IGNORED

Because football is now a "family value"

The AFA, which issues an annual report on the "War on Christmas" among other things, now is calling on the NFL to dicipline Kaepernick. Because football is as much a conservative Christian cause as fighting abortion access and gay rights.

http://www.afa.net/the-stand/press-releases/2016/09/help-the-nfl-to-discipline-colin-kaepernick/

I know a lot of Nebraskans who think it is imperative that the head football coach at the University is an evangelical. We had three Catholic coaches in a row and it was one of the reasons that many fans I know were on the "Fire the Coach!" bandwagon for two of them. Especially for the last one who had a winning record. 

Oy vey!  I can see the AFA is up to their usual assholish behavior.  Why is it that only they and their ilk are permitted to express their political opinion?

@louisa05,  some Nebraskans wanted to fire a winning coach just because he's Catholic?  That's weird enough for South Carolina.  In fact, USC hired the Catholic and ex- head coach of Notre Dame, Lou Holtz, to be their head coach some years ago.  I think that Holtz was fairly successful at the job.  I don't remember anyone complaining that he was Catholic.  

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

Oy vey!  I can see the AFA is up to their usual assholish behavior.  Why is it that only they and their ilk are permitted to express their political opinion?

@louisa05,  some Nebraskans wanted to fire a winning coach just because he's Catholic?  That's weird enough for South Carolina.  In fact, USC hired the Catholic and ex- head coach of Notre Dame, Lou Holtz, to be their head coach some years ago.  I think that Holtz was fairly successful at the job.  I don't remember anyone complaining that he was Catholic.  

The evangelicals I know blamed everything they didn't like about the guy on his being Catholic and complained that he and his staff (except one loudmouthed evangelical assistant) could not possibly be good people or role models for the players because he was a practicing Catholic. Others said firing him would be great because they needed a coach who is a "man of faith" and when reminded that he was a practicing Catholic--according to parishioners I know at the church he was a member of he went to mass every Sunday with his family--who sent his kids to Catholic schools, they saw it as a reason he was not a person of faith. 

The guy they hired to replace him has a lifetime head coaching record under .500 and had a losing season here last year (a rarity for the program) and they are all fine with that because he has in the past spouted off about Jesus and (Protestant) church thus he has "integrity". There is no public evidence that he is much of an evangelical or anything at all though. 

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I know a lot of Nebraskans who think it is imperative that the head football coach at the University is an evangelical. We had three Catholic coaches in a row and it was one of the reasons that many fans I know were on the "Fire the Coach!" bandwagon for two of them. Especially for the last one who had a winning record. 

That's so crazy! Even my state-- Alabama-- isn't that weird. I'm almost positive the current UA football coach is Catholic. They named the Catholic student center at Tuscaloosa after him and everything. 

Very strange. At least with Kaepernick, it's something visible to people watching. I have yet to meet a sports coach who shows up to the game wearing an "I'm a Catholic" tshirt.

Seriously?!?!?  High levels of poverty, high level of divorce, absentee parents, abused children, etc. and they want to waste time on Colin Kaepernick?  How is sitting for the anthem harming families?  You know what is harming families?  The issue that Colin is protesting.  Why aren't they talking about that?  Oh, yeah.  Because they really don't give a shit about American families.  All they care about is pushing their political agenda.  No surprise there.

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The evangelicals I know blamed everything they didn't like about the guy on his being Catholic and complained that he and his staff (except one loudmouthed evangelical assistant) could not possibly be good people or role models for the players because he was a practicing Catholic. Others said firing him would be great because they needed a coach who is a "man of faith" and when reminded that he was a practicing Catholic--according to parishioners I know at the church he was a member of he went to mass every Sunday with his family--who sent his kids to Catholic schools, they saw it as a reason he was not a person of faith. 

The guy they hired to replace him has a lifetime head coaching record under .500 and had a losing season here last year (a rarity for the program) and they are all fine with that because he has in the past spouted off about Jesus and (Protestant) church thus he has "integrity". There is no public evidence that he is much of an evangelical or anything at all though. 

Well that's what they get for getting a Protestant to try and do a Catholic's job.

1 hour ago, Childless said:

Seriously?!?!?  High levels of poverty, high level of divorce, absentee parents, abused children, etc. and they want to waste time on Colin Kaepernick?  How is sitting for the anthem harming families?  You know what is harming families?  The issue that Colin is protesting.  Why aren't they talking about that?  Oh, yeah.  Because they really don't give a shit about American families.  All they care about is pushing their political agenda.  No surprise there.

Actually - the most recent game he didn't sit. He 'took a knee' during the anthem at the suggestion of someone.  

