IGNORED

Is it true that fundy girls can't use tampons?

Daenerys

I keep hearing reference to this, but haven't seen any links. It sounds like the kind of ridiculous thing that would be done to maintain 'purity' in the form of a hymen, but for me it sounds like torture. I could never cope without tampons!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not just fundies. I worked with a religious girl, but not even remotely fundie, and she refused to use tampons because she was staying a virgin until marriage.

I've heard that they can't. Some non-fundies can't use tampons either, due to medical reasons. I think it's something about breaking the hymen like the girl would lose her virginity or something and we all know (at least most here anyway know) how obsessed they are with a virginity of the genitalia. :roll:

My mom discouraged it (I'm 53, so it was a long time ago) but I did it anyway. It hurt like mad but I did not rupture my hymen. I think my mom's thought was more along the lines of "that stuff is supposed to flow out of your body, not stay pooled up inside".

My grandma is a devoted Catholic and I remember her saying something to me when I was a teen about tampons taking away virginity. Even at 15 I thought that was completely fucking stupid. Though I love my grandma and she's awesome.

Not having tampons would just completely suck. Especially if you're a woman with a heavy flow.

Not the tampon thing again... not that it isn't a legit question, I'm just frustrated with the ignorance.

Here's just one of many previous FJ threads on the subject: http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/3957/t ... ried-women

I've read on the Patriarch's Wives lists that women think it affects virginity and that it lends the girls some kind of sexual pleasure or something. They're not what I'd consider the brightest bulbs in the bunch of QF/P world either.

Not just fundies. I worked with a religious girl, but not even remotely fundie, and she refused to use tampons because she was staying a virgin until marriage.

These women need operators manuals for their bodies.

Sadly, my dear, you are correct. I surely needed one! I was told that using a tampon would rob me of my virginity, absolutely forbidden in the house I grew up in.

Now, I love Satan's lil cotton fingers. Of course, I haven't been a virgin since months into my first marriage.

I knew a fundie lite girl who was not allowed to use them. She told me that they would make you "impure", which I assume refers to virginity.

In addition to the whole hymen issue, using tampons would allow a girl to go swimming even during her time of the month. That opens all sorts of doors to doing activities even though you are menstruating, and that's a slippery slope to gender equality. ;)

And the best part is that she attended the University of Iowa, she was a pretty intelligent girl.

My mom forbade it (it meant I wasn't a virgin!! ELEVENTY!!!1!!). So until I went to college, I suffered with those ridiculous pillows. As a teenager, I didn't sleep a wink during my period, it was so damn uncomfortable at night. I also remember being absolutely mortified one day on a date with my boyfriend, we were watching a movie at my house, sitting on the couch, and I was repositioning myself in my seat, and all we heard was this *crinkle*. He was like, WTH was that?

In college, my suite-mates locked me in the bathroom stall until I figured out how to use one. I was still a virgin, and didn't quite know my own anatomy. One I got it right, I never looked back, except for the time I had gyn. surgery. One of my sisters still refuses to use tampons, and I look at her and think, you're nuts!!

Can I say that my feminist ped rocked?

My mom was agnostic, but queasy about tampons even for herself, and definitely for her little girl.

One day, I had a check-up around that time of month, mentioned something about missing swimming class that night, and she picked up on it and immediately insisted that I try tampons. She brought my mom in and basically ordered her to get me some.

Oh, and on the whole virginity thing - a tampon is not a penis.

I was never allowed to and I grew up fundy. My mom said tampons are for women who have had babies. I never want to try them even now.

There's something to this. I know that back in the old Biblical Womanhood days, Crystal used to print elaborate shopping lists and all her coupon discounts. I mean, she put down everything down to the last penny she spent. And she would always list maxi-pads or whatever, but never tampons. That was my first inclination that something was up and they considered it

off-limits.

On the MSM site, she does not have these types of lists, but tampons are included in the sales that her minions monitor.

I started using tampons before my older sister even did. Pads grossed me out. But when the subject came up at some point with my Catholic grandma, she said something along the lines of "Doesn't that mean you aren't a virgin anymore?"

Cue the WTF stares. Inserting a tampon DOES NOT equal having sex. I will never understand that attitude. And if anyone thinks women get some kind of pleasure from them, all I can do is laugh at that. Mostly you feel absolutely nothing, but they can hurt if you do it wrong.

Archived