IGNORED

Praying your child to death/Violates Probation (Merged)

salex

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 82041.html not broken news link

Despite probation for previous death from their prayer instead of medicine methods, and a condition of probation being taking sick kids to doctors, they killed another child via prayerful neglect. I hope they are both sent to prison for a long time.

These parents have lost 2 kids in the last 4 years to ailments that should not be killing kids in an area with a drugstore on every corner. The toddler who died 3 or 4 years ago had pneumonia, the 8 month old who died recently had diarrhea. It makes me want to tear my hair out (actually, tear THEIR hair out)

http://articles.philly.com/2010-12-09/n ... tervention First dead child story here... news so didn't break link.

Back then

The autopsy said 2-year-old Kent Schaible died after a two-week battle with bacterial pneumonia.

But to his parents, the cause of the boy's fatal illness transcended any microbe.

"We tried to fight the devil, but in the end the devil won," Herbert Schaible, 42, told a city social worker just days after his son's death on Jan. 24, 2009.

Per my reading, they have at least 7 other children. :pull-hair:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never say this, but goddamnit. Just god. damn. it. Makes me want to fucking scream. I have two precious children, and was exposed to bullshit just like this growing up. Made me sick - sometimes literally- then, and it makes me sick now. How could you not do everything in your power to ensure the health of the miraculous gifts that children are? Why can they not reason that we were gifted with the intelligence to treat and cure illness, and to not utilize the products of that intelligence because you are such a super strong special spirit-lead-Christian who is on a first name basis with the creator who just may be using modern medicine to enable you to save your child's life is the height of hubris? Goddamnit.

Fuck.

If my child was sick, I would do anything to help her. Anything. Mothers around the world work their hardest and sacrifice so much so their children have access to medical care. There are mothers who watch their babies die and grieve every day because they don't have access to care.

To have someone just throw away their child's life when help is right in front of them is abhorrent.

These poor children died horrible deaths. They need prison time because they killed these children.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Faith-Healing-Parents-Schaibles-Child-Death-203782041.html not broken news link

http://articles.philly.com/2010-12-09/n ... tervention First dead child story here... news so didn't break link.

Back then

The autopsy said 2-year-old Kent Schaible died after a two-week battle with bacterial pneumonia.

But to his parents, the cause of the boy's fatal illness transcended any microbe.

"We tried to fight the devil, but in the end the devil won," Herbert Schaible, 42, told a city social worker just days after his son's death on Jan. 24, 2009.

Per my reading, they have at least 7 other children. :pull-hair:

It's kind of hard to fight the devil when you're it. I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't do anything in their power to help a sick child, especially their own, has to be evil. If the devil made your child sick, wouldn't it stand to reason that god would be the one offering cures? So, what exactly is wrong with medication? These people make me sick. And sad.

Why would someone do that, especially if your other child died so recently. How could they just let another child die the same way? Yeah, they can pray, but pray while taking their child to see the doctor and giving them medicine. If God created everything and everyone, he also gave people big enough brains to invent medical treatment, and gave doctors the skills to save lives.

During their trial, the Schaibles' lawyers said the parents were targeted because their fundamentalist Christian beliefs espouse faith healing.

No, they're being targeted because children are dying in their care.

Defense attorneys argued that their clients did not know how sick the child was, and their beliefs played no role in their decision.

That's why, when your kid has been ill for a couple of days, you take them to the dr. You don't know how sick your kid is, the Dr does.

Glad I don't have to be defence lawyer for these two heroes.

So two babies are dead, two parents will end up in prison. Seven kids are now in foster care. And yet they will probably stand by their decisions that lead to all this.

You want to know what else is maddening about this? From the news story regarding their first child's death:

Hoof told the jury in his opening statement Tuesday that Wecht would testify that the bacterium that killed Kent - Hemophilus influenza Type B - is drug-resistant and that medical intervention would not have saved the child.

Sure, except that Hib is a vaccine preventable disease. There is not a :angry-screaming: big enough for how that makes me feel.

Yeah, tell me again how life is so precious. These animals weren't praying FOR their children, they were preying ON them. Burn in hell.

