IGNORED

Quiverfull Romney: (Holy CRAP did we dodge a bullet!!!!!!!)

clarinetpower

Wow... I'm not really surprised. He had upwards of 16 grandchildren. I always found that just astonishing. He's not all that old, and neither are his sons, so they'll probably have many, many more. I've heard it explained away as that his children were financially stable very early in life, thanks to their dad, so they didn't have to postpone children for that reason, but it just seemed astounding. He obviously isn't as extreme as the Duggars are though, and is quite a bit more liberal than most Quiverfullers (sad ain't it?). It just seems weird to me that someone would even give that advice to college graduates. I'm graduating in a matter of days (yay!), and if anyone told me at the ceremony to start having kids soon, it would not only make my accomplishment feel really inadequate, but also be absolutely ridiculous. (Full disclosure- I read the article, but didn't watch the video because his patronizing way of speaking kind of drives me crazy).

You just got your bachelor's degree! What are you going to do now? Have a whole bunch of kids!!! Said nobody ever.

ETA: This quote kind of annoyed me:

Now, even in defeat, Romney is trumpeting the ideal of his wife's domesticity as "the most important, most demanding, most difficult, and most rewarding profession she could imagine." Those are words that could have been taken from any book in the Quiverfull library.

While that quote could have been taken out of any Quiverfull book, it is also the ideology of many non-Quiverfull women around the country, both conservative and liberal. To argue that homemaking is only seen as demanding, difficult, important, and rewarding by Christian fundamentalists is kind of demeaning to many housewives who don't follow that branch of Christianity, IMO.

My Mitt Romney impression: :teasing-blah:

He is so out of touch with reality. Where's a head-up-your-ass smiley when you need one?

It's a very, very good thing he lost, the thought of him being president is too frightening for words.

Wow... I'm not really surprised. He had upwards of 16 grandchildren. I always found that just astonishing. He's not all that old, and neither are his sons, so they'll probably have many, many more. I've heard it explained away as that his children were financially stable very early in life, thanks to their dad, so they didn't have to postpone children for that reason, but it just seemed astounding. He obviously isn't as extreme as the Duggars are though, and is quite a bit more liberal than most Quiverfullers (sad ain't it?). It just seems weird to me that someone would even give that advice to college graduates. I'm graduating in a matter of days (yay!), and if anyone told me at the ceremony to start having kids soon, it would not only make my accomplishment feel really inadequate, but also be absolutely ridiculous. (Full disclosure- I read the article, but didn't watch the video because his patronizing way of speaking kind of drives me crazy).

You just got your bachelor's degree! What are you going to do now? Have a whole bunch of kids!!! Said nobody ever.

While that quote could have been taken out of any Quiverfull book, it is also the ideology of many non-Quiverfull women around the country, both conservative and liberal. To argue that homemaking is only seen as demanding, difficult, important, and rewarding by Christian fundamentalists is kind of demeaning to many housewives who don't follow that branch of Christianity, IMO.

A) QFT, and B) Congratulations!! C) QFT again

Go back to your 1% hole, Romney and STFU.

There are not enough cuss words in the English language to express my hatred of this dolt.

Yes, we ALL graduate from college with such wonderful prospects for great paying jobs that we can support big families! Some of us can never, will never, and never want to, have children for a multitude of reasons. Just because he's rich enough and fertile enough, doesn't mean we all are, and some of us don't want to work jobs we hate just so we can have teh baybeez. Not all of us are born into money. Maybe our vocations are more important than having a family. Maybe we'd rather have animals. Or travel. Or whatever.

What an absolute moron.

edited for clarification

And, from the article

In the manifesto, once adopted by the town council of Kanab, Utah, families are described as the fundamental unit of society; individual rights are valued only insofar as they correspond with pro-natalist, pro-family goals; and women's rights are qualified as follows: "Above all, we believe in rights that recognize women's unique gifts of pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding."

Limiting women's rights to their right to be mothers is par for the course in the Quiverfull movement. Its followers see feminism as a slippery slope, starting with family planning—which is viewed as women taking unlawful ownership of a body that rightfully belongs to God—and ending with gay rights, abortion, divorce, and witchcraft (really).

