IGNORED

Kelly's new house

ThisOlGirl

So GC Kelly is getting her new house built by a volunteer crew. I'm not sure how I feel about this. What happened to Kelly and her family (and so many other folks in her area) is horrible; I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But then again, I think Kelly is a total shithead, and I feel she doesn't deserve a new house built by a volunteer crew more (or less I suppose) than anyone else. Major mixed feelings here.

Oh, and she's finally getting around to thanking everyone for all the donations--or did I miss that part? Last I read, she was giving thanks to God for everything, with no mention of the actual people who donated to her and her family. I'd be curious to know how much of this new house was paid for by donations.

*Yes, I'm a grouchy old hag today.

That's ok. I'm a grouchy old hag after reading about Kelly getting handed every bloody little thing on a silver platter too.... For all her self-promotion, she sure dosen't work for anything, does she?

* I know her house got blown down by a horrible natural disaster. But that whole tornado heart thing she had going on evaporated any soft feelings I may have ever had towards her situation.

I'm glad that Kelly is getting a new home for the sake of her kids. But it bugs me how she bashed FEMA and other forms of government assistance but yet she is receiving assistance from others.

I'm happy for her and especially for the children.

This is one snark I just don't understand. The volunteers, as far as I can tell, are part of her church or somehow related to it. Donations came in from others, who were *willing* participants, and there were at least three families for whom help was being solicited, not just hers. And that is how her church deals with disaster. Her issue with FEMA and government aid is not that she thinks nobody should ever get help or assistance. It's that she disagrees with how the money is collected and implemented. Her church is practicing what they preach in a way that you don't often see, frankly. And the more people whose assistance come from non-government sources, the more leftover for those who do not have a community that is able or willing to help them.

And in spite of losing everything, her family has been doing what they can (in man hours, if not materials) to help other families who lost as well. As long as she thanks people personally, there's no reason a full list has to go up on her blog to satisfy anyone else.

This is one snark I just don't understand.

Because she would NEVER do the same for someone else if they weren't her brand of Christian. Not only that, she would most likely insult them on her blog, saying they didn't pray correctly. The Golden Rule is lost on her.

I'm not sure how one could make that judgement of her entire life from the small window that is her blog.

So, I still don't understand.

I'm not sure how one could make that judgement of her entire life from the small window that is her blog.

So, I still don't understand.

Exactly how long have you been following the antics of the lovely Mrs. Crawford?

I'm happy for her and especially for the children.

This is one snark I just don't understand. The volunteers, as far as I can tell, are part of her church or somehow related to it. Donations came in from others, who were *willing* participants, and there were at least three families for whom help was being solicited, not just hers. And that is how her church deals with disaster. Her issue with FEMA and government aid is not that she thinks nobody should ever get help or assistance. It's that she disagrees with how the money is collected and implemented. Her church is practicing what they preach in a way that you don't often see, frankly. And the more people whose assistance come from non-government sources, the more leftover for those who do not have a community that is able or willing to help them.

And in spite of losing everything, her family has been doing what they can (in man hours, if not materials) to help other families who lost as well. As long as she thanks people personally, there's no reason a full list has to go up on her blog to satisfy anyone else.

My husband's family is in a small neighboring town that experienced terrible destruction (and some loss of life) from that tornado.

Suffice to say that Kelly's experience has not been the norm. But, as usual on her blog, she is "speshul". I see it as the outcome of masterful manipulation (or else, twisting of the truth).

For the record, one of my real-life friends donated to Kelly. She got an email thank-you the same day Kelly got what she sent, and she got a handwritten thank-you note a couple of weeks later. I saw both with my own eyes. It is NOT a fair or accurate snark that she hasn't thanked people.

I don't snark on what has happened to Kelly,, negative (the tornado) or positive (having her house rebuilt). I snark on her attitude, judgment and behaviors/actions. She's a mean, ugly, selfish woman.

No one deserves to lose their home and everyone deserves help getting a new home when that does happen. I don't care if she has sent out a million thank-you's in all forms, it doesn't change that she sits in judgment upon others and that is what makes her a 'target' for snark.

I don't snark on what has happened to Kelly,, negative (the tornado) or positive (having her house rebuilt). I snark on her attitude, judgment and behaviors/actions. She's a mean, ugly, selfish woman.

No one deserves to lose their home and everyone deserves help getting a new home when that does happen. I don't care if she has sent out a million thank-you's in all forms, it doesn't change that she sits in judgment upon others and that is what makes her a 'target' for snark.

I don't like or respect the vast majority of her choices. I am simply stating that the oft-repeated (on the many previous threads about Kelly's current situation) statement that she hasn't thanked people is wrong.

I do have to laugh at what you said, though. "She's a mean, ugly, selfish woman" is pretty damn judgmental.

It reminds me of a sign mentioned in one of Professor Dawkins's books. "Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion!" LOL.

Snarking is inherently judmental. I don't see how it can't be. We look at what people put out there for us to see and make judgments based on that. We all do it all the time, whether we post those thoughts to a forum or not.

So, yeah, I judge people. Not so much for their own choices, but for the damage they inflict on others and I believe Kelly inflicts damage on others. It's not like the issue is simply "her choices".

Snarking is inherently judmental. I don't see how it can't be. We look at what people put out there for us to see and make judgments based on that. We all do it all the time, whether we post those thoughts to a forum or not.

So, yeah, I judge people. Not so much for their own choices, but for the damage they inflict on others and I believe Kelly inflicts damage on others. It's not like the issue is simply "her choices".