This never would have happened if they hadn't been allowed to keep their other children. How on Earth could a judge think that these people would start taking their children to a doctor? They were perfectly willing to allow one child to die, suddenly they're going to care what a judge says? :angry-banghead:

This never would have happened if they hadn't been allowed to keep their other children. How on Earth could a judge think that these people would start taking their children to a doctor? They were perfectly willing to allow one child to die, suddenly they're going to care what a judge says? :angry-banghead:

This.

Obviously, these people are sorry excuses for parents and human beings.

That said, what the fuck was wrong with the criminal justice and child protection systems? Yes, crazy or evil parents exist. That's why we have laws to protect children. After a prior conviction, these people were known to the system, and the system was aware that there were other children. Why did they get probation instead of jail time with the first death? Why were the other children not removed from their care? Why did the system fail to enforce the probation terms? Why were there no regular visits from child protective services to monitor the family? How many failures are there in the system?

Asswipes. I hope they make lots of nice friends in prison.

I'd like to see fundamentalist Christian cretins like this labeled "terrorists". Their "faith" actively led to the deaths of 2 American citizens. Standing around and watching a kid die of something completely curable is, IMO, not much different from killing them straight off.

My God, they basically got a free pass for killing one child and 3 years later they let a baby die? They never should have had unsupervised custody of a goldfish after their first failure but were given 6(?) helpless children to raise!

I spent $80 at the vet to get care for a sick hamster earlier today and these people let a baby die because they would rather pray then hit up a drugstore or doctor's office? I hope they rot in prison and they should have the first time they killed a child with prayer.

Why would someone do that, especially if your other child died so recently. How could they just let another child die the same way? Yeah, they can pray, but pray while taking their child to see the doctor and giving them medicine. If God created everything and everyone, he also gave people big enough brains to invent medical treatment, and gave doctors the skills to save lives.

This. If God created everything, he also created modern medical treatment and gave people a big bran for a reason, to actually use it. I agree that we should call these "Christians" to be terrorists as they're using religion as an excuse to allow American citizens to die. They make me sick. :angry-screaming:

You want to know what else is maddening about this? From the news story regarding their first child's death:

Sure, except that Hib is a vaccine preventable disease. There is not a :angry-screaming: big enough for how that makes me feel.

It's vaccine preventable and although it does have some anti-microbial resistance it is still highly treatable! I hope the jury didn't believe any of that crap!!

Even my quiverful, skirts-only, extremely fundie facebook friend wrote this in response to this case:

"I agree that these parents should be punished for child abuse, as their refusal to provide medical care and to only pray instead was sinful presumption, contrary to God's command that we seek to help those in need and take care of those under our care. Their false religious views have led to the death of these children."

I still remember when my child, less than a year old, got pneumonia. It started off as a typical cold, sniffles, runny nose, then congestion. I took him in to Kaiser, but cheap ass Kaiser took an x-ray of his throat (???) and said he just had a common cold. That night, he was coughing and coughing. I lay there on the floor next to his crib and fretted, and suddenly realized "this is not okay." So I took him to the E.R. (a non Kaiser facility) and they diagnosed the pneumonia, gave him antibiotics, and we were home a couple hours later. He was able to sleep that night and was well onto recovery by the morning.

But I still remember laying there listening to him hack and hack, and wishing I could make it better. I suffered because I knew he was suffering. And then I realized "this is serious" and took care of the matter.

I cannot imagine just letting your child suffer on and on, until they finally die. Those parent do not love their children, and whatever beliefs they have, they clearly fall to the dark side. They had better both get some serious prison time for homicide. And I hope the judge that basically sentenced that second child to death does some serious soul searching.

No, they're being targeted because children are dying in their care.

That's why, when your kid has been ill for a couple of days, you take them to the dr. You don't know how sick your kid is, the Dr does.

Glad I don't have to be defence lawyer for these two heroes.

What is really awful is that they are trying to have it both ways. Either they were praying for the child and hoping for divine intervention because the child was really ill OR they thought the kid had just a cold and weren't worried about it.

It can't be BOTH !

And if you did have a child who you legitimately thought was only mildly ill, and then they died, and you had to go through the trauma of the death and court and the publicity and all of that - wouldn't you be incredibly freaked out and rush your other kids to the doctor every time they as much as sneezed ???

One of my kids had walking pneumonia as a toddler, we had no idea until a routine well baby check. What would have happened if we didn't take her to check ups ?

Archived