IGNORED

Dining with Doug and YEA colonialism!

fuglyexfundy

Doug seems to think that one of the major benefits of colonialism, is that treats like fish n' chips were bequeathed to the conquered people. For that reason, the world is a brighter place. But don't forget! Now the English can experience Indian cooking. That must be a good trade off for oppression. Maybe he'll tie a dominion theme in there somewhere...

Hmmm. Anyone notice how weirdly close Douglicious was sitting next to that guy at the counter? Maybe it's just a bad camera angle. I don't know, I'm not a mass comm person. Sorry that I can't seem to find the video on vimeo... so here's Doug's broken link: http://www.visionforumdotcom/news/blogs/doug/

I'd love for the day to arrive when Doug just says, "Doug here. I'm eating these fish and chips. This is what I do on my vacations that are a tax writeoff or at least deductible. Fattening? So? My interns and I will just drop to the deck over and over for exercise." All without his thesaurus.

Guest Anonymous
Doug seems to think that one of the major benefits of colonialism, is that treats like fish n' chips were bequeathed to the conquered people. For that reason, the world is a brighter place. But don't forget! Now the English can experience Indian cooking. That must be a good trade off for oppression. Maybe he'll tie a dominion theme in there somewhere...

Hmmm. Anyone notice how weirdly close Douglicious was sitting next to that guy at the counter? Maybe it's just a bad camera angle. I don't know, I'm not a mass comm person. Sorry that I can't seem to find the video on vimeo... so here's Doug's broken link: http://www.visionforumdotcom/news/blogs/doug/

I'd love for the day to arrive when Doug just says, "Doug here. I'm eating these fish and chips. This is what I do on my vacations that are a tax writeoff or at least deductible. Fattening? So? My interns and I will just drop to the deck over and over for exercise." All without his thesaurus.

Those interns had better keep him in front of them and not behind them. Oh, and boys, remember to watch out for anacondas and one-eyed trouser snakes.

Dougie has no concept of personal space, does he?

Also, why is Will Forte on the cover of the D-Day video?

This video gives me the sense that Doug's walking a tightrope. On the one hand, he's desperately obsessed with things that, for him, signal upper-class sophistication -- foreign travel, symphonies, "gastronomy," and the like. At the same time, though, he needs the support of the Christian fundamentalist community, which often views those things with suspicion or even contempt. I know he's trying to convince his followers that an ideal Christian society would have all the things he values, but I wonder if they truly believe him.

He's not in England, he's in SCOTLAND. They are not the same.

Is fish and chips like, rare in most of the US? I've eaten fish and chips my whole life.

Dougie looks like he's half in the bag in this video.

Doug looks very rosy-cheeked in that video, and YES, he is entirely too close.

Guest Anonymous
This video gives me the sense that Doug's walking a tightrope. On the one hand, he's desperately obsessed with things that, for him, signal upper-class sophistication -- foreign travel, symphonies, "gastronomy," and the like. At the same time, though, he needs the support of the Christian fundamentalist community, which often views those things with suspicion or even contempt. I know he's trying to convince his followers that an ideal Christian society would have all the things he values, but I wonder if they truly believe him.

He aspires to worldliness and urbanity, especially anywhere that outsiders congregate, as potential witnesses. However, he still can't afford to alienate the troglodytes who make up most of his customer base. They still supply the bulk of the funds that finance his posturing.

Is fish and chips like, rare in most of the US? I've eaten fish and chips my whole life.

I don't think so. I can get decent fish and chips in places in PA, and I can get fish and chips in NJ and NY that are close to, if not better than, what I've had in the UK.

I find it hilarious that he's talking about "gastronomy" while eating fish and chips. I've always associated that meal with working-class people, not haute cuisine, you know? I'm not knocking it as a delicious food, just saying that it's not exactly the first thing that pops to mind when thinking "fine dining." It would be sort of like calling cornmeal mush a gourmet meal. Tasty, yes. Comfort food, yes. Gourmet? No.

I find it interesting that Dougie is practically sitting in Bill Potter's lap in the video. If they were any closer they would be....anyway!!!! Can't you just hear Bill say to Dougie, "Just one more bite, Dougie Darling"....of fish, of course, and chips.

I find it hilarious that he's talking about "gastronomy" while eating fish and chips. I've always associated that meal with working-class people, not haute cuisine, you know? I'm not knocking it as a delicious food, just saying that it's not exactly the first thing that pops to mind when thinking "fine dining." It would be sort of like calling cornmeal mush a gourmet meal. Tasty, yes. Comfort food, yes. Gourmet? No.

To be fair, it's hard to find gastronomic delights in either Scottish or English diets. Way too much frying and fats.

But with so much other culture abounding - why not do a video about the churches and castles and hills and fens and lochs instead of frakkin' fish & chips?

You've obviously never experienced decent English food then!

I know this has been discussed already on the Old Board but... what's with the VF crowd wearing replica Vet uniforms? I find it troubling to say the least.

And fish 'n chips is not 'gastronomy' by a long shot. I think Phillips is striving for some kind of faux Neo-Victorian sophistication. Or something.

:flags-wavegreatbritain:

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

My only association with fish and chips is the Friday fish fry for lent. I imagine Doug would be disturbed to think of fish fry as Catholic considering his views.

Guest Anonymous

To be fair, it's hard to find gastronomic delights in either Scottish or English diets. Way too much frying and fats.

:doh: Really????

Ugh, worst pseudo food/history lesson ever. Blegh. Stick to things you know about Dougie, like sweaty manly romps through the jungle.

He's not in England, he's in SCOTLAND. They are not the same.

Dougie looks like he's half in the bag in this video.

Thanks for that geography lesson.

Doug was remarking about the number of Indian restaurants in L O N D O N. Unless he edited the video from the time I watched it, for some reason. Most people from the US and Asia tend to associate Fish and Chips with the English.

To be fair, any time that I've been to an expensive restaurant in London, fish and chips has always been on the menu. I've never been able to bring myself to have it as I like to try different things at restaurants and I can get fish and chips pretty much anywhere. It always looks tempting though and I'm sure it's totally different from your standard chip shop fish and chips.

I agree!! :flags-wavegreatbritain: (and before anyone says anything, yes I know that's the flag of Great Britain not England, but there wasn't an English flag smilie on offer)

I was told how poor English food was before I went for a visit as a child; I fell in love with curry and Indian food there. I wonder why Dougie and interns did not have Indian food if they were chasing "gastronomical delights".

Margaret Cho does a wonderful stand up routine about how gay men get fab abs. I bet those poor interns are getting a similar work out after all of the fried food.

Archived