IGNORED

6 Shark Attack in NC in Two Weeks

roddma

It is upsetting, Native North Carolinians like me know not to swim near fishing piers. The water is warmer than usual this year which brings the sharks in. I also think more people visiting NC and being in the water increases your chances of getting bitten. We are in their backyard. :shrug: I am more upset that all of the beach stores are selling "I survived shark attack" merchandise----classy.

It is upsetting, Native North Carolinians like me know not to swim near fishing piers. The water is warmer than usual this year which brings the sharks in. I also think more people visiting NC and being in the water increases your chances of getting bitten. We are in their backyard. :shrug: I am more upset that all of the beach stores are selling "I survived shark attack" merchandise----classy.[/quote]

Are they really? :doh:

I live in NC but we typically go to the SC beaches because we like going to state parks and SC has better cabins and camping areas than NC.

I really hate the sensationalism of shark bites in the media. They are still incredibly rare. Something like 1 in 12 million rare. If it seems like an increase, could it just be that there are more people in the water? Or is it that the water is warmer? Does anyone know for sure? Probably not, because the sample size is REALLY small.

I really hate the sensationalism of shark bites in the media. They are still incredibly rare. Something like 1 in 12 million rare. If it seems like an increase, could it just be that there are more people in the water? Or is it that the water is warmer? Does anyone know for sure? Probably not, because the sample size is REALLY small.

Reporting from shark attack central here (Australia), and yes, although still rare, the prevalence of shark attacks in the 20th century is somewhat attributable to an increase in people being in the water from early 20th century onwards. Additionally, their usual food sources are seals, turtles, smaller whales etc., and there is speculation that when a human is in the water wearing a wetsuit, to the sharks (who have relatively bad eyesight) the human looks like a seal.

We regularly have a couple of shark attacks, but our popular swimming beaches are patrolled by surf lifesavers who keep an eye out, and there are flagged off "safe" areas for people to swim in. Swimming/surfing at sunrise, sunset, or after a storm isn't a good idea.Storms stir up fish etc that the sharks may feed on.

I hate the knee jerk reaction that often happens after a shark attack where idiots take off in boats to kill the shark. How do they know which one? Do they stop and ask the sharks who it was? A lot of surfers have a great respect for the sea and sea animals, and don't agree with culling either, even after they have been bitten.

Reporting from shark attack central here (Australia), and yes, although still rare, the prevalence of shark attacks in the 20th century is somewhat attributable to an increase in people being in the water from early 20th century onwards. Additionally, their usual food sources are seals, turtles, smaller whales etc., and there is speculation that when a human is in the water wearing a wetsuit, to the sharks (who have relatively bad eyesight) the human looks like a seal.

We regularly have a couple of shark attacks, but our popular swimming beaches are patrolled by surf lifesavers who keep an eye out, and there are flagged off "safe" areas for people to swim in. Swimming/surfing at sunrise, sunset, or after a storm isn't a good idea.Storms stir up fish etc that the sharks may feed on.

I hate the knee jerk reaction that often happens after a shark attack where idiots take off in boats to kill the shark. How do they know which one? Do they stop and ask the sharks who it was? A lot of surfers have a great respect for the sea and sea animals, and don't agree with culling either, even after they have been bitten.

I agree that shark attacks tend to be rare, and cases of mistaken identity where the shark mistakes a surfer for a seal. Now, my local airport sells t-shirts in the terminals that have a shark saying, "Send more tourists, the last ones were delicious." The place one is more likely to see sharks is at the aquarium where they even have a tank where you can touch some species that aren't known for biting humans unless one puts a finger in their mouths.

I agree that shark attacks tend to be rare, and cases of mistaken identity where the shark mistakes a surfer for a seal. Now, my local airport sells t-shirts in the terminals that have a shark saying, "Send more tourists, the last ones were delicious." The place one is more likely to see sharks is at the aquarium where they even have a tank where you can touch some species that aren't known for biting humans unless one puts a finger in their mouths.

We have the same shirt. Only instead of sharks, it's a bear.

ADoyle90815, When my youngest daughter was a wee toddler, we went to the New England Aquarium in Boston. She loved looking at the sharks swimming around in the tanks, but she was terrified of the giant turtles.

Archived