IGNORED

Talk of the Nation today: Conversation on RC Sex Abuse

duplessis3

Very interesting and I recommend everyone listen to it. One point the expert made was "Just like you shouldn't be shocked by finding an alcoholic in a bar, you shouldn't be shocked to find a pedophile in an agency that serves children."

Very interesting and I recommend everyone listen to it. One point the expert made was "Just like you shouldn't be shocked by finding an alcoholic in a bar, you shouldn't be shocked to find a pedophile in an agency that serves children."

Um no - one shouldn't be shocked to find chickens in a coop - they are supposed to be there. Foxes in a coop, however would be a shock to find. Why? They are not supposed to be there!!!

Her point is that examination of the workers must be ongoing. (I wouldn't be shocked to find foxes in my chicken coop but I do everything I can to keep them the hell out and believe me, they would be punished. Just like pedophiles with children.)

Her point is that examination of the workers must be ongoing. (I wouldn't be shocked to find foxes in my chicken coop but I do everything I can to keep them the hell out and believe me, they would be punished. Just like pedophiles with children.)

Makes complete sense.

EVERY organization that serves children has had predators use them to try to gain access/earn trust of children (and their parents)--it's what they do.

So the onus is on the organization to try to prevent it and deal w/ it appropriately.

allegory:

Last week, I raved about customer service I got from a store.

The store screwed up and ordered the wrong thing--the owner called me, explained her error, and delivered the 1/2 of the order she got right. She offered me several options to correct the 'wrong' part of the order and made sure I was happy.

The measure of good customer service isn't in getting everything right, it's in making sure you deal w/ it appropriately when you get it wrong.

The measure of good 'protect our charges from predators' measures is two fold--it's doing one's darndest to screen properly and supervise properly so predators don't get through and part 2 (the most damning part of what the RC failed at) is, when/if it fails, when someone does get through, making sure the organization both protects the victims and learns how to prevent it from happening again in the future

Archived