IGNORED

traditionnalist catholic family

Marianne

I'm reading this blog and it makes me surprised and revolted...

showerofroses.............blogspot........fr/

showerofroses.blogspot.fr/

they are traditionalist catholics, but VERY traditionalists ... and very ... uh ... Weird ?

showerofroses.blogspot.fr/2012/02/world-war-ii-military-birthday-party.html

A BIRTHDAY PARTY ABOUT... WORLD WAR TWO ? GO HELL ! (my first thought when I read that)

But this is not a theme for a laugh or play ! War are millions of deaths, in the camps, on the battlefield ... This war was the shame for the country who collaborate... This war was a death of a culture... This woman has ever read the Bible ?

Of course, girls have tea party... showerofroses.blogspot.fr/2011/08/partea-time-tea-themed-birthday.html

In another post, she said she hated homeschool... But she does the homeschool for their children... Logic...

Actually, what makes me most afraid with this family is that they are not a sad family withou likfe, without smiling, without games... People will say "well, ok, the don't send their children to school, the believ in god, they are against abortion, women's and LGBT-I right, they joke about horrific themes, they oppress thei women, but they are happy and they play ! I love thei life !" I don't like this kind of family that hide their true "character"

(I broke the links to their site because I believe that this is what was written in the rules but I'm not sure. If that's not it, please tell me =) )

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yay! Crosses, prayer candles, and saint medals as party favors!

Says, like no (normal) little girl ever.

The poor girls that picked last after bingo when the normal treats were gone.

Good grief, everything is so pink. And a maypole? Does it get much more pagan than that?

It has always been the strength of Christianity to Christianize the pagan traditions. Look at Christmas ! In my rural country, we light big fire for the St Jean (John), and priest comes to bless them...

And when the priest leauve, a man told to us that this is the summer solstice, it shows lights sunlight, and the arival of the good spirits of the earth, and the departure of evil spirits. Very Christian !

If she had any idea what the maypole is thought to originally represent in some traditions, she would poop.

(It's a penis.)

I'm reading this blog and it makes me surprised and revolted...

A BIRTHDAY PARTY ABOUT... WORLD WAR TWO ? GO HELL ! (my first thought when I read that)

But this is not a theme for a laugh or play ! War are millions of deaths, in the camps, on the battlefield ... This war was the shame for the country who collaborate... This war was a death of a culture... This woman has ever read the Bible ?

That was barely about WWII, and more about (romanticized) war in general. I don't think it's THAT bizarre - that just happens to be what her child is into right now and the other kids played as well. While I don't think that they need to be watching "Band of Brothers" or anything, at least her kids are interested in History. Hopefully at some point in the future they will want to know more and read some non-fundie approved books about the subject, which could lead to more and more reading about history in general.

She seems like she COULD be really good at the themed parties, but she has too many kids. She mentioned on the Lego Party post that she was probably going to not do as much in the future, which makes me sad.

Yeah, she seems to go all out for anything remotely resembling a holiday. She has multiple posts each about Easter, St. Patrick's Day. the feast of St. Joseph, and the new pope--and I've only browsed as far back as February of this year. It must be exhausting to maintain that level of preparation and activity.

Her girls wear veils to Mass. Is that a sign that they are Traditional Catholics?

Her girls wear veils to Mass. Is that a sign that they are Traditional Catholics?

Yes. Since Vatican 2 Catholic women no longer have the obligation to wear a veil to mass. For traditionalists, yes, because they apply the laws before Vatican 2.

In French traditionalist Catholic, it does not get much either, but in America it's a lot.

Here is her other blog, focusing on Catholic food.

catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/

:shock: I'm clearly doing it all wrong. I've been a Catholic for fourteen years, but I've never made Passion Pita Pizzas ("First we took a pita and discussed how the stripes remind us of Our Lord's scourged body and that by His stripes we are healed."), or St Crispin Apple Crisp (I've only made regular apple crisp, but never on St Crispin's Day--I'm so remiss! :doh: ).

Some of this stuff looks fabulous, though, I may have to try out a recipe or two. But I don't think I'll be pointing out to my family that I brushed those pitas with olive oil because Jesus was betrayed and arrested in the Garden of Olives. :?

Here is her other blog, focusing on Catholic food.

catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/

We have our own FOOD? *runs to check out that blog*

*runs back* What the.... let's make a popcorn ball in the shape of a grotto? Divine Mercy cookies?

The most "Catholic" I think my food ever got were the sugar cookies they'd give us for St. Nicholas Day, with the color print-out of St. Nick GLUED with who knows what onto the cookie. It wasn't edible paper like they have now, so you'd have to pull it the cookie to try to eat the cookie (and it never came off cleanly, so you'd still have shreds of paper attached).

And how can a Catholic food blog have no mention of pierogies? That is equivilent to being a Catholic in my neck of the woods, the little old ladies (and sometimes men) in the kitchen in the church hall's basement rolling out orders for Lent...