@louisa05,  back in the 70s when I was at UGA, the head coach of the Bulldogs was Vince Dooley.  He was a regular at Mass at the Catholic Center, the Newman ministry at UGA.  When the Dawgs won that Saturday, Vince would help take up collection.  According to Father Joe, they always got more in the collection basket that week.

That's so crazy! Even my state-- Alabama-- isn't that weird. I'm almost positive the current UA football coach is Catholic. They named the Catholic student center at Tuscaloosa after him and everything. 

I can't help but throw out ROLL TIDE!

21 hours ago, Terrie said:

The AFA, which issues an annual report on the "War on Christmas" among other things, now is calling on the NFL to dicipline Kaepernick. Because football is as much a conservative Christian cause as fighting abortion access and gay rights.

http://www.afa.net/the-stand/press-releases/2016/09/help-the-nfl-to-discipline-colin-kaepernick/

Ah, yes, because a sport where big, muscular, sweaty guys in Spandex tackle and manhandle each other is so in line with their values and sexual mores.

On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 7:06 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Ah, yes, because a sport where big, muscular, sweaty guys in Spandex tackle and manhandle each other is so in line with their values and sexual mores.

Don't forget the smacking of each others' butts! 

Locker room talk is anything but promoting family values. They don't have prayer meetings, that's for damn sure.

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Locker room talk is anything but promoting family values. They don't have prayer meetings, that's for damn sure.

And how about how fans in the stands and at home in front of the TV talk? If the AFA only knew how much I swear on average during an LSU game... 

I can't imagine how football or most sports can be anything in a christian faith. fighting over a ball has anything to do with christianity? trying to win over someone else is ok?? 

2 hours ago, AliC said:

And how about how fans in the stands and at home in front of the TV talk? If the AFA only knew how much I swear on average during an LSU game... 

Hell, how many fans at home stand for the National Anthem? I do like that he kneels instead of sitting now. More deliberate looking, less "can't be bothered."

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Hell, how many fans at home stand for the National Anthem? I do like that he kneels instead of sitting now. More deliberate looking, less "can't be bothered."

Exactly! I have to imagine most are safely esconced in their recliners, popping the top on their beers while waiting for the main event. I have to say that the mental image of millions of fans standing, hand over heart, fervently staring at their televisions is somewhat disturbing. A little Stepford brainwashing - sporting edition!

I don't understand the purpose of the anthem at a sporting event anyway. Olympics or international competition, sure. You're representing your country, but a regular team against team thing - what's the point? I'm pretty sure God and Country aren't taking sides in the next Giants/Patriots game.

4 hours ago, AliC said:

GEAUX TIGERS!

Yeah, my kids have learned their unacceptable language from me.  Especially after last week's game... :my_cry:

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Exactly! I have to imagine most are safely esconced in their recliners, popping the top on their beers while waiting for the main event. I have to say that the mental image of millions of fans standing, hand over heart, fervently staring at their televisions is somewhat disturbing. A little Stepford brainwashing - sporting edition!

I don't understand the purpose of the anthem at a sporting event anyway. Olympics or international competition, sure. You're representing your country, but a regular team against team thing - what's the point? I'm pretty sure God and Country aren't taking sides in the next Giants/Patriots game.

I keep seeing the "Do you think the National Anthem should be played at every sporting event?" meme on Facebook.  Isn't it already?

54 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I keep seeing the "Do you think the National Anthem should be played at every sporting event?" meme on Facebook.  Isn't it already?

Those memes drive me crazy. 

I subbed third grade on Wednesday. At the beginning of the day, we said the Pledge. After lunch we had a cursive lesson. 

So those two memes also need to get off my newsfeed already. 

5 hours ago, doggie said:

I can't imagine how football or most sports can be anything in a christian faith. fighting over a ball has anything to do with christianity? trying to win over someone else is ok?? 

In much of the South and Texas, the football culture, especially at the high school and college level, does have a heavy evangelical flavor. The idea seems to be that being a football player is a way to be an "athlete for Christ" or something and that it "molds character." At the pro level, it's a bit different, but since many people think of football as the quintessential American game, perhaps the AFA thinks that the whole thing has to be an exercise in "100 percent Americanism."

8 hours ago, AliC said:

You don't even want to know how much I was swearing during last weekend's game... :(  Those darn Badgers!

Like it or not, Kaepernick has the right to remain seated for the pledge and/or anthem, and that's that.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

In much of the South and Texas, the football culture, especially at the high school and college level, does have a heavy evangelical flavor. The idea seems to be that being a football player is a way to be an "athlete for Christ" or something and that it "molds character." At the pro level, it's a bit different, but since many people think of football as the quintessential American game, perhaps the AFA thinks that the whole thing has to be an exercise in "100 percent Americanism."

same with guns but it still does not make it christian. how the human deviates from the norm (G)

Archived