IGNORED

traditionnalist catholic family

Marianne

I'm a proud Catholic but damn this lady is on overkill mode it wouldn't surprise me if her children dipped out as soon as they turn 18 I know I would. Everything has to be Catholic or church related no secular books or toys to play with just because with fundies everything must always have a "purpose" aka brainwashing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How tolerant. How loving. How totally ignorant.

If you came up to me or my daughters and tried shaking us and lecturing us on how to worship your way, I'd take you down, honey. And my veil wouldn't even go askew.

You have your opinion and I will have mine. I don't want to be taken back to the days before Vatican II when women weren't permitted any part in the liturgy other than ironing the alter cloths, Cassocks & Surplices. This is happening in parishes in our diocese.

Thanks for calling me ignorant. You're super loving and Christ-like.

You have your opinion and I will have mine. I don't want to be taken back to the days before Vatican II when women weren't permitted any part in the liturgy other than ironing the alter cloths, Cassocks & Surplices. This is happening in parishes in our diocese.

You're aware that women are perfectly free to wear a headcovering according to Vatican II, right? It's no longer mandatory, that's all. While I don't want the RCC to go to pre-Vatican II times, why does a woman choosing to wear a headcovering make you so angry? It's none of your business what she chooses to wear on her head. It is super ignorant to assume that all women who wear a headcovering to mass want a return to pre-Vatican II days. Conservatism is about more than the clothes being worn.

I wonder how she feels about girls going to college since there's a lot of encouragement for education or joining a convent and stay at home Catholic daughters are unheard of.

If you see that problem in your diocese, then you should address the real issue rather than try to restrict what women can or can't wear to mass. It's probably also not good to assume that everyone who dresses a certain way, believes a certain way.

I have a friend who wears a veil to church and she's not particularly conservative, certainly not pre-Vatican ll traditionalist. She likes wearing them, so why shouldn't she?

I think the veiling for some women is a symbol of how lousy the church was for women pre Vatican II. It's fine for younger women now to do it as some sort of fashion choice and get all huffy about it, but for some Catholic women it has a strong negative connotation. My grandmother hated the veil. To her it symbolized all the bullshit that went along with being a Catholic woman....getting lectures from the priest about having more children (my dad was an only among many miscarriages), being told what school to send my father to, being expected to do without so my grandfather could tithe, a hundred small indignities from her church that she was expected to tolerate as a woman. She never wore a headcoving after Vatican II.

Um, veiling is not a fashion for me. It's a spiritual thing. Even if it was a fashion, it's still my choice to wear it. Veils are no longer mandatory, they haven't been banned, so it's nobody else's business if a woman chooses to wear one.

Um, veiling is not a fashion for me. It's a spiritual thing. Even if it was a fashion, it's still my choice to wear it. Veils are no longer mandatory, they haven't been banned, so it's nobody else's business if a woman chooses to wear one.

I'm not saying it isn't a choice, I was simply giving another perspective. I don't think anyone here is saying you cant veil, but simply discussing the reasons why some women may have a negative reaction to it. And yes, it is a fashon thing, as all "spiritual" items of clothing are. Veiling, hemlengths, hairstyles, all the so outward visual markers of faith go in and out of style depending on the time and culture. What you view as spiritual was oppressive and degrading for my grandmother. Why is her Catholic experience less valid than yours?

I'm not saying it isn't a choice, I was simply giving another perspective. I don't think anyone here is saying you cant veil, but simply discussing the reasons why some women may have a negative reaction to it. And yes, it is a fashon thing, as all "spiritual" items of clothing are. Veiling, hemlengths, hairstyles, all the so outward visual markers of faith go in and out of style depending on the time and culture. What you view as spiritual was oppressive and degrading for my grandmother. Why is her Catholic experience less valid than yours?

It's not a fashion when nobody else I know veils for church. Seriously, no one - even when I visit the RC cathedral in London there are two other women veiling at most. I'm doing it for myself. I understand the negative reaction to it but assuming that all women who veil for church are conservative is just not true. Neither do we all want to make others veil for church. It's OK for your grandmother to find it oppressive and degrading, it's not OK to assume that it's oppressive and degrading for all women. I'm not Roman Catholic but Anglo-Catholic.

Re incense and celebrating mass facing East, I've seen this in many very liberal (pro-women, pro-LGBT people) churches - they're not indicators of conservatism by themselves. My own church uses incense every week and my priest is gay. Over the Easter break I was in a church that uses incense weekly and celebrates mass facing East, and has a gay female priest.

Archived