IGNORED

Housework songs? Surely they can do better!

Daenerys

Watching the Bates documentary, when they went to ATI at Big Sandy the boys did the ALERT cadet programme whilst the girls sang songs about housework. I can't help thinking that even within the boundaries of their standards there are so many more interesting things the girls could be doing! How about:

Advanced Dressmaking

Cookery Classes

Music Lessons

Writing Workshops

Can anyone think of any more? It's like they spent forever thinking of the boys activities and the girls are just an add-on.

I can think of a lot of things these girls should have the opportunity to learn but if I am limited to things that might be ATI approved:

(1) teaching methods - if these girls are eventually going to run the SOTDRT then they might as well learn how to teach

(2) food science - would deal with the all the chemistry/physics involved in cooking (not strictly ATI but geez, I have got to try and squeeze some education into these girls)

(3) bookkeeping/secretarial skills - officially to help their future husband's business but secretly to give them career options

My guess is that what is in the best interest of the girls doesn't really enter their minds. This is a way of getting the children off their hands so the women can "fellowship".

Guest Anonymous
Whistle While You Work

Happy Little Working Song

Anyone think of any others?

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, It's Off To Work We Go!

The Work Song (Herb Alpert)

Workin' On The Chain Gang (Sam Cooke)

Workin' In A Coal Mine (Lee Dorsey)

" This is the way we wash our clothes, wash our clothes, wah our clothes, this is the way we wash our clothes so early in the morning (while making motions as if scrubbing clothes on an old fashion washboard used by poineers)

It goes on:

This is the way we iron our clothes

Bake the bread

Sweep the floor

etc

Songs to sing while doing housework:

I want your sex by George Michael

Lola by The Kinks

Life in the Fast Lane by The Eagles

Tangled up in Blue by Bob Dylan

Anything by U2

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

There are so much more.

There's

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

Young Hearts Be Free Tonight by Rod Stewart

Rocket Man by Elton John

There's so much more.

Whistle While You Work

Happy Little Working Song

Anyone think of any others?

Hard Is The Fortune

Hard is the fortune of all womankind

She's always controlled and she's always confined

Controlled by her parents until she's a wife

And a slave to her husband the rest of her life.

There are any number of other lyrics to it, thanks to The Folk Process. I'm especially fond of

If fondly we love, yet we dare not reveal,

But secretly languish our sighs to conceal;

Deny'd, ev'ry freedom of life to enjoy;

Asham'd if we're kind, and condemn'd if we're coy.

or

My parents don't like it, because I am poor,

But I have decided I'll stay here no more.

I work for my living, my money's my own,

And if they do not like it they can leave me alone.

How about The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars?

I have been cleaning lately to Ceelo Green. Forget You makes me want to dance. Also, old Jackson Five stuff, like I Want You Back. I can't think of anything objectionable in those songs, except that they make you dance while cleaning which is of course evil.

eta: Lady Gaga has some good dancing tunes also. I like indy-type music best, but Mazzy Star and Tori Amos make me want to sit and write a poem, not get off my ass and do something.

Yeah that's what really irritated me when I saw that special. The boys get to go out and climb and have fun in the woods, while the girls sing songs about housework, give me a freaking break!!!

I agree if the idea is for them to be the teachers, actually give them a proper teaching curriculum to learn from, so they are not raising imbeciles!

As Cletus said..."We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility."... its basicaly how these people work. *sigh*

How about The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars?

I have been cleaning lately to Ceelo Green. Forget You makes me want to dance. Also, old Jackson Five stuff, like I Want You Back. I can't think of anything objectionable in those songs, except that they make you dance while cleaning which is of course evil.

eta: Lady Gaga has some good dancing tunes also. I like indy-type music best, but Mazzy Star and Tori Amos make me want to sit and write a poem, not get off my ass and do something.

Lady Gaga is great to clean to! I listen to mainly alterna-rock, so it's 30 Seconds to Mars or Panic At The Disco or Paramore for cleaning music for me!

Erin should write herself a new song about green hair.

I always wanted them to let the girls do more physical activities. The rockwall wasn't there when they first opened the camp; but, I always wanted to do the teamwork exercises and hikes that I heard my brothers talk about. In some ways, I wish they would've let us girls take part in the firearms training, too. On the feminine side, if they have to stick to those gender roles, it would've been nice to have had *actual* first aid classes from the Red Cross or actual cooking classes. There was one woman who suggested a class on organic gardening (I think it was the late 90s) but it didn't happen. You have to remember that, first and foremost, this is an ATI retreat and the goal isn't on preparing kids for anything except for following the ATI and Quiverful party line. There are less "fun activities" than some of the documentaries and reality programs make one think. Most of the time is spent in Bible Study, singing worship songs, and group discussions on politics and the culture of QF. Then you have breakaway sections where adults can go listen to speakers who are usually selling something.

They might as well not let the girls go at all, since they're not really allowed to do anything. It makes me sad to think about, but the whole opportunity to get out of the house and interact with other people must be exciting for these girls, since they aren't allowed many of those. I guess singing about housework gives them a break from the constant actual housework.

" This is the way we wash our clothes, wash our clothes, wah our clothes, this is the way we wash our clothes so early in the morning (while making motions as if scrubbing clothes on an old fashion washboard used by poineers)

It goes on:

This is the way we iron our clothes

Bake the bread

Sweep the floor

etc

LOLOLOL! We learnt that in school and I hadn't remembered it for years! With the hand motions...

On the rare occasions I do housework, I listen to Minor Threat.

They might as well not let the girls go at all, since they're not really allowed to do anything. It makes me sad to think about, but the whole opportunity to get out of the house and interact with other people must be exciting for these girls, since they aren't allowed many of those. I guess singing about housework gives them a break from the constant actual housework.

The older girls are there for forced child care.

Too bad they didn't get to sing the old country song "Take this job and shove it"

I typically clean to 90's music. Love some Alanis Morissette when I'm cleaning.

I personally like listening to Wagner while cleaning.... Imagine if you will, a buxom redhead moving the broom around while pretending to be the soprano. its hilarious. As I descend upon the laundry pile, I put on Ride of THe Valkeries and giggle the whole time.

Archived