of “frivolous”things (of little importance) so decide for yourselves with your husband’s approval what is right and proper and do it but please don’t force your personal convictions about this upon others and cause contentions over it.

So if I had a personal conviction about, say, yoga pants, she is saying that I shouldn't force this upon others and cause contention (contentions, Lori? sheesh) in the sisterhood of the immodest yoga pants.

Scripture isn't clear about it, though. There's a lot of things Scripture isn't clear about. 

Re: college: I'm insisting any future children of ours get some kind of education or training. I don't want them to end up like me. My current part time job is basically glorified yard boy for a farm. Cash pay. $8 an hour for busting my ass in the heat, doing whatever the boss lady wants me to do to make her place look pretty outside. I also do a bit of online work from home a few hours a week. Rest is running our home and garden. Maybe it's too late for me I find a calling or passion, but over my dead body will any of my future girls grow up like I did. 

2 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Maybe it's too late for me I find a calling or passion, but over my dead body will any of my future girls grow up like I did. 

Not only is it not too late for you to find a calling or passion, but it sounds to me like you may already have found one: dedicating yourself to making sure girls grow up with good options. A calling isn't about what you get paid to do. It's about what you do that reflects your inner fire. You already have that going on.

28 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Scripture isn't clear about it, though. There's a lot of things Scripture isn't clear about. 

Re: college: I'm insisting any future children of ours get some kind of education or training. I don't want them to end up like me. My current part time job is basically glorified yard boy for a farm. Cash pay. $8 an hour for busting my ass in the heat, doing whatever the boss lady wants me to do to make her place look pretty outside. I also do a bit of online work from home a few hours a week. Rest is running our home and garden. Maybe it's too late for me I find a calling or passion, but over my dead body will any of my future girls grow up like I did. 

I grew up in a Christian home- and for most of that time, we attended a Pentecostal church but we didn't ascribe to all of the denominational teachings (neither did most in the church)- at least not in he strict sense- my mom worked and we attended public schools and had non- Christian friends. My dad insisted that he sisters and I go to college- even saying we didn't have to utilize our degrees, he wanted us to have something to fall back on so that we would have the ability to care for ourselves no matter what. 

I think it's awesome that you want a different future for your girls. I also think that we don't all have a single passion in the way it is typically presented. I watched a talk by Elizabeth Gilbert- she likens some of us to hummingbirds. We are driven by curiosity and says that "when we approach life this way we take our accumulated wisdom, grace, and experiences to give very generously to others". 

That perspective was very helpful for me. 

I saw the comment yesterday that this in response to. Hellllo!!!

Basically Lori is saying the haters of God will be the nurses! No need to worry, so many people hate God that there will be plenty of people do to all these other jobs. 

1 hour ago, molecule said:

Not only is it not too late for you to find a calling or passion, but it sounds to me like you may already have found one: dedicating yourself to making sure girls grow up with good options. A calling isn't about what you get paid to do. It's about what you do that reflects your inner fire. You already have that going on.

Thank you. :) 

It'd be nice to one day have a job I enjoy to bring in a bit better money though. It does scare me a that I have nothing to fall back on should something happen to Mr. EW. But it will work out, I'm sure.

I also know that, for the future when/if kids arrive, , I am not built to be a 100% stay at home Mom so I hope to one day develop something into a side business or just... something more than sitting at home surrounded by babies and posting nothing but "look at that smile!" pictures on social media like most in my circle do. Full time homemaker duties are dreary to me.  

In the meantime I have a lot of budding little interests blooming so I'm looking forward to the future. :) 

Interesting that Aunt Lori doesn't mention the possibility of MEN being nurses and teachers...

Your husband is your head covering.  Chapter and verse, please, Lori.  While you search, you might like to read 1st Corinthians 13. The apostle Paul calls it the "better way". 

Wonder what made her respond to this and not just delete. There again is her sarcastic blessings!

And tit for tat. You have no love for me, so I have not love for you! But Lori is the godly mentor. She is held to a higher standard and should be setting the example. Instead she just responds as snarkily. 

erinclyde.PNG.8f63006ed60e9b6bbe7409c8ebf7e0c9.PNG

More

renadodson.PNG.eadbdc49b62a05862678b03d35fa9c4b.PNG

My friend Trey, basically saying that we should be willing to endure abuse and shouldn't complain about it, quotes the apostle Paul's accounts of his sufferings:

“… I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.”

God allowed Paul (one of the greatest Christians of all times) to suffer all of these things (and more including death) in service to Him. Can any of us really complain the things we (are privileged to) suffer for Jesus Christ our LORD and SAVIOR? Sinful PRIDE tells us that we don’t deserve any of that but the truth is that we ALL deserve much worse.

Pretty rich from a man who says that lack of submission or obedience from a wife is abuse and who writes the longest comments exhorting women to have sex -and lots of it- with their husbands, no matter what, or they are abusing them.  

Lori says even if all mothers were to leave the workforce there would be plenty of single women, married women without children, and married women with grown children to fill jobs that are traditionally filled by females.

But, hasn't she also said she doesn't think women should go to college?  Well there goes nursing and teaching careers.

Hasn't she also said older women with grown children (you know, like Lori herself) should concentrate on making a home for her husband and teaching younger women rather than working outside the home?

And Lori, it's not that we think you have so much influence over society (Good grief let's hope not!), it's that these people that write you are trying to point out how women leaving the workforce in droves would probably shut our modern society down.

Lori, I can guarantee the offices your husband and son consult with employ a great many working mothers.  There goes your cushy little life if all mothers return home.

I guess then you'd have to be one of those older women with grown children who returned to the workforce.

Isn't she backtracking a bit? I thought ALL women, not just moms, were supposed be keepers of the home? Now it's just moms with little children?

Also, she is promoting her DIL's beauty business on her instagram. Her DIL has a baby. I thought women with babies were supposed to devote themselves entirely to their family?

Lori is stupid. Not all non-moms would choose nursing or teaching as careers. 

Her snarkiness to those who criticize her belies any trace of the Holy Spirit. She is an egotistical false teacher, just a plain old fool.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived