IGNORED

Why do fundies blame women for everything wrong?

snuggles911

I've noticed a trend on fundie blogs toward blaming women, especially feminists, for everything wrong with the world. It's especially prevalent on "manosphere" fundie blogs.

The blog Dalrock has a post about this today that's gotten over a hundred comments. Dalrock says women are to blame for the country's economic ills b/c they aren't getting married young anymore and they're entering the workforce. He reasons that as long as women aren't dependent on men, the economy will continue to worsen. The only way to fix the problem is for more traditionally minded women to get married and have more babies.

Here's some comments:

Dalrock: The long term danger here is obvious. The more women delay, avoid, and abuse marriage the less men will be willing to generate the surplus economic output our economy depends on. Instead of being the economic powerhouse of the west, men disenfranchised from fatherhood will more and more decide to enjoy the decline. This reduction in economic output will coincide with the massive increases in social costs caused by fatherless children and comes at a time when governments are already running out of options.

Sunshinemary: Everyone else is in die-out mode. Sweden is in demographic collapse, as others have noted, as is most of Europe. So…in a few generations, there will be no more of this nonsense. No more feminist careerists, sluts, PUAs, and so on. They will contracept themselves intro extinction. When they are gone, no-fault divorce, sluttery, and baby-mama-hood will go the way of the dodo bird. We cannot change the laws now, but we need only be patient and make babies while we wait, and train our children to do the same.

Drew: Anyway, I tried to explain to my brother in Christ that we (as a country) need to end child support in order to re-establish family. It nearly blew his mind. “You really think women have kids outside of marriage because of child support?â€

“Yes, women are the gatekeepers of sex, and gov’t is the new husband promising to take care of them.â€

I am thinking of sending him this article, but I doubt it would get through.

So, my question is: Why do fundies blame women for the world's ills, and how have they gotten fundie women to agree with their theories?

Because instead of fixing themselves, they want others to fix themselves according to their worldview so that they don't have to improve themselves.

None of these jerks are in wild social or professional demand. They need us to be lower than them because it is vital to their mental health to think that someone, somewhere, is lower on the foodchain than they are.

Because they are frightened of women and have to keep us down so we dont rise up and take over the world with our vaginas.

"Gatekeepers of sex?"

Good to know from the sex that ignores those gates, and is responsible for 97% of all sexual assault.

Because it's easy. Most men are physically stronger than most women and this makes it easier to overpower them. This makes it easier to conflate this power with their religiosity (and financial power helps).

I'm feeling kind of pissed off today: a male cousin of mine has been posting Ayn Rand quotes and seems to find no conflict between them and his own Baptist Christianity.

Because it's easy. Most men are physically stronger than most women and this makes it easier to overpower them. This makes it easier to conflate this power with their religiosity (and financial power helps).

I'm feeling kind of pissed off today: a male cousin of mine has been posting Ayn Rand quotes and seems to find no conflict between them and his own Baptist Christianity.

Exactly what I was thinking. Because they can. Because women have been forced into a position of lower status for so long they take it. Because immediately upon hearing the words, "it's a girl", we inflict the lower status on her before she is even aware what her name is. Because men tend to be slightly taller on the average and weight more on the average that they feel they can overpower by sheer strength. Because women grow up being treated as objects in the outside worlds even if they are not at home and some are treated that way no matter where they are so they are forced to admit defeat often. Because many religions reinforce the lower status of a woman and they get sucked in to believing they are less through manipulation. Because keeping women in a lower position gives men control of life they would not have otherwise since women are the ones who are able to bring new life into the world. Because of all the above and more, women continue to be forced into a lower position in society and as a result, they take the blame when things change. Also because things going sour causes people to want to blame someone and find an easy fix so blacks, immigrants, women as groups become the easiest targets because they created a change. Lose them and all will be well, but anyone with a lick of common sense knows the problems are far deeper than that and removing any group of people from the workforce is just going to create more economic hardship.

No one's answered the second part of my question. Why do women go along with this? If you visit the Darlock blog I posted about, there are plenty of women agreeing with him. In fact, many of his posts disparage women and women commentators back him up more than they dispute him.

I also think it started with the story of Eve eating the fruit first, as it's easy to blame all women for her not getting the memo. I think that religious indoctrination and manipulation is so strong, women buy into the idea that their only worth in life is to be a wife and mother, especially if they're raised in a fundie lifestyle. If they're kept sheltered from the outside world, they don't see that there are more options in life, such as being able to have a career outside of motherhood. If they only go to the SOTDRT, they're not given the type of education that will allow them to succeed without a headship to preside over them if their father allows them a courtship and marriage.

No one's answered the second part of my question. Why do women go along with this? If you visit the Darlock blog I posted about, there are plenty of women agreeing with him. In fact, many of his posts disparage women and women commentators back him up more than they dispute him.

I think it's because so many women feel they derive status for latching onto the "power" sex. Way back when I was a kid in middle school, I could see that "having a boyfriend" was a major status symbol for most girls. Easier to be a hanger-on than to forge your own way and face resentment.

Very interesting theories, all. Slightly OT, wasn't Sunshinemary (one of the commenters the OP quoted) the UN of a somewhat troll-y commenter here? It seems familiar, but I can't really search the forum UNs from my phone at the moment.

