IGNORED

You Thought it Couldn't Get Worse®: Kansas 2 Pregnant Women

AudreyE

Isn't this in severe violation of every type of medical ethics, the patient's right to know about the shit going on IN HER OWN BODY, as well as being ass-backward and fucking stupid!?

Grrrrrrrrr....This makes me stabby.

I can't imagine the mental gymnastics at play when an OB/GYN patient, particularly a pregnant one, comes into the office, asking questions about the baby's development, "What does he look like now?", etc. and have the doctor stonewall or just smile and grit his teeth and outright fabricate, "Oh, now, don't worry, the little one's just fine", etc. to discover at the delivery the baby has galloping problems the doctor should have detected and told the new parents about. So what'll these docs start to do? Purposely be absent when said mommy goes into labor? Doctors are going to have to be "trained" to deflect any inquiries about the coming baby and commit evasive tactics when the new parents find their child "has problems". And who's going to "teach" these doctors how to behave?

If a doctor's highest oath is "First, do no harm", how are they going to square that with lying to their patients?

Oh, for fuck's sake:

The "let doctors lie" provision of this law would give legal protection to a doctor who discovers that a baby will be born with a devastating condition and deliberately withholds that information from his patient.

http://www.aclu.org/blog/reproductive-f ... t-hurt-you

This is so wrong, on so many levels. I think it also violates the Hippocratic Oath.

Everyone has the right to results of any testing they have done. This is one more reason to always gets copy of all lab work and studies you have done. The article mentions not revealing the results of cvs, amnio, and lab tests as well as ultrasounds. The first thing I tell every new cancer patient is to always get your own copies of all labs, scans, biopsies. Keep your own records. Now pregnant women may need to do the same thing. I don't think this law would pass but you never know.

I am just amazed by this entire concept. It's more than just hostile toward women's reproductive rights; it's madness to even talk about it. Yet, here we are talking about it, because there is nothing so sick and twisted that extreme pro-lifers won't waste our time with it. Think of what might be accomplished, if people were actually compromising and legislating instead of creating these political dog & pony shows.

God forbid this actually could pass. I'm getting afraid to say, "Never," in the current climate.

so what happens if a treatment could help the problem fetus and the doctor does not want to tell the parent because of the abortion issue.

of course these same assholes would not pay for those downs babies and worse.

Right here in Washington state a local Christian radio host just had a Downs baby that wasn't diagnosed till the birth. I am pretty sure she had no prenatal tests as she is no abortion and appears to be early to mid 30's but there were lots of ultrasounds. When I was pg 26 yrs ago the doc was insistent on prenatal tests to cover his ass. She is going on about how this baby was meant to be raised by them. Fine but you should be prepared for such an outcome and it is so wrong if the MD knew but didn't tell them due to all the scans.

Right here in Washington state a local Christian radio host just had a Downs baby that wasn't diagnosed till the birth. I am pretty sure she had no prenatal tests as she is no abortion and appears to be early to mid 30's but there were lots of ultrasounds. When I was pg 26 yrs ago the doc was insistent on prenatal tests to cover his ass. She is going on about how this baby was meant to be raised by them. Fine but you should be prepared for such an outcome and it is so wrong if the MD knew but didn't tell them due to all the scans.

I would want to know, not because I'd get an abortion, but because I'd want to get a head start on lining up resources and support. I have a co-worker who is a pediatric nurse practitioner and when she got pregnant at age 38 for the first time, a total surprise after years of failed infertility treatments and no treatments in 2 years, she elected not to get testing done. She believes in abortion and has referred women to abortion but she said she knew she could not choose abortion after wanting a baby for so long. And if the baby had Downs they'd cope. The baby didn't have Downs, and 2 years later she had another surprise pregnancy, no testing, no Downs. Then she had a tubal ligation. ;)

I just mentioned this to my husband. He asked if the doctor will subsidize the raising of the child with medical issues.

there you go. this thing will show how stupid it is when someone takes a doc to court to pay for the child.

I'm not surprised by anything I read any more and have lost all faith in our government. It all boils down to money. A politician will sell his soul for the almighty dollar. Has anyone ever seen a documentary called Outrage? A gay, democrat, atheist turned into a born again Christian, republican, straight man when he got the financial backing from a conservative group. Gay politicians are married to women. They vote against gay marriage, aids funding, etc. Politicians are corrupt. They go where the money is. AZ passed a similar bill regarding doctors and lawsuits. Michael Bryan who writes a blog summed it up very well. "It demonstrates clearly that frequently those who claim to be moved by faith are actually moved by the deep pockets of their financial backers." http://www.blogforarizona.com/blog/2012 ... se-of.html

Then people wonder why people don't always trust doctors. They are being told they are legally allowed to lie to you. They are allowed to lie because they think they stand on some supposed moral high ground. Life seems to only count for the fetus - mom sorry you aren't entitled to the respect you should have as a person. One reason to never live in Kansas.

Edit: Just because a woman knows doesn't mean she will automatically abort. Some people want to know simply to have time to digest the information and prepare for the birth of a possibly disabled child. It's a lot to take in. Well we know all of you will abort...really...

Archived