IGNORED

99 million year old dinosaur tail with feathers found preserved in Amber

Jucifer

OK! Mind officially and completely blown!  This is just beyond awesome.  Such a beautiful trail and so......so.....feathery and delicate. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Thanks for the laugh. I expected no less from him. I thought he would try to dispute the age of the tail but he went one better and is disputing the species altogether. Can't wait for the more detailed analysis from the "expert ". :pb_lol:

Now I want to know more about dinosaurs.  Apparently, there are avian and non-avian dinos.  Some had scaly skin and some had bumpy skin and some (a few?) had feathers. 

As my best friend always says, "More will be revealed!". 

Since we're on the subject of dinosaurs, here's the website for the Dinosaur State Park in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. I was there two years ago, & I loved it! The preserved dino tracks are simply amazing to see, & they've got trails behind the building as well. Also, the remaining tracks are being preserved under turf for their protection:

http://www.dinosaurstatepark.org/

This would (& probably has been ) be poo-pooed, but I still think it's cool. 

A lot of people in the birding community as well as paleontologists like to call birds the surviving dinosaurs.    They do have more in common with dinosaurs than do other extant reptiles.  I hope to participate in the Christmas Dino Count this year.  

A lot of people in the birding community as well as paleontologists like to call birds the surviving dinosaurs.    They do have more in common with dinosaurs than do other extant reptiles.  I hope to participate in the Christmas Dino Count this year.  

Birds are avian dinosaurs, linked to the therapod dinosaurs like T Rex by common ancestor. T Rex was more like an ostrich than a giant reptile. Most therapods were feathered, too. Raptors, T Rex, and many others were partially or fully feathered. The American Museum of Natural History has an exhibit on it.

http://www.amnh.org/about-the-museum/press-center/amnh-announces-new-exhibition-dinosaurs-among-us

On 10/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, bjr70 said:

Birds are avian dinosaurs, linked to the therapod dinosaurs like T Rex by common ancestor. T Rex was more like an ostrich than a giant reptile. Most therapods were feathered, too. Raptors, T Rex, and many others were partially or fully feathered. The American Museum of Natural History has an exhibit on it.

http://www.amnh.org/about-the-museum/press-center/amnh-announces-new-exhibition-dinosaurs-among-us

You have just made Jurassic Park retroactively hilarious :pb_lol:

You have just made Jurassic Park retroactively hilarious :pb_lol:

I always like to mention we're eating dinosaur on Thanksgiving.

If you want to see how a raptor might have moved, check out the Southern Cassowary.
They even have the big claw.

You'll never look at birds the same way again.

I always like to say to Mr. No that the birds, er, dinosaurs are chirping.   Oh, there's the dinosaur, aka a sparrow that imprinted our dryer vent.  And the pair of red dinosaurs, er, cardinals in the maple tree on the front lawn.

It's so amazing and lucky that they found something in such a great state of preservation, and on top of it that it occurred at a time when we can truly analyze it to learn more about the past. It definitely makes you wonder how people would wrap their heads around such findings in the past, and how fortunate we are to have so much insight today (whether or not some people choose to believe it!).

Science is beautiful. I'm always in awe reading articles like this one.

Someone raised chickens with fake dinosaur tails to see how dinosaurs might have walked. 

I'm going to a fairly conservative Christian college right now (a lot of students choose between this college and Liberty University) and the biology professors have talked about how birds are technically reptiles and are the closest relatives to the dinosaurs. They acknowledged that not all the students believe in evolution, but they made it clear that the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

Someone raised chickens with fake dinosaur tails to see how dinosaurs might have walked. 

I'm going to a fairly conservative Christian college right now (a lot of students choose between this college and Liberty University) and the biology professors have talked about how birds are technically reptiles and are the closest relatives to the dinosaurs. They acknowledged that not all the students believe in evolution, but they made it clear that the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

Wow I'm so glad to hear that. It really is settled science.

Archived