IGNORED

So TLC approached a friend of mine.

DGayle

I'm not sure which forum to put this in, but TLC talk seems to be here.

A friend of mine is a little person. He married a woman who is average height. They have a handful of kids, a couple little like him, the rest typical. He's been on talk shows in the past. They want him to do a show with the angle of little person, tall person. I'm disappointed that he's seriously considering it. If the price is right, he's going to sell his and his kids' lives, and his life is on board.

Freak/Normie. So fatty/skinny next? Neocon/Liberal? The all-the-family's-the-same routine might be about over.

Unfortunately, a lot of people today are after quick money without thinking of the possible ramifications to everyone else.

What is it with TLC and little people?

Are there no extremely tall people out there? No pig farmer who is part Polish, Pygmy, and Panamanian married to a mute Russian transgendered woman to exploit? No more men with testicles larger than basketballs?

Little people are just.....little people. It's getting very dull.

Maybe it is not so bad.

The freak quotient is actually low in this scenario (in my opinion). It is an opportunity to showcase how little people and avg height people can have a functioning marriage. It is spreading good attitudes rather than harmful attitudes.

Did your friend give any info about how much TLC offers new talent?

I thought the Duggars 40K per episode was low and they had a lot of viewers.

Are there no extremely tall people out there? No pig farmer who is part Polish, Pygmy, and Panamanian married to a mute Russian transgendered woman to exploit? No more men with testicles larger than basketballs?

They bring a bigger crowd I guess. Plus, those who want to gawk at tall people just watch basketball...

Didn't they have a show about a guy from Eastern Europe who has giantism? It wasn't a whole series about him but he was part of an ensemble of "freaks" they thought we would be interested in. There was also an American woman, but I believe she has died. The Euro guy may have died too.

They seem to like to show us super obese people as well. I am actually interested in watching those shows, but they turn out to just be so stupid. To me it comes off as elaborate fat shaming. Obesity is one of those things where there is a lot of mythology around how one gets to be 500 to 1000 lbs and even scientific information does not sway belief in the mythology. Even suggesting that there are multiple factors contributing to being 500 or more lbs overweight (rather than they just like cheeseburgers) can make people freak out. And TLC contributes to that by putting on a show about someone who weighs so much they can't walk or roll over by themselves and some dr shames them for an hour because they haven't met their weight loss goals.

TLC could do better.

Maybe it is not so bad.

The freak quotient is actually low in this scenario (in my opinion). It is an opportunity to showcase how little people and avg height people can have a functioning marriage. It is spreading good attitudes rather than harmful attitudes.

I know I'm not alone when I say I find Peter Dinklage kinda hot.

To your point, though, I think some credit has to be given to Matt and Amy Roloff for showing the world that little people are just regular people. They were so dysfunctional in ways that had nothing to do with their size that I think everyone stopped noticing after a season or two that they even were little people.

Did your friend specify if they're offering a series or just a special or two? I could see agreeing to a special for the extra bit of cash but being part of the TLC line-up has too much potential for bad long-term outcomes.

That's funny, I was actually just approached today by someone casting for a TLC show who wanted to talk to me. I'm not interested in being on tv at all, though, and certainly not one of the reality shows in the freak show genre.

TLC is the carnival freak show of TV. why wait till the caucus is in town you can bring it right into your living room and gawk and the freaks. not calling the people on it freaks unless we are talking the duggers but that it has the freakshow vibe.

I know I'm not alone when I say I find Peter Dinklage kinda hot.

To your point, though, I think some credit has to be given to Matt and Amy Roloff for showing the world that little people are just regular people. They were so dysfunctional in ways that had nothing to do with their size that I think everyone stopped noticing after a season or two that they even were little people.

He IS hot. I would run off with him in a second :-P

TLC has been advertising their new show, My Giant Life. No, it's not a joke.

That's funny, I was actually just approached today by someone casting for a TLC show who wanted to talk to me. I'm not interested in being on tv at all, though, and certainly not one of the reality shows in the freak show genre.

I'm dying for details! I'm really hesitant to prod for more details from my friend, but will from you. Spill! Please?

Did your friend specify if they're offering a series or just a special or two? I could see agreeing to a special for the extra bit of cash but being part of the TLC line-up has too much potential for bad long-term outcomes.

Since I'm not asking more info, all I know is what he's posted, which is, "If the price per episode if right." A single special or a couple isn't a big deal. His own mom weighed in too, and she said she really doesn't like the idea of her grandkids growing up on TV, especially the youngest. The youngest is also a little person, and she has tons of medical issues. Thankfully they're in a financial position that they can easily afford everything she needs. The thread's pretty long, and only 2 people think it's a great idea, and the rest so far as against it for the kids' sakes. Someone asked if they'll be taking the Duggars' spot.

I'm dying for details! I'm really hesitant to prod for more details from my friend, but will from you. Spill! Please?