I totally agree. It is judgmental, which is why openly declaring that someone is getting snarked on for being judgmental is a bit of oblivious hilarity.

For the record, one of my real-life friends donated to Kelly. She got an email thank-you the same day Kelly got what she sent, and she got a handwritten thank-you note a couple of weeks later. I saw both with my own eyes. It is NOT a fair or accurate snark that she hasn't thanked people.

Ok, trying to post this for the 3rd time--need coffee.

I'm glad that Kelly is thanking people for their help--like I said, I wasn't sure if I missed that or not.

The rest of this is not pointed at you, aerynoctober, just me rambling...

I really am torn about the whole Kelly situation. Kelly accepting help from her followers is really no different than others accepting help from government agencies such as FEMA. I guess the problem that I have is where some of her donations are coming from, like Dougie & Co. I seriously doubt that if Kelly and family were a large Mormon of Catholic family, or even non-VF followers, Dougie's minions wouldn't have been so quick to show up and help out, if they even showed up at all. Add that to the fact that Kelly, on her blog at least, shows very little compassion for others who are not in line with her way of thinking, and that's where my mixed feelings come from. I'm glad that her family will have a house of their own soon--I just wish that others in Kelly's area/situation had gotten through the whole thing as relatively easily as Kelly and fam appeared to.

Ok, trying to post this for the 3rd time--need coffee.

I'm glad that Kelly is thanking people for their help--like I said, I wasn't sure if I missed that or not.

The rest of this is not pointed at you, aerynoctober, just me rambling...

I really am torn about the whole Kelly situation. Kelly accepting help from her followers is really no different than others accepting help from government agencies such as FEMA. I guess the problem that I have is where some of her donations are coming from, like Dougie & Co. I seriously doubt that if Kelly and family were a large Mormon of Catholic family, or even non-VF followers, Dougie's minions wouldn't have been so quick to show up and help out, if they even showed up at all. Add that to the fact that Kelly, on her blog at least, shows very little compassion for others who are not in line with her way of thinking, and that's where my mixed feelings come from. I'm glad that her family will have a house of their own soon--I just wish that others in Kelly's area/situation had gotten through the whole thing as relatively easily as Kelly and fam appeared to.

This really doesn't make me feel torn, and here's why.

My husband and I sent most of our charity budget for May to help out some tornado victims.

If one of the people who lost everything had been part of our own "in group," -- a friend, a family member, someone we know from our social circles, someone we met at the regional atheist/agnostic group, etc., or one of the handful of people from this board who I consider a friend-I've-not-met-yet -- we'd have done 10 times more. We'd have spent our charity budget. We'd have drained one of our emergency accounts. Since I work from home and have complete freedom of schedule, I'd have loaded up a truck and headed out with supplies.

These people aren't behaving any differently than I would have. The big difference is that I don't propagate a religion that says I have to love everyone, but they're only being *normally* hypocritical in this regard, not *unusually* hypocritical, if you know what I mean.

Really? Please. Kelly's attitude is that SHE has suffered, and it's soooooo sad since she's one of God's Chosen. She had not a drop of sympathy for the people of Japan or Haiti. She greedily took in every cent from the poor saps who sent her money, without a single 'we are so blessed to have more than the people around us, so please also send funds to the Red Cross' or what have you. Not a word.

F'k that entitled nasty beyotch. She regularly encourages women who don't have a dollar to their name to pop out as many babies as they can, and she insists that her children are getting educated by looking at the trees from the window or something. Not only is she a moron, she's a dangerous moron.

well I donated to old kelly just to see what happened no thank you for me. I guess I did not give enough to get a thank you.

It reminds me of a sign mentioned in one of Professor Dawkins's books. "Behead those who say Islam is a violent religion!" LOL.

Bizarrely off topic, but I am fascinated by extremism in all its form, and I'm fairly certain, not that he made it up, but that that sign didn't happen. ( For a start, I have wielded many a placard in my life, and I think you'd struggle to fit it all on ;) )

The famous demo in question was called by al Muhajiroun or whatever they are calling themselves this week and the famous sign said "Behead those who insult Islam" Not that that is, er, a good thing to write on a sign, but it at least reveals more internal logic.

However, there were loads of shopped images of the demo kicking around on the Web and I'm pretty sure that was one. Granted, that's not important in the grand scheme of things, but al Muhajiroun are nutters, not stupid. Dawkins very often makes the error of underestimating his adversaries so it wouldn't be amazing if he did this here.

Open to correction (and also, yes, I am a pedant) :twisted:

Really? Please. Kelly's attitude is that SHE has suffered, and it's soooooo sad since she's one of God's Chosen. She had not a drop of sympathy for the people of Japan or Haiti. She greedily took in every cent from the poor saps who sent her money, without a single 'we are so blessed to have more than the people around us, so please also send funds to the Red Cross' or what have you. Not a word.

F'k that entitled nasty beyotch. She regularly encourages women who don't have a dollar to their name to pop out as many babies as they can, and she insists that her children are getting educated by looking at the trees from the window or something. Not only is she a moron, she's a dangerous moron.

I agree with you. She definitely thinks she is one of God's chosen. Why I think so? Well, look at all of those verses about Job. It seems like she thinks she is being tested in her faith, like Job. Satan has challenged her, proposing to God that Job (Kelly) serves him simply because God protects her. God removed Job's (Kelly's) protection, in order to tempt Job (Kelly) to curse God.

What else? The tornado is also a lesson for her: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.†Matthew 6:19-21

Edit. I don't know if it's just Bria who refers to Matthew 6:19-21, or if Kelly also does.

Archived