IGNORED

It would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad...

Koala

So we all know Abigail. Yes, Abigail-

Daughter of "mommy mary"

Defender of "baby Jesus"

Girlfriend of ummm, older Jesus :?

BFF to the saints

and today.....

Today the Pope is her dad...or papa. Take your pick.

I'm sad, and happy, and hopeful all at the same time. I just really trust him. He's my Papa. The first Pope I got to see with my own two eyes. Only my second Pope I've served under willingly as a converted Roman Catholic. He's my Dad.

Papa Benedict's act of trust and humility

It's borderlining on sad....

http://abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/02/are-people-really-afraid.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to be snarky, but there is something seriously wrong with her. I wish she would get some help so she could be the kind of mother her kids need. She annoys the hell out of me, but I really think she's sick and I feel bad for her and her family.

Okay, I didn't realize she's a convert, which sort of explains some of the histrionics.

And also, maybe, why she doesn't realize that Catholics don't "serve under" the pope. From a serious, serious Catholic background and have to say that I've never heard anyone--including great aunt who was mother superior of an order of nuns--ever talk about "serving under" the pope.

Also she perhaps mistakes the Italian "il papa" when referring to the pope as "my papa." It's means the pope and no one confuses it with their actual papa. If she thinks of the pope as her "dad," she's way out of touch with even the most conservative

Just before I left the church I had been going to for 20 years, people (and the pastors) started referring to God as Papa, during prayers etc.... completely weirded me out...... Reason #112 I'm glad I left!

I was raised catholic and as odd as it sounds the pope didn't really feature. You certainly weren't taught he was your 'father', if anything the 'father' relationship was the local parish priest but you wouldn't view him as a father type. It was very common to refer to the pope as 'Il Papa', often in a lighthearted way. There are references to the pope in some prayers but he's in no way the absolute focus of worship.

I've heard (non crazy) others (Anglicans and Orthodoxen as well as RCs) refer to Mary as 'Mama Mary', but never the Pope as dad :/

I'm not trying to be snarky, but there is something seriously wrong with her. I wish she would get some help so she could be the kind of mother her kids need. She annoys the hell out of me, but I really think she's sick and I feel bad for her and her family.

I agree she is sick! And she does need some help.

I agree she is sick! And she does need some help.

I agree with this. There is something really wrong with her. Also, did you notice how she's going to close down the blog for Lent and yet there's three more posts after that? She can't bear to not be writing on her blog for six weeks. Writing on her blog is stroking her ego too much.

I still find it funny because I don't think there's a dam thing wrong with her, other than a giant ego.

Some people like religion, especially the Catholic church, because they like to feel like they're part of something bigger than themselves.

Abigail does the exact opposite. She tries to reduce something larger than her down to a smaller, Abigail-centered verison so that she can continue to pretend that the world revolves around her.

I grew up in a Hispanic Catholic family and "papa" was used in Spanish conversations about the Pope. I agree with others, Abigail is using "papa" in a dad sense. She has annoying view about some of the figures in Catholicism. She also posted the St. Valentine prayer today, I guess she decided not to give up blogging for Lent.

Does she make money off of her blog? If she does, then maybe she realized she couldn't give it up for Lent. It sounds that they need the money so that her kids can eat, but she seems to like to waste it on stuff.

That is very odd. My parents are devout Catholic converts, lean towards pre-Vatican II stuff, and adored the previous Pope and this one. BUT, neither featured as "dad" to them. Very, very weird.

You will hear Europeans and Latinos call the pope "Papa," but they don't mean it in the "Dad" sense. Good grief this woman.

That is so funny. And you may not be too far fron the truth.

So if it's Mommy Mary and Pope Dad, is Jesus her (half) brother?

I guess the first post I had didn't post (I hate my phone sometimes!)...no, she is actually engaged to Jesus, so they can't be related.....

I guess the first post I had didn't post (I hate my phone sometimes!)...no, she is actually engaged to Jesus, so they can't be related.....

