IGNORED

Because football is now a "family value"

35 minutes ago, doggie said:

same with guns but it still does not make it christian. how the human deviates from the norm (G)

I think the baptism of football by conservative Christians in the US is similar to how medieval warlords created the chivalric ideal to baptize their marauding endeavors. In both cases, the existing culture is/was being given a Christian gloss, rather than changing the culture to fit higher ideals. However, I guess when a religion makes the jump from sect to church, compromises will inevitably result.

The church-sect typology was proposed by Ernst Troeltsch, who said that churches embrace society, including the use of the powers of the state and the ruling classes, whereas sects are smaller, ideologically purer groups that reject society to varying degrees. When Christianity made the jump from sect to church in Europe, I imagine a lot of things got lost in translation, especially in trying to adapt a "religion of the book" to societies where literacy was the exception, rather than the rule.

I'm surprised they haven't recycled the meme with a teacher saying "Yes, Billy, you have the right not to stand for the Pledge.  Now meet someone who fought for that right and now can't stand(cue veteran in wheelchair)."

This is only tangentially related, but I got a kick out of it.  In the beginning of this clip, Brother Bob is bloviating about what he's going to do after he wins his lawsuit with ABC after the "Primetime Live" exposé.  The relevant part is around 1:35.

Well, Alabama football is definitely a family value in my family. I'm hosting a family party for the AL/W KY game later. ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think the baptism of football by conservative Christians in the US is similar to how medieval warlords created the chivalric ideal to baptize their marauding endeavors. In both cases, the existing culture is/was being given a Christian gloss, rather than changing the culture to fit higher ideals. However, I guess when a religion makes the jump from sect to church, compromises will inevitably result.

The church-sect typology was proposed by Ernst Troeltsch, who said that churches embrace society, including the use of the powers of the state and the ruling classes, whereas sects are smaller, ideologically purer groups that reject society to varying degrees. When Christianity made the jump from sect to church in Europe, I imagine a lot of things got lost in translation, especially in trying to adapt a "religion of the book" to societies where literacy was the exception, rather than the rule.

Religious or state reform/appropriation/co-optation in a nutshell:

"I wanna do a thing!"

"But our religion/government system says that you shouldn't do that thing."

"It's OK, I found a really obscure quote that might have kinda sorta mentioned something kind of like the thing! Now I can do the thing!"

I'm sorry you heathens don't agree with football being a family value, I personally love my tradition of sitting down to a football game and oogling at all the men's tight butts. Thank you god, for inventing football butt pads, amen. 

10 hours ago, meep said:

I'm sorry you heathens don't agree with football being a family value, I personally love my tradition of sitting down to a football game and oogling at all the men's tight butts. Thank you god, for inventing football butt pads, amen. 

I prefer lovely male butts to be attached to baseball players :my_angel:

14 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

I prefer lovely male butts to be attached to baseball players :my_angel:

Remember Bucky Dent, anyone??  I had his poster on my bedroom wall when I was a teenager.  Proof of my good taste in the fellows!

@smittykins,  I saw something similar to that meme on my sister's FB today.  I DID NOT "like" it.  In fact, I might write a comment on support of the protest tomorrow.  Sometimes, it doesn't pay to look at her Facebook.  

Archived