IGNORED

Evangelicals attack H&M because they assume a cis model is trans

Lurky

USA Evangelical group "One Million Moms" are going after H&M for have a trans model...  except they're going after a cis woman (& actually missed the real trans model)

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/10/05/one-million-moms-attack-transgender-hm-model-but-shes-just-a-butch-woman/

I did enjoy the final sentence:

Despite their name, One Million Moms are an offshoot of the male-dominated evangelical American Family Association. They have just 3500 mostly-male Twitter followers.

There seems to be trans-panic among fundies, seeing them anywhere and everywhere. They can't seem to decide whether trans people are such a small part of the population that their rights aren't even worth discussing or whether there are hordes of trans people intent on terrorizing innocent white religious conservatives. This hysteria is such that groups like One Million Moms have become the gender police, shaming anyone who deviates from their narrow view of how men and women should look or behave.

What exactly IS the "gay agenda"????? That gays exist, and walk among us? I've known that pretty much my entire life. That they deserve human rights same as everyone else? I've known that, too.

WTF is wrong with these people?

I think that's pretty much it.  That they dare to live their lives without shame or guilt is essentially "throwing their lifestyle in our faces."

15 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

What exactly IS the "gay agenda"????? That gays exist, and walk among us? I've known that pretty much my entire life. That they deserve human rights same as everyone else? I've known that, too.

There are some really funny memes that deal with the "Gay Agenda"; sorry I can't personally post them myself, but the ones I've seen are overly dramatic  and hysterical. Check them out sometime; they are perfect.

Personally I love the way overly-homophobic men talk about "the gay agenda" - all that "shoving it in our faces, "ramming it down our throats" etc just makes them sound massively repressed, like it's their secret gay fantasy - always make me laugh.

Gay Agenda:

1) Gain social acceptance

2) Throw a fabulous cocktail party

3) Ruin Christmas

4) Eat the last cupcake

What makes me laugh is the real issue behind H&M, and many other clothing companies, is the deplorable way they treat their employees in foreign nations. For people that brag about being like Christ you'd think they'd be talking about the human condition and encouraging people to thrift shop/buy fair trade to prevent the loss and abuse of life in foreign countries. Oh my bad, they don't care unless they get attention from it. 

21 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I guess if you believe being gay is a choice or trend rather than an innate orientation you are born with, then having more prominent gay people in society could "turn" more people gay?

Which makes me wonder about all these deeply conservative straight people who are so worried about just what they would be tempted to do sexually if a lot of gay people were in their vicinity...

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Which makes me wonder about all these deeply conservative straight people who are so worried about just what they would be tempted to do sexually if a lot of gay people were in their vicinity...

It's like some of the religious Trans panic re bathrooms and locker rooms, where all these middle aged men straight up said "If I'd have the chance to perve on teenage girls, I'd do anything to get it" etc, and talk about men as basically slavering beasts, who, given half a chance, would leap on all the women in their vicinity.  

It's a bit like the Trump defenders who say "all men are like that" - I, as a left-wing, feminist lesbian have a far greater opinion of men in general, and especially the men I know, than a lot of those right-wing men do (but that's always the case with a lot of stuff, like the "avoiding rape by not wearing short skirts" men too)

My main problem with H&M is that they have cute basic plus size clothes online and the local store has nothing in it bigger than a large! When I go shopping with my thin sister I end up looking at shoes and jewelry the whole time as that's about all that'll fit me.

I do actually kind of like the commercial - it seems to have a decently diverse range of women in it. I'm guessing that's probably part of their problem with it as well, though they won't say so.

8 minutes ago, Lurky said:

It's a bit like the Trump defenders who say "all men are like that" - I, as a left-wing, feminist lesbian have a far greater opinion of men in general, and especially the men I know, than a lot of those right-wing men do (but that's always the case with a lot of stuff, like the "avoiding rape by not wearing short skirts" men too)

ugh, yes. I noted on my facebook that I can't think of any guy in my circle of family and friends who thinks talk like that is okay. I recognize they exist, but they are not ubiquitous, and "Everyone does it" is not a message I want going out to young boys.

55 minutes ago, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

What makes me laugh is the real issue behind H&M, and many other clothing companies, is the deplorable way they treat their employees in foreign nations. For people that brag about being like Christ you'd think they'd be talking about the human condition and encouraging people to thrift shop/buy fair trade to prevent the loss and abuse of life in foreign countries. Oh my bad, they don't care unless they get attention from it. 

The Million Moms (or rather, the several hundred conservative dudebros) probably don't consider the people who make clothes in Latin America or Asia to be "real people." I bet if you were to even bring up bad working conditions in garment factories, they would mock you for being "PC."

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The Million Moms (or rather, the several hundred conservative dudebros) probably don't consider the people who make clothes in Latin America or Asia to be "real people." I bet if you were to even bring up bad working conditions in garment factories, they would mock you for being "PC."

not to be ignorant but what is PC?

4 minutes ago, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

not to be ignorant but what is PC?

Politically Correct.

Some people think that's a horrible thing - but in truth it is supposed to mean "kind and/or polite" in the sense of "not going out of your way to offend people" and with an undertone of "reasonably informed about the world outside your own small circle". Some people take pride in "not being PC" - which often is the equivalent of saying "I don't mean to be rude..." before saying something they know is actually horrifically rude. Most fundies would probably be horrified to be considered "PC", as that is "liberal" and would mean things like not insulting trans people, non-Christian people, people of color, etc.

That's my understanding of the term, at least. I may not be fully informed, myself.

8 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Politically Correct.

Some people think that's a horrible thing - but in truth it is supposed to mean "kind and/or polite" in the sense of "not going out of your way to offend people" and with an undertone of "reasonably informed about the world outside your own small circle". Some people take pride in "not being PC" - which often is the equivalent of saying "I don't mean to be rude..." before saying something they know is actually horrifically rude. Most fundies would probably be horrified to be considered "PC", as that is "liberal" and would mean things like not insulting trans people, non-Christian people, people of color, etc.

That's my understanding of the term, at least. I may not be fully informed, myself.

Conversely, the very people who take pride in not being PC will become tremendously butthurt if you criticize their group (however that's defined) in any way, and will claim persecution. The most obvious example of this are white fundies who constantly proclaim that they are being oppressed, even though the US is roughly 70 percent Christian, and conservative Christian religious groups have a great deal of political influence.

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Politically Correct.

I'm sorry. I didn't know what the "PC" stood for LOL. Politically correct, that's a good definition of it what you described. 

10 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Conversely, the very people who take pride in not being PC will become tremendously butthurt if you criticize their group (however that's defined) in any way, and will claim persecution. The most obvious example of this are white fundies who constantly proclaim that they are being oppressed, even though the US is roughly 70 percent Christian, and conservative Christian religious groups have a great deal of political influence.

See also, people who get terribly upset about being called bigoted, racist, homophobic etc, claiming being called a bigot is a terrible slur, not a natural reaction to having said bigoted things.  People who get very upset about being called homophobic, because they believe gay people should have fewer human rights than straight people, and be treated as an underclass etc etc.

My favourite quote on Political Correctness comes from Neil Gaiman:

I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile. 

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

Archived