Or she has more issues than we thought. :think:

I'm a practicing Roman Catholic and even I find this creepy. Italians call him Papa, but that's just the language. She's getting mighty close to idolotry with that kind of thinking. . . .

Also, as a Catholic, I'm kinda glad. I was never a fan of Ratzinger. He was too fussy and conservative, and I still can't believe his first speech as the pope was about the evils of Harry Potter. I mean, really... war? Poverty? Let's talk smack on a made up fairy tale. And I call bullshit on the "I'm too tired and old". Popes have been older, and worked till they dropped. You diodn't think you could do it, you had no business accepting the papacy.

I remember the weekend JPII died, though. I cried. My family always referred to him as " buona papa", the good pope. He is pretty revered. I have kind of a crazy story about visiting his crypt. His crypt is down in the catacombs, and is roped off and guarded by a member of the Vatican Guard. I was standing there when a little old lady walked by, and tossed a rosary on to his grave. I thought it was sweet until she tried to climb over the rope to get it. The guard freaked out, and pushed her back. They had a good five minute argument over it, she was practically shrieking at him to let her get it, and the guard was basically saying "You want me to step on the pope's face? No!" My Italian isn't that good when people are talking that fast, but he definitely called her a disrespectful something-or-other. He finally relented, toed the edge of the crypt, and handed them back. Then told her to get out immediately.

Crazy stuff to see on hallowed grounds

This is one messed up family tree.

Abigail, if you really want to insist you are related to God...Raquel is now your annoying little sister. Theres also a bunch of random SAHD's who insist they are dating Jesus as well. Im sure your real family isnt that bad.

The pope creeps me out, theres just something about him that I dont like

Didn´t Ratzinger say , quite in his first days as Pope, he would like to "get rid"of all that ineffective burdens like liberal catholics so only the die-hard fundamental core would remain so the catholic church could quasi "rebirth"?

Ratzinger is a defender of the more extreme monastery life concept, like the inclosure. He´s possibly quite uncomfortable with a Secular Third Order Carmelite

I'm a practicing Roman Catholic and even I find this creepy. Italians call him Papa, but that's just the language. She's getting mighty close to idolotry with that kind of thinking. . . .

Also, as a Catholic, I'm kinda glad. I was never a fan of Ratzinger. He was too fussy and conservative, and I still can't believe his first speech as the pope was about the evils of Harry Potter. I mean, really... war? Poverty? Let's talk smack on a made up fairy tale. And I call bullshit on the "I'm too tired and old". Popes have been older, and worked till they dropped. You diodn't think you could do it, you had no business accepting the papacy.

I remember the weekend JPII died, though. I cried. My family always referred to him as " buona papa", the good pope. He is pretty revered. I have kind of a crazy story about visiting his crypt. His crypt is down in the catacombs, and is roped off and guarded by a member of the Vatican Guard. I was standing there when a little old lady walked by, and tossed a rosary on to his grave. I thought it was sweet until she tried to climb over the rope to get it. The guard freaked out, and pushed her back. They had a good five minute argument over it, she was practically shrieking at him to let her get it, and the guard was basically saying "You want me to step on the pope's face? No!" My Italian isn't that good when people are talking that fast, but he definitely called her a disrespectful something-or-other. He finally relented, toed the edge of the crypt, and handed them back. Then told her to get out immediately.

Crazy stuff to see on hallowed grounds

I feel the same. Becoming Pope is like becoming a US Supreme Court justice. You expect to have a bit of mileage on you before you are even considered; and your tenure is life, assuming good behavior. You can expect that your old grandpa years will be spent in the same drafty halls reading and writing the same type of things, except when you're Il Papa, you don't even have grandchildren to woo you away. All indications are he didn't really care to be Pope anyhow, so why didn't he just say no? And if saying no back in 2005 would have been like spitting in God's face, then why is it OK to say no now? So many things about this would torque me off if I were Catholic, but a surprising (to me) amount of the Catholic response seems to be, "Oh, poor old guy, it's OK to take a break." Really? What did you think the job would be like?

Archived