Well, I'm actually convinced a chunk of the posters claiming to be women aren't. Most of the others have pretty clearly been emotionally (and I'm guessing in some cases physically) abused by the men in their lives. Sunshine Mary is a perfect example. Her husband had a series of affairs that quite clearly broke her psychologically. She survived by convincing herself it stemmed from her failure to be the perfect wife and that she could achieve perfection by following the submission formula. She gets to engage in magical thinking, trash the whites who her husband cheated with, and get patted on the head by her husband and a bunch of other fanboys for being the right kind of woman. Also, men have no monopoly on being assailed.

Drew: Anyway, I tried to explain to my brother in Christ that we (as a country) need to end child support in order to re-establish family. It nearly blew his mind. “You really think women have kids outside of marriage because of child support?â€

“Yes, women are the gatekeepers of sex, and gov’t is the new husband promising to take care of them.â€

I am thinking of sending him this article, but I doubt it would get through.

My super submissive SiL had many children within marriage, then my BiL left her. She gets no child support from him as far as I know. Not sure how ending child support would help re-establish this particular family. It would just push them further into poverty or force SiL to get a job.

how have they gotten fundie women to agree with their theories?

From what I remember from my upbringing and the preachings from the pulpit, there's a lot of manipulation of Bible verses to get women to buy into that mentality. You beat into women that they are under all male figures: Pastor, deacon, father, husband 'for their own good' 'because God commanded it so' and because when Eve moved away from Adam's dominion, she fucked over humanity. It all stems from the played-out guilt factor of Eve eating the fruit thus the whole reason why we're here and not in paradise. It's years and years of indoctrination. Basically: because of a woman, the human race has had to pay and live in sin. Ergo, women are and continue to be at the root of all that is wrong in this world.

Why do fundies blame women for societal ills? Simple. Fundies and their secular misogynist counterparts do not like to see women achieving financial independence, but for slightly different reasons.

Fundies see it as a violation of God's will and a threat to their traditional way of life. If women are allowed success in the financial world, what's to stop them from becoming SAHM and submissive wives? Since most secular people see working women as a good thing, the only way to argue this is a *bad* thing is to argue that women are bad workers, that doing so will destroy families and economies. After all, even fundies understand have difficulty teaching girls math and science is bad or that the extra income is bad. They must base their argument on something concrete.

Misogynists like to blame women because most of them think they've lost out in some way in our modern society. . They can't see anything wrong with themselves so someone else must be to blame for their situation. They look back to the "good old days" when women were barred from certain jobs. It must be due to those stupid women who are "taking" good jobs from more deserving men! Therefore, it's easy for them to assume that women stealing jobs from deserving men has all kinds of detrimental effects. It's those damn women who took their jobs that's also destroying the economy and the family.

I think it's because so many women feel they derive status for latching onto the "power" sex. Way back when I was a kid in middle school, I could see that "having a boyfriend" was a major status symbol for most girls. Easier to be a hanger-on than to forge your own way and face resentment.

they get speshul snowflake staus for being that one good wimmin but then if they get out of line the mrassholes tell them to go back to the kitchen and make them a sandwich.

Because instead of fixing themselves, they want others to fix themselves according to their worldview so that they don't have to improve themselves.

This! It's easier to blame somebody else for your problems rather than taking a good hard look at your own life, identifying your problems and issues, and correcting them.

Very interesting theories, all. Slightly OT, wasn't Sunshinemary (one of the commenters the OP quoted) the UN of a somewhat troll-y commenter here? It seems familiar, but I can't really search the forum UNs from my phone at the moment.

Sunshinemary came on here and tried to explain why women didn't need to vote, and flounced pretty quickly when we challenged her! The topic is called "Oh, the horrors of female suffrage!"

Because Eve ate the fruit. . . and yes, unfortunately, that is why they blame women for everything.

Yup. Christianity's been blaming women for all of society's ills since at least the Middle Ages (probably earlier, but I don't know much about Antiquity).

Two words: Internalised Misogyny. You see it all the time in seculiar society, too: women calling each other "sluts" or "prudes" for how they're dressed or how they behave; women saying they don't like being friends with other women because "other women are so catty"; women calling each other names for their reproductive choices; slut-shaming; body-shaming; women criticising each other for choosing to work/not work (fundies often claim feminists think all women should work, and while some do believe that everyone should achieve financial independence I've yet to meet one who would deny that it's not up to them to make the choice for another women). The list goes on. From childhood women are turned against each other, taught to judge one another for failure to conform to societal norms and to tear into each other for making personal decisions. It's exactly the same in fundie culture, it's just what exactly comprises a "good" woman that differs.

From what I remember from my upbringing and the preachings from the pulpit, there's a lot of manipulation of Bible verses to get women to buy into that mentality. You beat into women that they are under all male figures: Pastor, deacon, father, husband 'for their own good' 'because God commanded it so' and because when Eve moved away from Adam's dominion, she fucked over humanity. It all stems from the played-out guilt factor of Eve eating the fruit thus the whole reason why we're here and not in paradise. It's years and years of indoctrination. Basically: because of a woman, the human race has had to pay and live in sin. Ergo, women are and continue to be at the root of all that is wrong in this world.

Because I am not a biblical literalist:

Sometimes I wonder if the people who wrote the biblical account of creation (who, after all, were not eyewitnesses) observed that women had a lot of pain in childbirth and frequently died as a result of difficult pregnancies, and thought, "Why would a just creator allow women to have lives that are much more painful and dangerous than men's lives? This makes no sense! Unless women are being punished collectively for something. What's the worst thing a woman could have done?"

Archived