IGNORED

first trip to goodwill was a success! Ran into FUNDIES

Mamajane

so i read all the time about ppl running into fundies and i never ever get that pleasure! Well the other day i was at my local goodwill for the first time and right before my eyes are 2 jean skirt wearing, collard shirt, long hair, baby toting ladies!!! couldnt believe it! They were discussing if the collard shirts they were looking at were too low cut......almost died when i heard that lol! They totally knew i was starring at them too which was a tad akward for me....i guess i didnt really realize i was starring.....those fundies are so fascinating! :D

I used to run into fundies at the toddler storytime & playgroup sponsored by the public library. They'd sit in the back and tut tut over how liberal the stories were* and how "immodest" the other mothers were dressed. (It was 10AM, us non-fundies were either in a track suit or jeans, and a long sleeved crew neck t-shirt.) They were such a turn off I stopped taking DS to that activity.

*Two stories I remember they complained about where The Snowy Day by Ezra Keats and Harold and the Purple Crayon. Um, hello, PUBLIC, government funded library, offering FREE storytime and other early literacy activities.

ETA: What'd you find at Goodwill?! Any mad scores?

I see them at our local liberal public library. One family was particuarly sad.

Exhausted looking mother, scores of kids, eldest daughter toting toddler, etc. They all piled outside to wait for the patriarch to pick them up.

wtf is wrong with those two stories??? Is it cause one contains black people and the other features a boy imagining things without parental oversight? Those stories rock!

wtf is wrong with those two stories??? Is it cause one contains black people and the other features a boy imagining things without parental oversight? Those stories rock!

I have no idea- those were two of my favorites growing up so I was delighted when the children's librarian included them in story time. And DS loved it, too, because he was familiar with them.

I also should say I saw a fundie mother with about 8 kids at cub foods once....the children all walked in line and did not say a word. The mother was rude as hell though! She blocked an aisle with her damn cart and when i said excuse me she did not move......it was like she didnt see me or any shoppers trying to get past her.....

I also should say I saw a fundie mother with about 8 kids at cub foods once....the children all walked in line and did not say a word. The mother was rude as hell though! She blocked an aisle with her damn cart and when i said excuse me she did not move......it was like she didnt see me or any shoppers trying to get past her.....

Was she digging through her coupon binder? I have a fundie family that I run into frequently at our neighborhood grocery store and she will literally park her cart in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to everyone else, to find a stupid coupon. Heaven help you if you get stuck behind her - she does not let you "play though." She has 6 kids, all who appear to be under the age of 10. The just stand there - like the creepy kids from Children of the Corn.

I used to be nice and wait patiently. Now I'm know as "that woman" when she sees me - might have something to do with a coupon meltdown I had on her a few weeks back.......

;)

I saw a bewildered-looking fundie family here in NYC once. They were right outside of Washington Square Park. Long skirts, Wal-Mart sneakers, the whole get up.

I used to run into fundies at the toddler storytime & playgroup sponsored by the public library. They'd sit in the back and tut tut over how liberal the stories were* and how "immodest" the other mothers were dressed. (It was 10AM, us non-fundies were either in a track suit or jeans, and a long sleeved crew neck t-shirt.) They were such a turn off I stopped taking DS to that activity.

*Two stories I remember they complained about where The Snowy Day by Ezra Keats and Harold and the Purple Crayon. Um, hello, PUBLIC, government funded library, offering FREE storytime and other early literacy activities.

ETA: What'd you find at Goodwill?! Any mad scores?

Wait, what? They didn't like those books? Wow. What's wrong with reading a book about a little African-American kid bundled up for a snowy day and walking around and having fun? Might give their kiddies the wrong idea?

(Personally, my favorite Ezra Jack Keats book was Whistle For Willie. D*mn I loved that book. Still do.)

Wait, what? They didn't like those books? Wow. What's wrong with reading a book about a little African-American kid bundled up for a snowy day and walking around and having fun? Might give their kiddies the wrong idea?

The Snowy Day seems like such a strange book to boycott! There is an illustration of Peter in the bathtub, but it's from the waist up. Perhaps fundies consider it defrauding? But I can't figure out what else they don't like. Peter's mother wears a dress. I can't remember if we see Peter's father, though. Maybe they think she's one of those evil single mothers.

The Snowy Day seems like such a strange book to boycott! There is an illustration of Peter in the bathtub, but it's from the waist up. Perhaps fundies consider it defrauding? But I can't figure out what else they don't like. Peter's mother wears a dress. I can't remember if we see Peter's father, though. Maybe they think she's one of those evil single mothers.

They didn't call for a boycott, they whined how they didn't like it and how they couldn't BELIEVE the public library read it to the children. They would sit in a clump in the back and sigh, with tight smiles on their faces, and complain. Complain about the story, complain about the other moms, complain about the kids. They made the whole playgroup and story time so unenjoyable I quit taking DS.

I love second hand clothes books etc. I can't be mad at the fundies for it. I love the thrift store experience.

Love it. And its environmentally sound.

so i read all the time about ppl running into fundies and i never ever get that pleasure! Well the other day i was at my local goodwill for the first time and right before my eyes are 2 jean skirt wearing, collard shirt, long hair, baby toting ladies!!! couldnt believe it! They were discussing if the collard shirts they were looking at were too low cut......almost died when i heard that lol! They totally knew i was starring at them too which was a tad akward for me....i guess i didnt really realize i was starring.....those fundies are so fascinating! :D

Collard shirts? Hmm, I don't blame you for staring! Brassica oleracea on a collared shirt sounds like something Lady Gaga would wear, not a bunch of fundies!

(Not a grammarian by any means, but it gave me a funny mental picture :) )

I ran into 3 fundie girls at the landry mat one day they folding a huge load of clothes .They were wearing long skirts,had long hair curly at first I did a double take to take to make it wasn't some of the Duggar girls they weren't of course but came close in appearance.They were going on about how they needed to get home to help mom with babies so they trying to hurry.I couldn't help but laugh and they glared at me for second but said nothing just kept folding.

When I lived in Utah, I would run into polygamist at the local thrift store. They were easy to spot with their pouffy hair in the front and impressive braids.

I'm so unlucky. I NEVER have ran into the polygamists every time I go to Utah. Salt Lake, no less. Though at the local thrift stores I hit fundie gold, especially the further south I go in my state, the more fundie it gets, and the more interactions I get with fundies.

I have to admit, it's probably good I have bad luck in Salt Lake City, I'd probably end up staring so much that I'd attract attention to myself....

I'm so unlucky. I NEVER have ran into the polygamists every time I go to Utah. Salt Lake, no less. Though at the local thrift stores I hit fundie gold, especially the further south I go in my state, the more fundie it gets, and the more interactions I get with fundies.

I have to admit, it's probably good I have bad luck in Salt Lake City, I'd probably end up staring so much that I'd attract attention to myself....

The only polygamists I know of in SLC dress in normal clothes. Some may dress like fundies but they tend to blend in. You need to go into rural Utah to see the ones with big hair.

Archived