Speaking of the family in general, here's something that's always perplexed me, this desire for Catholics to homeschool. Maybe it's because I'm from an area where there's like, a Catholic church on almost every corner, and every church used to have its own elementary school attached to it, so a good Catholic didn't homeschool. You sent your kid to the parish church to support the parish. (Except for me - the school that had been attached to our church had been a high school that closed in the 70's, so I'm a proud product of public school :dance: )

I actually own this book--"My Nameday, Come for Dessert."

http://www.amazon.com/My-Nameday-Desser ... B0007ELR9W

Because celebrating the saint's day that goes with your name is so very much more holy than just celebrating your birthday like everyone else. It has a recipe for the Feast of the Holy Innocents--if I recall--that is a blancmange with raspberry sauce. The Holy Innocents were all the little babies of Bethlehem that Herod supposedly murdered in his effort to get rid of the child who was prophesied to be King of the Jews and thus replace him. An angel warned Joseph to flee with Mary and Jesus. Said angel did not bother to warn the other kids in the village, so they were slaughtered. Ah well. Collateral damage!

So, anyway, we celebrate this horrid event. The white pudding with red sauce is supposed to represent slaughtered baby flesh with blood. Wow. Even at my most pious I could not stomach the thought of feeding this to my kids in the guise of a PARTY. I just don't even . . . .

Orthodox here. Celebrating your name day is still a big deal in our neck of the Christian tent, but then a lot of us had grandparents who really did not KNOW the exact date of their birth. They would pick something once they needed official papers, but back in the day when rural records were none existent, a Name Day was as close as you got to being able to have a special day like a birthday. ;)

That makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way, aretejo.

Btw, I'm disappointed there wasn't a WWII tea party. Little girls in camo, with their Sergeant Barbies, also in camo, gathered round the festive table eating c-rations. The birthday girl could be Eisenhower for a day and wear 5 stars on her cap. It would make a change from all the pink.

I love that she advertises "St. Patrick" by Tomi dePaola on her blog. She must have missed the memo that he's gay.

These folks gross me out. I wonder how long they'll stay in the actual Roman Catholic Church? They seem much more in tune with the smaller "Traditionalist" denominations that spun off since Vatican II.

Oh, ugh, she calls her brother-in-law who is a priest "Father" instead of "Bob" or even "Father Bob".

We have our own FOOD? *runs to check out that blog*

*runs back* What the.... let's make a popcorn ball in the shape of a grotto? Divine Mercy cookies?

The most "Catholic" I think my food ever got were the sugar cookies they'd give us for St. Nicholas Day, with the color print-out of St. Nick GLUED with who knows what onto the cookie. It wasn't edible paper like they have now, so you'd have to pull it the cookie to try to eat the cookie (and it never came off cleanly, so you'd still have shreds of paper attached).

And how can a Catholic food blog have no mention of pierogies? That is equivilent to being a Catholic in my neck of the woods, the little old ladies (and sometimes men) in the kitchen in the church hall's basement rolling out orders for Lent...

Speaking of the family in general, here's something that's always perplexed me, this desire for Catholics to homeschool. Maybe it's because I'm from an area where there's like, a Catholic church on almost every corner, and every church used to have its own elementary school attached to it, so a good Catholic didn't homeschool. You sent your kid to the parish church to support the parish. (Except for me - the school that had been attached to our church had been a high school that closed in the 70's, so I'm a proud product of public school :dance: )

An increasing number of very trad Catholics are homeschooling because the local parish school is too progressive. The trad Caths want Latin mass, emphasize devotions, have strict gender roles and expectations, tend to be creationists, and are extremely suspicious of "Vatican II" Catholics and their ilk. SOTDRT fills the same need for them as it does the Duggars...isolation from tainted people and diverse viewpoints. They LOVED Benedict, are suspicious of Francis.

Edited to ad...the sedevacantists and schismatics who don't accept the validity of VII don't love either one, lol.

I would see her food blog as good ideas for sunday school maybe?

Another Catholic childhood... My mom loves nativities and we have a nativity cookie cutter set. So that's as religious as our food ever got. My brother's best friend is Hindu and when they were growing up he loved the Baby Jesus cookie cutter.

Serious LOLs at her Cocoa Pebble Grotto for the Lady of Lourdes! :lol: catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/2013/02/cocoa-pebbles-grotto-for-our-lady-of.html

Hoo boy, product of a fundie Catholic family here. My Mom would have been scandalized by the food blog finding it blasphemous. The things she found blasphemous were too numerous to count. She even gave Hot Cross Buns the side-eye. @@ Being Catholic was SERIOUS STUFF NOT TO BE LOLED AT in my family. :-/

EDIT: Ooh, so my Confirmation Saint is St. Joan of Arc and my namesake Saint is St. Anne. Quiche Lorraine with the B52's song playing in the background and a shitload of sweets to represent St. Anne for all! I guess Mom picked my namesake well, looks like St. Anne had a bitchin' sweet tooth!

I can't figure out how I feel about the WWII birthday party. Part of me thinks it's messed up but that is what her son picked, the kids all seemed to have fun and I love that her son was really singled out for the day. Totally beats many Duggar birthdays. I let my three year old pick his birthday theme this past year and he picked Harold and the Purple Crayon, which was unexpected but it was what he wanted for his birthday so we did it.

Man oh man. I live in a country where EVERYONE is catholic and you don't have to give scapulars and rosary beads as gifts to define yourself as catholic cos everyone just assumes you are one. But I have never ever ever seen anyone in a veil, mantilla, or head covering of any sort at mass. Of any age.

Could be yes, could be no. We wear veils to Mass and we're not traditionalists.

Archived