IGNORED

Seattle's All-Female City Council Harrassed by Male Sports Fans

Cleopatra7

And people wonder why I have such a low opinion of professional sports culture:

When women in power take on a city’s beloved sports institution, shocking things can happen. Earlier this month, the five women who make up the first female majority on Seattle’s nine-member city council in nearly two decades voted against a street-use ordinance  that would have helped bring a new basketball arena to the city. The women immediately faced  a wave of misogynistic attacks, violent threats, and charges of gender-based incompetence.

Some writers simply called the women names: “This is why women get paid less than men at this level. Irrational/emotional thinking takes president [sic] over reason in important decision making,” one letter read. “I fucking hate those BITCHES ,THERE NOT GONNA BE IN OFFICE IN 2 YEARS AND THEY SAY NO .. THEY CAN BURN IN HELL,” said another. Others said the council members  lacked the intelligence to understand how important sports are to the city: “This is why women get paid less than men at this level.Irrational/emotional thinking takes president [sic] over reason in important decision making.” And one writer, a local attorney, signed his name to an email to all five women that read, in part: “As women, I understand that you spend a lot of your time trying to please others (mostly on your knees) but I can only hope that you each find ways to quickly and painfully end yourselves. Each of you should rot in hell for what you took from me yesterday.” (After a local activist filed a complaint with the state bar association, the attorney, Jason Feldman, issued a written apology. He didn’t respond to a request for comment.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/seattle-sonics-arena-harassment/483743/

Fuck these bastards! I cannot believe they got away with this!

Archived