IGNORED

Laws on Plan B

MandyLaLa

I'm not sure if it varies state to state, but I know where I live you have to be 17 to get Plan B without a prescription. I think that's wrong, I think our country needs to wake up and realize purity is not sweeping the country kids are having sex younger and younger. If they can buy condoms which means they're having sex Plan B should be available.

I'm pretty liberal when it comes to sexual freedoms, I have older teenage nieces and I let them know ages ago if they were ever in a bind and needed it I'd get it for them. But then again their heathen sluts who deserve a baby for having sex and blah blah blah.

What's really bad is that there are stories of 17-year-olds who are being told by pharmacists that they have to be 18 to buy Plan B, even though the minimum age is 17. There are also reports of men being turned away, with the pharmacist claiming you have to be a woman to buy it--also not true.

Someone on Freejinger told me that with sexually active teens in the house, it is a good idea to get a dose of Plan B "just to have around" and make sure the teens know where it is and that you won't notice it missing if it is needed. Even if your teen is a son, he might, say, raid the cabinet on a girlfriend's behalf. Without your knowledge or permission of course. Far be it from me to give someone else's children medication. :whistle: :shhh:

I've used it twice and both times were just extremely precautionary and I probably didn't realllly need it, but the first time the pharmacist lectured me and I cried.

While discrimination against teenagers trying to get Plan B is awful, I have even more of a problem with "conscience clauses" that allow pharmacists to refuse to sell a safe OTC drug because they have some objection to preventing pregnancy.

It's a state-sponsored license to slut-shame.

No one should lecture anyone - they dont know your situation. Thats unacceptable BS. But thats probably why I buy this kind of stuff online.

It appears amazon has it as well (apparently mine is expired... need a new one!)

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Contrac ... 354&sr=8-2

This is a different pill, dont know anything about it... half the price...

http://www.amazon.com/Cipla-i-pill-Emer ... 354&sr=8-1

My life saver in college was that you could get it at the campus clinic for the lowest price around and they would bill it as misc. medication to your student account. It saved my ass.

Someone on Freejinger told me that with sexually active teens in the house, it is a good idea to get a dose of Plan B "just to have around" and make sure the teens know where it is and that you won't notice it missing if it is needed. Even if your teen is a son, he might, say, raid the cabinet on a girlfriend's behalf. Without your knowledge or permission of course. Far be it from me to give someone else's children medication. :whistle: :shhh:

One thing my high school boyfriend's parents did (in a similar vein) was to fill up a shoebox with condoms and put it under the sink. There were so many in there that unless you were having sex 7 times a day every day of the week, there would be no way to tell if one was missing. I don't have kids of my own, but I'd definitely do the condom box and keep plan B around so that they can stay safe without feeling like I'm invading their privacy.

I keep condoms around, but I worry about the occasional break or whatever. I feel much better knowing that the Plan B is available. I had a child too young, I don't want my son and his sweet little girlfriend in that situation. Her parents are in denial, so she is not on the Pill.

One thing my high school boyfriend's parents did (in a similar vein) was to fill up a shoebox with condoms and put it under the sink. There were so many in there that unless you were having sex 7 times a day every day of the week, there would be no way to tell if one was missing. I don't have kids of my own, but I'd definitely do the condom box and keep plan B around so that they can stay safe without feeling like I'm invading their privacy.

For better or for worse, when my baby sis was in HighSchool and I was in college, I thought about this...and I didn't have the spare cash to do it if they may have been going 'to waste' (or a way to make sure my parents didn't have access to it. Nor would I have been happy about it, since it would have been statutory rape for her to sleep w/ her then BF).

What I did do for her was allow her access to my tampon stash (so she didn't have to be stuck w/ belt-on-pads or whatever and make it clear, on a pretty regular basis, that I'd get her whatever she needed (I did also tell her that I didn't really think she should be sleeping w/ the guy, all things considered. And that she and he should be grown-up enough to buy their own supplies. But I also made sure she'd have whatever she needed). And I made her doctor appts, since it was 'unnecessary' for us to get physicals of any sort. :roll:

I feel I must have been very lucky when I took Plan B the two times I needed it. The first was in high school and my then-BF convinced me to get it and even paid for it (don't be fooled, he was an asshole)- we picked it up from the local Planned Parenthood and it was no hassle at all. The second time I was in Japan and even though I had to go to the hospital to get it, they just asked me a few questions and handed it over. My Japanese government health insurance even paid for it. I think everyone should be able to access it as easily as I did, and that it's not the government's place to legislate morals.

