IGNORED

Jasmine's reading list

Doomed Harlottt

So I went over to Jasmine's blog to figure out what she has been up too lately. She has finished her first novel and is in talks in the hope of getting it published. She is excited that she "survived" her first job interview. It was for a teaching gig at some kind of coop. She imagines herself being called "Ms. Baucham" and driving home one day after a rainstorm listening to the Beatles. (Really? The Beatles?) Also:

I also will be in various stages of reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Angelou), two Richard Wright books (Native Son and Black Boy), Go Tell it on the Mountain (Baldwin), The Ways of White Folks (Langston Hughes), Their Eyes were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston), and The Color Purple (Alice Walker): for my American lit class, we had to choose one author in our study and walk about a literary tradition that they inspired -I chose Frederick Douglass, so see if you can guess what my thesis statement for my final paper was? ;-)

This just does not compute for me. Yes, I know Jasmine is one of the better read SAHDs we follow, but I have never understood how she can read books like 1984 while remaining blind to the totalitarian nature of the religious circles she is part of. And I don't see how she can read the above-books and continue to feel herself intellectually combatible with the arch-conservative-bordering-on-white-supremacist folks she hangs out with.

Now, in fairness to Jasmine, she does have a recent post declaring herself to have changed greatly in her views and outlook over the last two years. Is it possible she has become less fundie? I doubt it. I don't see her disavowing her book Joyfully at Home or dad Voddie's worldview or joining the feminist movement. Still, I've always held out hope for Jasmine. She's so darn smart and well read; that has to translate into something other than mindless parrotting of the party line.

So I went over to Jasmine's blog to figure out what she has been up too lately. She has finished her first novel and is in talks in the hope of getting it published. She is excited that she "survived" her first job interview. It was for a teaching gig at some kind of coop. She imagines herself being called "Ms. Baucham" and driving home one day after a rainstorm listening to the Beatles. (Really? The Beatles?) Also:

This just does not compute for me. Yes, I know Jasmine is one of the better read SAHDs we follow, but I have never understood how she can read books like 1984 while remaining blind to the totalitarian nature of the religious circles she is part of. And I don't see how she can read the above-books and continue to feel herself intellectually combatible with the arch-conservative-bordering-on-white-supremacist folks she hangs out with.

Now, in fairness to Jasmine, she does have a recent post declaring herself to have changed greatly in her views and outlook over the last two years. Is it possible she has become less fundie? I doubt it. I don't see her disavowing her book Joyfully at Home or dad Voddie's worldview or joining the feminist movement. Still, I've always held out hope for Jasmine. She's so darn smart and well read; that has to translate into something other than mindless parrotting of the party line.

I always found Jasmine to be a bright, curious and articulate young woman even if some of her views made me cringe. Maybe just maybe, she's learning about the world beyond fundie-ism and has realized it isn't all bad. Good luck to her.

The Color Purple?!! Surely Voddie's maiden of virtue shouldn't be reading about lady sodomites. I don't think Doug would approve.

I know a lot of people who held her more cringe-worthy opinions while they lived at home, and slowly shed them in their late teens/early 20s. As a group, 18-year-olds think they know everything, and often dismiss anything not 100% compatible with their worldviews.

I think there's hope for Jasmine yet, especially since she's continuing to read books that aren't along the party line. I don't think she's capable of the kind of cognitive dissonance it would take to keep up both her dad's views and intellectual exploration.

And election season and my mile-long nonfiction reading list might give me tons of ideas for sermonizing in the blogosphere... but the passion for sermonizing has been lost in the eating of so many typed words. Blog a little, and you'll feel what I'm saying.

This part also gives me hope that her views are evolving and that she has the humility and critical skills to work through things.

So many fundy families give off an air of white supremacism that it wouldn't surprise me to see her looking a bit outside the box. I just can't imagine any of the white fundy boys wanting to marry her, and black ones are thin on the ground.

Hasn't she written before that she has to discuss all of her books with her dad, so he can come up with a Biblical interpretation for her? Do you think they still do that?

Give her time,she will mature. I think it was my love of reading, virtually uncensored by my parents (they had their hands full with my younger :twisted: sisters, I stayed out of the drama and read), that saved me from becoming a hardcore fundie as an adult.

Edited: i suck at touchscreens.

Yeah, she'll be fine. She may never publicly renounce everything her dad taught her even if it's only out of respect and love for him, but I have no doubt that she is smart enough to think for herself.

The Color Purple?!! Surely Voddie's maiden of virtue shouldn't be reading about lady sodomites. I don't think Doug would approve.

Yeah or maybe she's like the nitwit in my English lit class who thought that Celie and Sug's relationship wasn't sexual, they were just BFFs. More likely is that Jasmine's skipping the parts of the book that Voddie disaproves of.

And yeah Jasmine is way too freaking smart to keep toeing the party line. She already figured out that no amount of fantasizing is going to actually produce a husband, especially one who is going to meet her dad's approval.

ETA- damn, she also read Room?! Totally not a typical SAHD read. Maybe we should start sending her books on the sly, literature to liberate Jasmine's mind.

I have heard it said that Voddie's teaching can confuse adults like nobody else's teaching can confuse adults.

That said, what chance is there for a young woman raised by the man to come to a level understanding of life?

I would fear her falling into another extremist mindset. But what do I know?

I'm quite surprised she would want to be addressed as Ms. Baucham. Isn't that a feminist thing? Shouldn't she go by "Miss" until she's married so everyone knows she is still the property of her father?

• 11 months later...

I searched and didn't find any other posts about the "Entire Gospel" blog - entiregospel.com/tag/jasmine-baucham/ reviews Jasmine Baucham's book and refutes her arguments with other biblical passages that advise against making an "idol" of your family. It's about a year old, so not new, but after reading about Jasmine in another post I googled her name and found it.

Archived