OK, that moves Kanab, Utah of my possible retirement towns. (Not that it ever was on that list.... just sayin.)

Romney gave this speech at a school that is majority Mormon, and what he was giving them is the standard Mormon line. The expectation is that True Blue Mormons will go on a mission, go to college, meet a suitable spouse, get married, graduate and make babies. This is the formula, and everyone is expected to adhere to it. That was my biggest problem with Romney, he seemed to assume that if everyone was a good Mormon, or at least lived the sort of life that the Mormon Church approves of, that everything would be awesome.

This part of the article freaked me the fuck out:

Limiting women's rights to their right to be mothers is par for the course in the Quiverfull movement. Its followers see feminism as a slippery slope, starting with family planning—which is viewed as women taking unlawful ownership of a body that rightfully belongs to God—and ending with gay rights, abortion, divorce, and witchcraft (really).

If my body belongs to an omnipotent god, why do I have to make the conscious decision to be quiverfull? Why can't he just take control and impregnate me with his divine touch? Guess I'm not speshul enough. :crying-yellow:

Yeah, doesn't sound quiverful to me, sounds standard Mormon. He said "have babies now", not "find spouses now", which suggests they have the spouses and are using contraception, and he's saying "now is when to start."

If he said "don't use contraception at all, even if you fall into direst poverty", sure, but otherwise I think it's reaching.

And having READ the article now, seems he did say find a spouse, but I still think it's reaching to suggest he's a part of the movement.

I think that the use of 'quiverful' in that speech wasn't for his actual audience, but as a way to appeal to Fundie Evangelicals. Sort of a "See, Mormons aren't a scary cult! We believe in marrying young and having a ton of babies! We're just like you" kind of thing.

You just got your bachelor's degree! What are you going to do now? Have a whole bunch of kids!!! Said nobody WITH A BRAIN ever.

There. Fixed it for you. :)

Now, even in defeat, Romney is trumpeting the ideal of his wife's domesticity as "the most important, most demanding, most difficult, and most rewarding profession she could imagine." Those are words that could have been taken from any book in the Quiverfull library.

THIS. And thank you. I do many things, and work part time, but my priority is taking care of my family. This was my choice to make and my husband was in NO way trying to force me to (he wanted me at work full time and I had to rebel and say no). It is hard. I think it's worth it, for me. It's what I want. And I am Christian but that has zero to do with it.

And here's a chihuahua. :chi-yes:

This basically shows that we dodged a bullet, and that he's still as out of touch with mainstream society as he ever was. While mainstream Mormonism does strongly encourage and pressure people to marry young and have a ton of babies, they haven't completely forbidden contraception either, leaving it up to the couple and God.

I find it amusing how completely he's disappeared as any sort of influence after the election. Even the Republicans seem to want nothing to do with him...not that they appeared particularly fond of him during the election. As much as a lot of people hated Obama, I could find very few who actually liked Mittens. Lame duck all around.

I find it amusing how completely he's disappeared as any sort of influence after the election. Even the Republicans seem to want nothing to do with him...not that they appeared particularly fond of him during the election. As much as a lot of people hated Obama, I could find very few who actually liked Mittens. Lame duck all around.

Stephen Colbert had a running gag, for a while, of completely forgetting his name.

:D

This just in: Billionaire Oblivious to 99% of Reality

Now, even in defeat, Romney is trumpeting the ideal of his wife's domesticity as "the most important, most demanding, most difficult, and most rewarding profession she could imagine."

Gosh, if it's so incredible, maybe he should try it. I hear he's looking for work.

Quiverfullness aside, I'm so glide this trifling man and his entitled wife are not in the White House. Never once during the campaign did I sense any level of kindness, empathy, thoughtfulness or compassion in these two. They'd make a horrible first couple.

Mrs. Romney just seemed so...fake. Compare her to Michelle Obama or Laura Bush and it was like they were from different planets. "Oh, yes, I will talk down to the commoners so they will support my husband. Let them eat cake herp derp"

Archived