I've used it twice and both times were just extremely precautionary and I probably didn't realllly need it, but the first time the pharmacist lectured me and I cried.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I got yelled at by a convenience store clerk for buying a pregnancy test once...so awkward.

Plan B should be as available and non-controversial as throat lozenges.

I dont even know if it was available when i was in college.

Depo Provera was just on the market and I thought it was the best thing ever.

I do like the idea of the condom box under the sink and the plan B accessable to them if they should ever need it.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm glad you are discussing this because it reminded me to go downstairs and check the expiration date on the box I keep in the cupboard should there be an issue for one of my sons (although they assure me this will never happen - uh-huh).

Anyway, good to go for two months. Thanks for the drugstore.com tip, Buzzard - last time I paid nearly $70 for it, and had to deal with the pharmacist looking at me like a woman my age should have these issues under control.

Unfortunately for my youngest sibling, our condom tin was so ignored that I don't think it got any refills/refreshments when he got to, er, an age. The depleted supply, at least, was partly his fault. He was the one taking them out to use as water balloons or props in hilarious photo shoots.

I spoke to my husband about this last night and the first question he asked was who is responsible to keep it full. Second question was about water balloons. :roll: :D

Before Plan B was available, my doctor told me to keep two extra months of triphasil on hand for emergency situations- like forgetting to take your pill for like a week, and then having unprotected sex. If you take four of the yellow pills within 120 hours of the unprotected sex and then 4 more 12 hours later, the dosage is the same as the Morning After pill. Start the new pill pack right away on the normal first day hormones. I was 16 when she told me about this.

Before Plan B was available, my doctor told me to keep two extra months of triphasil on hand for emergency situations- like forgetting to take your pill for like a week, and then having unprotected sex. If you take four of the yellow pills within 120 hours of the unprotected sex and then 4 more 12 hours later, the dosage is the same as the Morning After pill. Start the new pill pack right away on the normal first day hormones. I was 16 when she told me about this.

This is one of the reasons I don't get the plan B outrage...

everyone I know has missed pills and has to double/triple up on occasion--which 'kinda' does the same thing Plan B does.

I'm old, and this was common knowledge when I was a young, sexually active teen/20 something. Many is the time a friend had a condom break, and we all pooled BC pills so she could take the big dose, "just in case". I thought everyone knew this...until Plan B and all its hoop-la came about, suddenly its this abortificent horror. :roll:

I'm old, and this was common knowledge when I was a young, sexually active teen/20 something. Many is the time a friend had a condom break, and we all pooled BC pills so she could take the big dose, "just in case". I thought everyone knew this...until Plan B and all its hoop-la came about, suddenly its this abortificent horror. :roll:

I'm 33, so this was 1994/1995 when I got this information. It wasn't common knowledge amongst my friends, until one of them had a condom break, and I gave her my extra pills and told her what to do with them.

Amazon and Drugstore are my friends!

To this day I have 6 months ahead BC pills from when I was in college and we hoarded them. Only one friend needed them... and she took 3 packs... SICK AS A DOG!

This was 1997...

The thing about the four pills; it is easy for a teenager to fuck it up. To think that more might be better, or that four is way too many so I'll just take two! Plan B has explicit, easy to read instructions. I think they should have it free at the school nurse's office. It's cheaper than having a school daycare.

I wish they would just drop the age requirement and stock this stuff with the OTC meds in the drug store. I had an incident just last weekend and needed to grab one, but my boyfriend and I were visting friends in a different city and didn't really want to bring up the fact that we had a slip up in their basement. So we discreetly snuck to a pharmacy in the morning but the pharmacists told us they didn't have any (Yeah, I'm sure.). We didn't have an oppurtunity to discreetly sneak to another drugstore until much later, and by then all the pharmacies were closed. We almost gave up, but eventually found a drugstore with a 24 hour pharmacy and hooray we were saved.

The point of my excessively long story is: Can we just please remove all barriers to this stuff? Accidents happen and weird circumstances arise. Sheesh.

Archived