IGNORED

feminism v. slavery

gustava

Fundy SAHD/SAHM are grounded in the Bible, according to them. What about slavery, which is definitely-absolutely-nokidding a very, very basic Biblical happening. As was pimping. cf. Abraham, Sarah, and Hagar.

So do fundies approve of slavery and fucking your wife's slave at her behest?

I've always said that the whole "biblical" thing is mostly just a way to justify their odd lifestyle. "Because God says so" sounds more like a real reason than "Because I feel like it."

I've always said that the whole "biblical" thing is mostly just a way to justify their odd lifestyle. "Because God says so" sounds more like a real reason than "Because I feel like it."

100% agree with this.

I'm pretty sure slavery falls under that whole "We follow the KJV to the letter, especially the Old Testament, except when we don't feel like it" sort of thing.

Perhaps they've replaced traditional slavery with stay at home daughters?

But seriously, there's plenty of stuff people who take the bible literally don't actually take literaly. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of stuff in there about helping the needy, and nothing adding that you should only help them if you find them worthy. And then they make up a whole bunch of stuff that isn't even there like the whole stay at home daughter thing. so they believe the parts they feel like but they insist they don't do that. Which is the part I dislike the most.

What I was taught in my fundy-lite church was that slavery was only wrong if it was race-based slavery. Also that God was unhappy with the Hagar incident.

It's just a way to gloss over issues they don't want to deal with. No different than the polygamy issue. God clearly had absolutely no issue with polygamy, but Christians today are outraged by the idea.

Edit cause auto correct sucks ass

A lot of them try to pretend that the translation is wrong and the slaves were voluntary servants. Some will even go so far as to say that it was actual slavery but that the slaves willingly signed up for it, hoping that nobody will notice the slaves captured in war or sold by their parents. I think many people also don't realize that a concubine is a sexual slave, and they think it's just like a mistress or something.

It's sort of like how Anna Duggar's dad thinks wine was actually grape juice, so slaves were actually servents.

We always explained it away along the lines of "their slavery was indentured servitude, and they treated their slaves better."

Not that minimum wage slavery is all that much better...

I was always taught that slavery was a fact of times and that it is a descriptive, not prescriptive, part of the Bible.

A lot of them try to pretend that the translation is wrong and the slaves were voluntary servants. Some will even go so far as to say that it was actual slavery but that the slaves willingly signed up for it, hoping that nobody will notice the slaves captured in war or sold by their parents. I think many people also don't realize that a concubine is a sexual slave, and they think it's just like a mistress or something.

It's sort of like how Anna Duggar's dad thinks wine was actually grape juice, so slaves were actually servents.

Well, to be fair, this is somewhat plausible. There is one Latin word that means both slave and servant. I think Greek is the same, and I wouldn't be surprised if other ancient languages were as well. In my Bible as Lit class last semester, we did an assignment where we compared three different translations of the same passage. I did the parable of the talents, just because I liked it, and one of the things I wrote about was how two of the translations used the word "slave" while the third one used "servant." Now, of course, this is one passage and slavery comes up throughout the Bible. I'm not trying to deny that. But translation is a tricky thing. I don't know much about older languages, but most Latin words have multiple meanings, and the whole meaning of a passage can change based on which one the translator decides to go with.

I don't know if slave and servant are the same in Hebrew or in Aramaic. That would be an easy way of clearing up the slavery argument, but I am not one of those good Jews who went to Hebrew school.

Archived