It's really nothing too exciting, just someone contacting me after seeing some things I wrote on another forum, but since I'm a bit hesitant to say why I was contacted maybe I'll post it in AYTFJ.

Since I'm not asking more info, all I know is what he's posted, which is, "If the price per episode if right." A single special or a couple isn't a big deal. His own mom weighed in too, and she said she really doesn't like the idea of her grandkids growing up on TV, especially the youngest. The youngest is also a little person, and she has tons of medical issues. Thankfully they're in a financial position that they can easily afford everything she needs. The thread's pretty long, and only 2 people think it's a great idea, and the rest so far as against it for the kids' sakes. Someone asked if they'll be taking the Duggars' spot.

I sincerely hope your friend listens to his mother and turns down TLC's offer. If I were ever approached to be on a reality show, I would turn them down. The only reason they seek you out is because they either believe your life is a trainwreck, or that you are willing to pretend that it's a trainwreck for the right price.

People don't want to watch a healthy family calmly resolving their differences. They want to watch one-armed circus clowns get drunk and shoot guns with their buttocks, and fight over the proceeds from the brothel they run in Nevada.

Nope. :hand:

My neighbors are little person/average height person w/ a toddler who I believe will be average height.

They are nice people, he's in IT, she's a stay at home mom, kid is adorable w/ curls.

I don't see show potential. :shrug

I can understand curiosity regarding little people. I couldn't stand the Roloffs so I never watched that show. I tolerated Bill & Jen for a while and learned a lot, but I grew tired of them fairly quickly.

I can't imagine why TLC would want to do yet another little person show, unless there is more to it. I get the "little person/big person" angle. I suppose that could be interesting for a bit.

Can you give us more details about your friend? Do they have kids, interesting career, etc? If not, I understand.

edited to ask - wasn't there talk about a gay little couple show being in the works (maybe wasn't TLC)?

I hate to say this, but could part of the appeal for TLC be because their youngest is a little person with additional medical issues?

I agree. This doesn't sound like it's a very good idea. Especially because TLC really doesn't have a great reputation or track record at the moment.

And what kind of parents would willingly put their sick child on a reality show like that?! Do they honestly think it would be in her best interests?!

I sincerely hope your friend listens to his mother and turns down TLC's offer. If I were ever approached to be on a reality show, I would turn them down. The only reason they seek you out is because they either believe your life is a trainwreck, or that you are willing to pretend that it's a trainwreck for the right price.

People don't want to watch a healthy family calmly resolving their differences. They want to watch one-armed circus clowns get drunk and shoot guns with their buttocks, and fight over the proceeds from the brothel they run in Nevada.

Nope. :hand:

I agree, there's no way I would agree to be on a reality show, nor would I want to be in the background of one. Anyway, my family is mostly boring these days since we've all cut off all contact with the craziest member who did make us a freak show.

I can understand curiosity regarding little people. I couldn't stand the Roloffs so I never watched that show. I tolerated Bill & Jen for a while and learned a lot, but I grew tired of them fairly quickly.

I can't imagine why TLC would want to do yet another little person show, unless there is more to it. I get the "little person/big person" angle. I suppose that could be interesting for a bit.

Can you give us more details about your friend? Do they have kids, interesting career, etc? If not, I understand.

edited to ask - wasn't there talk about a gay little couple show being in the works (maybe wasn't TLC)?

They know the Roloffs personally! They've seen what happened there.

I've mentioned their kids. They have 5, including a little person/big person set of twins, and don't want anymore. Their careers are dull. Medical office aid for her, receptionist for him. There's no drama or anything. Anything to make a show interesting would have to be manufactured. He even called his own life boring.

I hate to say this, but could part of the appeal for TLC be because their youngest is a little person with additional medical issues?

I agree. This doesn't sound like it's a very good idea. Especially because TLC really doesn't have a great reputation or track record at the moment.

And what kind of parents would willingly put their sick child on a reality show like that?! Do they honestly think it would be in her best interests?!

Could be, but the medical issues aren't interesting or exciting, and how could TCL know about that? He's known because he did talk shows and other stuff to get known.

They're both seeing dollar signs, even though they're financially fine. They had dull jobs, but a healthy trust fund from his wife. They aren't filthy rich, but they make ends meet with enough left over for a nice yearly vacation.

He hasn't said anything new that's noteworthy yet. I hope he turns it down. The oldest is in school, and doesn't need to become a celebrity in a smallish town.

One reason is for help to pay for medical costs. It is extremely expensive to have a disabled child.

One reason is for help to pay for medical costs. It is extremely expensive to have a disabled child.

Except 1 of them has a trust (stipulation to receipt is having a full time job), and all medical bills have been entirely covered. They also both have their parents living very close. They have weekly date nights, and have been able to take week-long trips without the kids. They really aren't hurting for money or help, even though they aren't millionaires.

I think they think they might get a massive windfall like the Duggars got.

Archived