IGNORED

HeartsDesire posts some quotes

InkyGirl

The ohsoclever writer of heartsdesireposts some quotes from 'feminazies' now I don't know much about feminists per se. I've reaped the benefits obviously, but I haven't done much research. My questions is are these quotes real and if they are real have they been taken out of context? I'd do some googling but it's 3 am here and I really need to go to be.

Here's the link. sarah-heartsdesire.blogspot.com/2012/01/voice-of-liberation.html

And here's some quotes for those who don't ant to venture to her blog.

"Marriage has existed for the benefit of men; and has been a legally sanctioned method of control over women.... We must work to destroy it. The end of the institution of marriage is a necessary condition for the liberation of women. Therefore it is important for us to encourage women to leave their husbands and not to live individually with men.... All of history must be re-written in terms of oppression of women. We must go back to ancient female religions like witchcraft" (from "The Declaration of Feminism")

"By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in human potential, not God" (Gloria Steinem ~ Feminist)

"In order to raise children with equality, we must take them away from families and communally raise them" (Dr. Mary Jo Bane ~ Feminist)

"The most merciful thing a large family can to do one of its infant members is to kill it" (Margaret Sanger ~ Feminist)

"Since marriage constitutes slavery for women, it is clear that the women's movement must concentrate on attacking this institution. Freedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage" (Sheila Cronin ~ Feminist)

"The nuclear family must be destroyed... Whatever its ultimate meaning, the break-up of families now is an objectively revolutionary process" (Linda Gordon ~ Feminist)

"Let's forget about the mythical Jesus and look for encouragement, solace, and inspiration from real women.... Two thousand years of patriarchal rule under the shadow of the cross ought to be enough to turn women toward the feminist 'salvation' of this world" (Annie Laurie Gaylor ~ Feminist)

I can't speak for the specific quotes, but I can say that she seems to have copied them from conservapedia and we all know how "unbiased" that source is. Also going to say, I have no clue what this "The Declaration of Feminism" is, but the only places I have found it mentioned thus far are on anti-feminist sites.

One last point, feminism isn't about destroying family, religion or motherhood. It's about equality and giving women the choice to do what she feels is right for her, whether it is being a stay at home mom, a working mom, childless, unmarried, etc. It's about having access to the same choices men have, and being recognized as autonomous individuals who can think, and decide for themselves.

The Margaret Sanger quote is pretty much word for word...but leaves out the context. She is talking about families of miners who had exhibited high rates of disease, malnutrition and infant mortality. You can read the whole thing here http://www.bartleby.com/1013/5.html.

I think that many of these fundies forget that just because someone is a feminist does not mean that they agree on all aspects of life, politics, philosophy etc. It is the same way they think about atheists (that all of us are exactly the same when really all we share is the lack of belief in a deity). There are also going to be extreme members of every group and, last but not least, they are pretty much doing what they accuse others of doing: taking things completely out of context.

Feminism, like Free Jinger, is not a hive vagina. It is a movement that, through the decades, has had many different goals, focal points, and beliefs. The only real connecting strain is wanting equality for women. Different feminists may have different ideas of exactly what equality entails and how to go about getting it. I should also point out that you can be a feminist and a misandrist at the same time, and that the two should not be confused.

It's entirely possible that those quotes can be attributed to feminists. It's also likely that you will find thousands of other feminists who agree with them, as well as thousands who disagree.

Feminism, like Free Jinger, is not a hive vagina. It is a movement that, through the decades, has had many different goals, focal points, and beliefs. The only real connecting strain is wanting equality for women. Different feminists may have different ideas of exactly what equality entails and how to go about getting it. I should also point out that you can be a feminist and a misandrist at the same time, and that the two should not be confused.

It's entirely possible that those quotes can be attributed to feminists. It's also likely that you will find thousands of other feminists who agree with them, as well as thousands who disagree.

Archived