IGNORED

I bet a fundie church wouldn't have this prayer

anniebgood

In today's general prayer of the people we had this stanza:

Raise up courageous prophets and leaders who speak truth to power

Open the heavens and let your justice roll down for all who are

oppressed because of color, class, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Makes me proud to be an ELCA Lutheran.

If they did, they'd twist it. By color they'll mean "OMG black people get everything and white people get discriminated against!!" By class they'll mean "the government steals money from the rich to give it to poor black people on crack!" By religion, they'll mean "everyone hates Christians because they're fallen heathens, kids can't celebrate Christmas at school but gays can serve in the military and ogle Christian dudes in the shower!!" (a la Rick Perry) By gender, they'll mean "women have the right to kill their children and get everything in the workforce because of affirmative action and men don't get jobs!" and by sexual orientation they'll mean "GAYS CAN GET MARRIED AND SERVE IN THE MILITARY JUST LIKE HETEROSEXUALS CAN!!11"

Yeah, there's a snowball's chance in hell that that prayer would be said in a fundie church. Good for the ELCA!

I was kind of shocked that it was in the prayer just because. This is the general prayer that's in the national inserts the church sends to congregations to use. But it shows that inclusivity is alive and well in the ELCA. The Mo.Synod would never allow that.

Archived