IGNORED

Do fundies go to Broadway productions?

WonderingInWA

Doug Philips made a big deal once about meeting Steve Schlissel in NYC, going with him to see Fiddler on the Roof and out to dinner. It was one of the days Doug took advantage of being Jewish.

I looooooooove Neil Patrick Harris.

And it would be uproariously funny if some fundies had stumbled into Spring Awakening when it was on Broadway. That show is practically a critique of fundies. And they would be horrified by its, uh, raciness.

My fundie sister goes to select productions once in a while. They have seen "Sound of Music", "Seven Brides or Seven Brothers", those type of family friendly things even though 3 of her kids are adults. I told her we saw the Dracula Ballet and she made a face like that was distasteful.(I would recommend Dracula for kids to see if they hate ballet and you want them to see one show. It has flying and special effects. :)

I looooooooove Neil Patrick Harris.

And it would be uproariously funny if some fundies had stumbled into Spring Awakening when it was on Broadway. That show is practically a critique of fundies. And they would be horrified by its, uh, raciness.

Yup, they would be horrified. I can see fundies also disliking Wicked because of the female characters.

Yup, they would be horrified. I can see fundies also disliking Wicked because of the female characters.

I can see fundies disliking Wicked because it involves magic, so it is clearly of the devil.

Yet another thing I'm bitter about my upbringing for. I was so culturally deprived. I do love me some NPH these days though, I'm trying to make up for lost time. :)

Yet another thing I'm bitter about my upbringing for. I was so culturally deprived. I do love me some NPH these days though, I'm trying to make up for lost time. :)

:)

Guest Anonymous

I can see fundies disliking Wicked because it involves magic, so it is clearly of the devil.

That and the fact that the "Wicked Witch Of The West" is the GOOD guy.

I wanna be sitting next to J'chelle and Boob when they take their older kids to see RENT.

ETA: I love that clip.

I love rent, best musical ever!

Can imagine them maybe going to a religious one, or a mild family one like Mary Poppins or Sound of Music, but considering they don't dance or listen to pop music, it seems it would be a waste on them!

They aren't allowed because it would be giving money to fund teh faggitz.

Actually I have no idea.

That's probably a part of it for some of them.

Didn't the Duggars see Mary Poppins (with some of the older girls) on one of their trips to New York?

I can't recall if it was Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music that some of the Duggars saw on Broadway, but it was clear from what I read of their attending the play that they'd never seen the movie version. They thought the play was over after the first act. :roll:

Just had a flashback, they met the Von Trapp family singers at the Christian film festival or something didnt they? *scratching my head to remember*

Just had a flashback, they met the Von Trapp family singers at the Christian film festival or something didnt they? *scratching my head to remember*

Yes, it was at the same film festival where they met Kirk Cameron.

They aren't allowed because it would be giving money to fund teh faggitz.

Actually I have no idea.

That probably would be a reason some fundies would never go to Broadway production.

I'm surprised they would see Mary Poppins since Mary has some magical powers.

I don't think Sound of Music has been on B-way lately, but that seems relatively safe (although the movie had premarital kissing). Wicked would be out (witchcraft). Spring Awakening would definitely be out (fairly graphic premarital sex scene with some nudity plus an illegal abortion). Memphis would be out since it glorifies rock and roll and has lots and lots of dancing in it. Ditto for Rock of Ages. Some for Jersey Boys (and in one scene one of the characters sleeps with a prostitute). Don't even ask about Priscilla Queen of the Desert or the Book of Mormon.

I wonder how they would feel about Les Miserables if it were still on B-way. I wonder if they would approve of Sister Act. Would Spider Man or The Lion King be objectionable?

They should come to Broadway now and see the revival of Godspell!

I'm surprised they would see Mary Poppins since Mary has some magical powers.

I don't think Sound of Music has been on B-way lately, but that seems relatively safe (although the movie had premarital kissing). Wicked would be out (witchcraft). Spring Awakening would definitely be out (fairly graphic premarital sex scene with some nudity plus an illegal abortion). Memphis would be out since it glorifies rock and roll and has lots and lots of dancing in it. Ditto for Rock of Ages. Some for Jersey Boys (and in one scene one of the characters sleeps with a prostitute). Don't even ask about Priscilla Queen of the Desert or the Book of Mormon.

I wonder how they would feel about Les Miserables if it were still on B-way. I wonder if they would approve of Sister Act. Would Spider Man or The Lion King be objectionable?

They should come to Broadway now and see the revival of Godspell!

I think a lot of fundies would dislike Sister Act.

Perhaps they'd like "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" or "Jesus Christ Superstar". :think:

Perhaps they'd like "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" or "Jesus Christ Superstar". :think:

I don't know about Broadway productions of Joseph, but I remember when my theater group did a production of that show, when the brothers were negotiating with the Ishmaelites, they passed around a giant joint! The Duggars would probably faint if they saw that.

Something tells me they'd be offended by Lion King, there's bits of shamanism and animism in it. The costuming and puppetry in that show are fantastic.

I can't recall if it was Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music that some of the Duggars saw on Broadway, but it was clear from what I read of their attending the play that they'd never seen the movie version. They thought the play was over after the first act.

Archived