IGNORED

Family Guy takes on Christian Scientists!

xReems

I'm watching Family Guy on Adult Swim and it's a new episode where Stewie's friend, Scotty, has cancer. They ask Lois why they brought Scotty to the hospital and when Lois questioned it, the parents said "Oh, we're Christian Scientists, we don't believe in modern medicine. We believe that the power of faith will cure his disease." They even bring up the woman who founded Christian Science.

I'm liking how even cartoon shows are starting to notice how crazy some of these Christian Fundamentalists are with believing that praying is the only medicine to cure anything.

I'm watching this episode right now on the Cartoon network. I immediately thought of this site when the parents told Lois about them being Christian Scientists and not believing in modern medicine.

A good friend of mine who's Catholic plays organ for the Christian Science church in a well to do neighborhood (Palos Verdes Estates, CA) and we were talking about how crazy they are. When people die, that's it. They die. No service, no memorial, they just cease to exist in this plane of existence. I asked about their families and he said they are supposed to go on as if nothing ever happened.

I've been to a Wednesday night testimony service and these people are out there. Every scripture reading (KJV of course) is accompanied by a reading written by Mary Baker Eddy.

I too wish the Family Guy would take on a Duggar like family. Oh the jokes that could come from that.

I saw this episode a little while ago and thought it was really interesting. I don't actually know much about Christian Scientists though (although I believe we have a church for them here).

It seems kind of odd. I mean, shows like Family Guy tend to push things to more extremes, but how accurate would you say their portrayal was?

When there are real life stories about faith-healing adherents like the guy who died after sitting in a chair for several months waiting for G-d to heal his broken leg, or the 2-year-old girl who died from choking on a banana because her parents prayed instead of giving her the Heimlich maneuver, I don't think it's even possible for Family Guy to be too extreme.

The only thing I personally (as someone who admittedly doesn't know any Christian Scientists that I know of) found out there was how easily Lois convinced them to get the boy medical help at the end. I give them the benefit of the doubt though, since it was either that or the kid dies.

Archived