IGNORED

Dr Phil rerun- dad of 7 won't work

batwing

A Dr Phil rerun showed on OWN this morning and will be on again later this afternoon. The gist is two college eduated parents of 7 refuse to work because it's God's will. No water, no heat, their extended family is comparing them to a cult.

Here's the description with some clips of the show:

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1029

“What you’re not supposed to do is pick and choose from the Bible as though it’s a buffet to support the things that particularly are your agenda at the time. Now, that’s not what the Bible says. And it is not right to cherry pick and come up with things that support not working,†Dr. Phil says.

Dr. Phil... I don't care for the man's opinions at times, but alas, he hit the nail on the head here! Good quote.

(and for the first time in over a year wishing I had cable so I could watch this! I wonder if Dr. Phil is on Hulu... hmmmm)

There was a flood, and the water was rising.

Joe went to his first floor window, as the water sloshed around the ground floor, and saw his neighbours in a boat.

'Jump in' they yelled, ' and we'll save you!'

'No thanks,' replied Joe, 'the Lord will save me!'

So the neighbours went away, and the waters went on rising.

Joe went to his attic window, as the water sloshed around the first floor, and saw the police in a boat.

So the police went away, and the waters went on rising.

Joe climbed onto his roof, as the waters sloshed around the attic, and saw the Coastguard in a helicopter.

'Take the rope' they yelled, ' and we'll save you!'

So the Coastguard went away, and the waters went on rising.

And Joe drowned.

As he stood before the Lord, he reproached him:

'Lord, I believed in you, I was faithful, yet you did not save me!'

And the Lord replied 'I sent two boats and a helicopter. What more did you want?'

Remember, this is basically how Nancy Campbell's (of "Above Rubies") daughter Serene lives and Nancy laughed about it.

i've kind of thought for a while that the lack of any good outcome in this show is why Dr Phil won't do stuff involving fundies anymore.

There was a flood, and the water was rising.

Joe went to his first floor window, as the water sloshed around the ground floor, and saw his neighbours in a boat.

So the neighbours went away, and the waters went on rising.

Joe went to his attic window, as the water sloshed around the first floor, and saw the police in a boat.

So the police went away, and the waters went on rising.

Joe climbed onto his roof, as the waters sloshed around the attic, and saw the Coastguard in a helicopter.

'Take the rope' they yelled, ' and we'll save you!'

So the Coastguard went away, and the waters went on rising.

And Joe drowned.

As he stood before the Lord, he reproached him:

'Lord, I believed in you, I was faithful, yet you did not save me!'

And the Lord replied 'I sent two boats and a helicopter. What more did you want?'

This is so right on, it deserves a dancing banana - with angel wings! :banana-angel:

Man, I wish I had cable sometimes. I'm going to try to find the show title so I can download a Torrent and watch it.

The wife is responsible, too. I guess I always go there because I come from a culture where women are expected to work unless the family is wealthy. I think feminism should bring equal opportunity and equal accountability, especially when it comes to keeping the lights on.

I saw that when it aired a few weeks ago. The family was totally nuts. They collected rain water for drinking and showering. They lost their electricity and gas. I would think it would be dangerous for a family in Minnesota to live without heat. The creepiest part was that it was obvious the father was your typical fundie patriarch. They showed the whole family sitting around the living room having Bible time with the father.

I felt terrible for the mother's parents. There wasn't much they could do that wouldn't involve either enabling the parents or harming the children. I would bet the couple has at least one more child. They didn't seem like they were willing to change their lifestyle at all. I don't think the mother would take the kids and leave.

One good thing that will come of this is that someone from their local CPS will see the show.

Saw it when it aired and never forgot the idiot. He's the one whose latest business was selling some kind of vinyl clingie thing to go over license plates to keep them from being read by red-light cameras, right? Dr. Phil called him on that one regarding his "Christianity."

Wife knew he was a nutjob. She needs to get off her butt and follow her brain.

Saw it when it aired and never forgot the idiot. He's the one whose latest business was selling some kind of vinyl clingie thing to go over license plates to keep them from being read by red-light cameras, right? Dr. Phil called him on that one regarding his "Christianity."

Wife knew he was a nutjob. She needs to get off her butt and follow her brain.

Yep, that's the one.

Man, I wish I had cable sometimes. I'm going to try to find the show title so I can download a Torrent and watch it.

The wife is responsible, too. I guess I always go there because I come from a culture where women are expected to work unless the family is wealthy. I think feminism should bring equal opportunity and equal accountability, especially when it comes to keeping the lights on.

It was called "Living on a Prayer"

Remind anyone of a certain Dna and emily? I remember when this first aired on tv and I would love to see how things turned out for this family since its been 3 years since the show aired. The dad seems very self centered and childish how he thinks it's "God's will" that he basically let his children live in squalor.

Silver "Suki" Jeans, Bootcut. I like the plus size because they have a way higher rise then on the regular. I have a long torso and I have a problem with buttcrackitis. Not with these Jeans.

I ONLY wear skinny jeans with boot. I'm too curvy not too.

Silver "Suki" Jeans, Bootcut. I like the plus size because they have a way higher rise then on the regular. I have a long torso and I have a problem with buttcrackitis. Not with these Jeans.

I ONLY wear skinny jeans with boot. I'm too curvy not too.

HOW did you manage to post this response not only in the wrong thread, but in the wrong forum!? Hee hee oops. :lol:

• 4 months later...

HOW did you manage to post this response not only in the wrong thread, but in the wrong forum!? Hee hee oops. :lol:

There's a thread about jeans going on somewhere? Weee! *goes off to find it*

Whoops, I never noticed this. Usually when I'm on the forum I have different tabs for threads, multitask fail.

One good thing that will come of this is that someone from their local CPS will see the show.

I haven't seen the episode, I don't think, but if Minnesota (where I think they are from?) is anything like KY, no water, no heat does not mean CPS will take the children, or even demand the family get it. In KY it is not required because there are places in eastern KY that do not have running water or electrical heat.

They have to have SOME sort of heat source - woodstove at least. Or they can't live through the winter. We get at least a week most years when it's below zero every single day (zero Fahrenheit, or -18 Celsius).

Archived