IGNORED

Rescue mission to Antarctica

SpoonfulOSugar

Fascinating challenge underway for those tasked with caring for the health of the team of researchers at the South Pole.

Someone is ill enough that pilots are undertaking a risky middle of the winter trip:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/16/a-rare-risky-mission-is-underway-to-rescue-sick-scientists-from-the-south-pole/

I remember when the scientist treated her own breast cancer back in 1999.  It's interesting to read of the difficulties and dangers - when not facing them myself.

I saw this headline today and wanted to read more, but Washington Post won't let me look at them anymore without subscribing to a newsletter which I do not want. Here's a wired version of the story for anyone who has a similar problem http://www.wired.com/2016/06/rescue-scientist-south-pole-middle-winter/

Either way, interesting story! Its so fascinating to me that Antarctica is so similar to outer space with the remoteness and inability to just "get help" when needed. We have a few of those places left in North America but they are so few and far between, and help is still available within a few days, weather permitting.

Thanks for posting! I remember a few months ago being fascinated reading that one of the big banks has an ATM in Antartica, and why/how it's there. I hope that research scientist makes it back and gets the care he/she needs.

On 6/17/2016 at 5:50 PM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I remember when the scientist treated her own breast cancer back in 1999.  It's interesting to read of the difficulties and dangers - when not facing them myself.

Sadly, Jerri FitzGerald (age 57)  passed away in 2009 from a recurrence of breast cancer.  If you're interested, her book, Ice Bound: A Doctor’s Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole, is a good read and offers a compelling description of conditions encountered while wintering over at the South Pole. 

Archived