IGNORED

Raising the next generation of misogynists?

moodygirl86

I've always known this is probably why we have so many entitled arseholes - particularly sexist ones - walking around our world, but this is the first time I've had it confirmed so blatantly...

One of our tenants rang up yesterday to report that her back door was stiff and hard to open. This wasn't classed as an emergency, as her front door was fine. I checked the diary, which gave me a date for next week. She asked why we couldn't get anyone out sooner than that. I explained, and she said that her three year-old son's wheelchair wouldn't fit through the front. We had no record on the system of anybody in their house having any mobility issues, so I asked her a bit more about this with the intention of adding this to their file. She then admitted it wasn't actually a wheelchair but a buggy - if her or her daughter tried to get him to walk, he would scream the place down as he didn't like walking, or being told what to do! I did speak to my boss, who was as incredulous as me, but told me to treat it as an emergency anyway, as the buggy not fitting through the door could be classed as a fire hazard, and we could be sued if anything did happen.

But then I thought of Geoffrey Botkins, Josh Duggar, Steve Maxwell and some of the other manchildren we snark about on here. Men like them are control freaks and expect to be worshipped as gods and always expect to get their way. They must have been extremely arrogant to start with of course, but they've been done no favours by always getting what they want, and rarely being contradicted, especially by their female relatives. I dread to think what this Little Lord Fauntleroy is going to be like as an adult because none of the womenfolk in his life ever said "No, you can bloody well walk!"

Thoughts?

I don't necessarily think they'll grow up to be misogynists, but spoiled, entitled and unable to play nicely with others? Definitely.

We just recently had a customer who needed a rush job for an organization she volunteered for. We set other jobs aside to get her a proof and called her to come in to approve it. "Oh, thanks so much," she said. "I'll be right there." Ten minutes later we get a call. "Sorry, I won't be able to come in. I asked my son if he wanted to take a ride with me and he said no, so I won't be able to come in until tomorrow morning."

Mistake number 1: Why ask? "Little Johnny, I need to go pick up my proof and I won't leave you home alone so please get in the car."

Mistake number 2: Little Johnny continues to whinge and moan? Pick him up and put him in the car and then make sure there are (non-physical) consequences. Little Johnny does not call the shots.

Nooooo. Instead, she inconvenienced not only us and our customers whose jobs got momentarily set aside, but the organization that was depending on getting their job in time. But Little Johnny went on his entitled merry way. And she looked like a damned fool.

I've always known this is probably why we have so many entitled arseholes - particularly sexist ones - walking around our world, but this is the first time I've had it confirmed so blatantly...

One of our tenants rang up yesterday to report that her back door was stiff and hard to open. This wasn't classed as an emergency, as her front door was fine. I checked the diary, which gave me a date for next week. She asked why we couldn't get anyone out sooner than that. I explained, and she said that her three year-old son's wheelchair wouldn't fit through the front. We had no record on the system of anybody in their house having any mobility issues, so I asked her a bit more about this with the intention of adding this to their file. She then admitted it wasn't actually a wheelchair but a buggy - if her or her daughter tried to get him to walk, he would scream the place down as he didn't like walking, or being told what to do! I did speak to my boss, who was as incredulous as me, but told me to treat it as an emergency anyway, as the buggy not fitting through the door could be classed as a fire hazard, and we could be sued if anything did happen.

But then I thought of Geoffrey Botkins, Josh Duggar, Steve Maxwell and some of the other manchildren we snark about on here. Men like them are control freaks and expect to be worshipped as gods and always expect to get their way. They must have been extremely arrogant to start with of course, but they've been done no favours by always getting what they want, and rarely being contradicted, especially by their female relatives. I dread to think what this Little Lord Fauntleroy is going to be like as an adult because none of the womenfolk in his life ever said "No, you can bloody well walk!"

Thoughts?

I'm going to play Devil's advocate. 1) For a special needs child of that age a stroller/buggy is the equivalent of a wheelchair. 2) I know kids like this. One is autistic, one is deaf and has a genetic condition, one has a different genetic condition and brain damage (this one is actually my kid). All of those kids can walk, but after a certain age getting them out of the house without a stroller in which they feel safe sets off sensory overload and, well have you ever tried to carry a kicking and screaming 3 year old? Especially when in a hurry while you also juggle bags? Yes, it's something we work on with therapy, but it is a slow process and in a hurry we do what's easiest and sets the kid off the least.

Maybe the kid is just a normal kid who is spoiled, but maybe it's more than that.

Well, I agree with OP's epiphany. Yes, there are special needs children and extenuating circumstances. Also, it is the job of a parent to teach their children how to navigate the world. That does include teaching them to have empathy for humans and other beings. When I see someone who is a narcissist I see someone whose parents failed to teach them concern for others and who taught them they are the center of the world.

(just my two cents)

Archived