IGNORED

Spiritually Adopt an Unborn Baby

Rachel333

I had no idea this was a thing until I saw someone on Tumblr today talk about praying for her spiritually adopted baby. spiritualadoption.org/ You're encouraged to "spiritually adopt" a fetus in danger of adoption and pray the following prayer: “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to spare the life of [baby’s name] the unborn baby that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.†Apparently they push this in Catholic schools. These pro-life prayers -- defendlife.org/prayers.htm -- also includes one for the spiritual adoption of an abortion clinic, featuring the line "We pray for those that are scheduled to die at [fill in name of abortion mill]."

A new way for child collectors to get their fix, maybe? I think I'm going to spiritually adopt two pairs of Liberian triplets.

So, do they pray little half-prayers for each egg that's lost during menstruation? Goodness, they've got a lot of praying to do, if that's the case.

You know, I'd love to adopt all the dogs from the kill shelter we have in town, but I'm only able to adequately care for the two:( With this new method, though, I can save thousands!

Run free, little puppies!!

So, do they pray little half-prayers for each egg that's lost during menstruation? Goodness, they've got a lot of praying to do, if that's the case.

Eggs? Eggs are nothing. A mere vessel, as it were.

But those HOMUNCULI, you better hope they're praying for those, and there's a LOT more of 'em...

Ah, so many tissue burials. A moment of silence...

Aside from that, babies are innocent right? If a pregnant woman is killed in a horrible car wreck and the fetus dies too, that "unborn baby" is considered innocent, right? Straight to heaven? If so, those aborted babies from sinful moms surely are also innocent, aren't they? Even if you think the potential mom is a murderer for aborting them the potential baby didn't do anything.

If so, why should anyone worry about them? They just go right back up to be with Jesus again in the perfect paradise world, don't they? They don't even have to suffer on earth.

I mean, in the reincarnation view, they just had a tiny tiny trip to the mortal world with no suffering even and okay, that was quick, you get another turn...

How do they know a fetus is in danger of abortion?

By making judgments on people they hear are pregnant and look pregnant. I'm certain if they knew I was pregnant (I'm not pregnant, just making a scenario) and saw me and my boyfriend walking down the road, they'd think I would be in danger of aborting it as well. Since that would not happen except in extreme cases as I would love to be a mother and have only a 50/50 chance of being fertile, I'd be happy to carry my pregnancy as long as my body allows me to do so, which hopefully will be until a happy, healthy baby human emerges. But young, small, white girl with a young, black man would probably send faulty alarm bells in their minds. And no, I don't want them to "spiritually adopt" a child that is to be mine, thank you very much. Remove the worthless claim to a fetus that neither belongs to you nor was given to you.

How do they know a fetus is in danger of abortion?

I got the impression that this spiritual adoption isn't tied to any physical fetus; they're just praying for any fetus out there that needs their prayers. I think God is the adoption agent matching them to their spiritual adoptee in this scenario.

I wish the fundie baby collectors would consider this more. It might stop them from doing damage to actual, real children. (And pesky things like finances and homestudies wouldn't get in the way of them collecting the whole set.)

Are they actually going to adopt these babies when they are born instead of just praying that pregnant women dont get abortions?

Are they going to help pregnant women who are in poverty by offering to help them buy baby stuff, driving them to doctors appointments, babysitting their other children while theyre giving birth to the baby they spiritually adopted?

No?

Theyre not doing anything then.

This is not a new phenomenon - my very Catholic in-laws have had a little card with that exact prayer on it (minus the "giving the baby a name" part) tacked up over their sink for at least a decade. Every time I'm at their house and see it I just :roll: inwardly and move on. It's not helpful, certainly, but at least it's not actively harmful to real, existing children either.

Forcing children to do this is gross, but I'm a-okay with fundies praying the shit out of themselves for fetuses everywhere. Keep it silent and pray til the cows come home, IMO, those are just pointless words and thoughts so have at it. If they'd keep it to prayers and not try to pass laws and physically block access to clinics, I'd be very happy.

I'm gonna name mine Boris the Abortion. Or Fettuccine the Fetus.

Are they actually going to adopt these babies when they are born instead of just praying that pregnant women dont get abortions?

Are they going to help pregnant women who are in poverty by offering to help them buy baby stuff, driving them to doctors appointments, babysitting their other children while theyre giving birth to the baby they spiritually adopted?

No?

Theyre not doing anything then.

When people tell me they'll pray for me, I thank my lucky stars they're not actually planning on doing something.

I had a stillbirth. My grandmother didn't call or write but she did send me a card that explained a special mass had been arranged to pray for his soul. I just rolled my eyes and wondered how much the church had charged her for that bit of useless mumbo-jumbo.

The Catholic Church: We'll make money off of any tragedy.

This is not a new phenomenon - my very Catholic in-laws have had a little card with that exact prayer on it (minus the "giving the baby a name" part) tacked up over their sink for at least a decade. Every time I'm at their house and see it I just :roll: inwardly and move on. It's not helpful, certainly, but at least it's not actively harmful to real, existing children either.

This sounds familiar, and something makes me think my also-very-Catholic in-laws have given us one of those cards at some point. I have a vague memory of seeing one - maybe with Mary's picture on it?

(I spend a lot of time during our monthly dinner with the in-laws doing :roll: with my eyes closed. Or :| but with internal :wtf: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :disgust: Because while I'm not an extreme-left-wing-liberal, I'm way more liberal than any of them are. I don't fit in at all, and they love love love to talk politics/religion, so I spend a lot of time biting my tongue, being a very non-confrontational person. )

I'm going to be an unborn fetus pageant mom.

:lol: But however will you get your fetus a flipper when you cannot measure the mouth?

Can we give them names? I'm going to call mine Dave.

I think the naming the fetus probably helps it gain popularity. I would have enjoyed naming fetuses when I was in high school.

I had a stillbirth. My grandmother didn't call or write but she did send me a card that explained a special mass had been arranged to pray for his soul. I just rolled my eyes and wondered how much the church had charged her for that bit of useless mumbo-jumbo.

The Catholic Church: We'll make money off of any tragedy.

Grandma Nolan did something similar. I was baptized Lutheran, and Grandma feared for my immortal soul so she sent my parents a card detailing the special mass that was held to pray for me. She did the same thing when Toddler Nolan was baptized Lutheran.

When I was pregnant (out of wedlock!) she paid some order of nuns to pray for me each day.

This sounds familiar, and something makes me think my also-very-Catholic in-laws have given us one of those cards at some point. I have a vague memory of seeing one - maybe with Mary's picture on it?

(I spend a lot of time during our monthly dinner with the in-laws doing :roll: with my eyes closed. Or :| but with internal :wtf: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :disgust: Because while I'm not an extreme-left-wing-liberal, I'm way more liberal than any of them are. I don't fit in at all, and they love love love to talk politics/religion, so I spend a lot of time biting my tongue, being a very non-confrontational person. )

Yup, same one!

I love my in-laws, and they're really quite reasonable, if very devout, people who don't force their religion on me. I just don't go to Mass with them anymore because too many things I experience there make me too angry.

If I ever get pregnant, I'm going to say a special prayer to spiritually emancipate my fetus from its spiritual adoptive parents so it doesn't have to be attached to someone creepy enough to spend hours of their day fretting about other people's uteri.

:lol: But however will you get your fetus a flipper when you cannot measure the mouth?

New market segment! Also casual wear, glitz wear, and don't forget fetal pageant trainers. SO much to do. I wish you the best of luck as a fetal pageant mom-- it's a huge responsibility but it's so worth it when your fetus takes pride in her accomplishments!

Archived