IGNORED

Jana depressed...your opinion?

alysee

1) Do you think Jana is clinically depressed?

a) If so do you think the Duggars would allow her to use anti-depressants or just tell her to pray more

2) Or is it because of her situation(with all the younger kids and being overworked)

3) Or do you think she is depressed because she isn't being courted?

I'm not a psychologist, so take this with a huge grain of salt:

1. Yes

2. No - they'd tell her to pray more and keep sweet.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, if she actually isn't being courted.

I think she's depressed but I highly doubt they would go for anti-depressants. Isn't Gothard against Psychiatry treatments? I'm thinking maybe that's why Jana went on that Journey to the Heart again recently in hopes her resentment would go away. Either that or maybe this was her temporary way out to get a break from her family.

If she is depressed, it could be because of what she has to put up with on a daily basis. Having to be a second mother to your own siblings could mentally and emotionally drain a girl, especially someone like Jana. I know they follow JOY and it can be a good thing to put others first before you but sometimes you really do need to take a step back and focus on yourself.

The Duggars wouldn't allow her to use any mental illness meds. They would probably continue to pray or send her back to Journey of the Heart.

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand it, clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. I wouldn't be comfortable assuming someone had this condition by watching them on tv.

That being said, I do think that Jana is unhappy with her life and lack of choices, and she is visibly sad, discouraged, and probably isn't too hopeful that anything will change soon (or ever).

And no, I highly doubt she would be allowed to seek any type of treatment other than more re-programming and lots of prayer.

I'm not a doctor, but as I understand it, clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. I wouldn't be comfortable assuming someone had this condition by watching them on tv.

That being said, I do think that Jana is unhappy with her life and lack of choices, and she is visibly sad, discouraged, and probably isn't too hopeful that anything will change soon (or ever).

Agree on all points! My constant reminder on all things Duggar: We only see what the editors allow us to see. She may be really applying herself to her CLEP-tests or to her music or may even have had a failed courtship that we won't be hearing about. She's also a young adult who has no say over her life--that would make anyone sad.

Agree on all points! My constant reminder on all things Duggar: We only see what the editors allow us to see. She may be really applying herself to her CLEP-tests or to her music or may even have had a failed courtship that we won't be hearing about. She's also a young adult who has no say over her life--that would make anyone sad.

I agree with both of you. I might be wrong but as understand it, clinical depression is chemical and usually happens regardless of environment or events in life. I think Jana is depressed--if she is depressed--from the complete lack of choice or control in her life. Couple that with the fact that she's been conditioned to believe her success and happiness can only be found through marriage and motherhood, neither of which are on the horizon and she's bound to be depressed. Also, she's had to literally mother her own siblings. She not been allowed to be a person in her own right.

She not been allowed to be a person in her own right.

Women in Patriarchy are not supposed to be "persons in their own right"....So sad. There's a book--"No Will of her own" (something close to that) that discusses this problem.

Still, the Duggar girls have at least been able to pursue music--although perhaps not music styles or instruments they would choose in a less restrictive environment, and photography.

In a way, I'm sure getting out of the house on all the trips has made it harder--they can clearly see what they are missing.

I hope Jana isn't depressed but I don't know. I was on depression meds for a long time. It is not fun, especially when you are being told to just "snap out of it" or don't have money for medical attention. I don't know what Journey to the heart is about but I wouldn't want to do it.

Women in Patriarchy are not supposed to be "persons in their own right"....So sad. There's a book--"No Will of her own" (something close to that) that discusses this problem.

Still, the Duggar girls have at least been able to pursue music--although perhaps not music styles or instruments they would choose in a less restrictive environment, and photography.

In a way, I'm sure getting out of the house on all the trips has made it harder--they can clearly see what they are missing.

I know. but I suppose I always underestimate the lengths of these people having grown up nice and secular with notions of equality. One wants to hope that their love for the daughters/sisters/wives etc would give them some compassion or that they would relent when seeing such unhappiness....but apparently not.

I really hope it's because she's shy & is tired of the TV show and appearances. She seems like a really sweet girl.

Like others have said, it's really hard to diagnose her from afar.

If she is depressed, it might actually be because she is courting and doesn't particularly like the boy. I wouldn't be surprised if her parents forced her into essentially an arranged marriage against her will to form some kind of alliance. Or even if she actually liked the boy, she might just be terrified of sex, childbirth, and commitment to a life-long lifestyle.

I know that some ex-QFs started questioning their lifestyle around the time their daughters started courting. Vickie was gung-ho about the whole thing until suddenly she had to figure out what to do with her oldest daughter when she finished high school. Maybe that's not the best example because Vickie is a little wishy-washy. But I think that even the most enthusiastic moms have to really face their doubts it comes time to put their daughters through the same thing.

I agree with both of you. I might be wrong but as understand it, clinical depression is chemical and usually happens regardless of environment or events in life. I think Jana is depressed--if she is depressed--from the complete lack of choice or control in her life. Couple that with the fact that she's been conditioned to believe her success and happiness can only be found through marriage and motherhood, neither of which are on the horizon and she's bound to be depressed. Also, she's had to literally mother her own siblings. She not been allowed to be a person in her own right.

Depression can happen under any circumstances, but bad events can make it worse or make it more likely to show up. Some people have the chemical imbalance so strong that they'll have it no matter what, but some people are just prone to it and will only experience during bad situations, like losing a job or being in an abusive relationship. It's complicated but external factors can play a role in some cases.

I don't know if she's depressed or not, but I would be in her shoes. She's basically being used by her parents as free labor. I hope she wakes up one day and realizes she has the right to say "no" if she's being over-worked. And she also has the right to leave the situation if they won't respect her wishes.

Although depression is biochemical, as I understand it you can be unhappy about something and cause the process to start, then clinical depression sets in. I had some clinical depression after a few miscarriages and it resolved quickly with meds. I just couldn't climb out on my own.

Archived