IGNORED

Islamic vs Christian vs Jewish Fundies

Soldier of the One

When examining the differences and similarities between the different types of fundamentalism, there is bound to be an inherent tension:

1) On the one hand, many fundamentalists share similar social criticism and a similar worldview. They tend to be (highly) patriarchal, placing a premium on purity and obedience and hyper-critical of modernity, to name but.

2) Yet, on the other hand, they obviously have competing and mutually exclusive theologies and truth-claims.

So, the question is: do fundies of different faiths 'admire' or 'respect' each other's ethos in some way or is it just all-out competition?

That's a hard question to answer. I don't know if it could really be called an all out competition. Muslims look with disdain on Christians who believe that Christ is the son of God. I remember reading that orthodox Jews believe that worshipping Jesus is akin to idolatry. A Jewish lady I knew said she believed that Jesus was a great teacher, but nothing more - I wasn't proseletyzing, we were just having a conversation. Christians don't take kindly to Muslims claiming that Jesus was actually a Muslim and when his message failed Allah sent Muhammad. So even though there are some similarities (obedience and submission to God, etc.) there are so many differences it's hard to compare.

It's interesting that Judaism in not a proseletyzing faith, but Islam and Christianity stress it.

I have no idea if I responded to your question the way you wanted. It would be interesting to hear from the Jewish and Muslim readers.

Thanks for pitching in!

I guess all the above is true. I just wander how, i.e. Orthodox Muslims feel about the initiatives of Fundamentalist Christians with regards to purity, modesty etc. It would be interesting to see whether there is any 'cross-fertilization' between the faith groups.

Thanks for pitching in!

I guess all the above is true. I just wander how, i.e. Orthodox Muslims feel about the initiatives of Fundamentalist Christians with regards to purity, modesty etc. It would be interesting to see whether there is any 'cross-fertilization' between the faith groups.

I won't speak for Muslims, but they fundy Catholics I know look at the modesty values of Muslims and Orthodox Jewish as basically, a broken clock is right twice a day. In other words, they may be right on this issue but wrong on the other more important stuff.

All we hear in the news and such is the negative about relations between Muslims and Christians. I wonder too if the Muslims, Christians and Jews have any common ground in the area of purity and modesty. Too often we hear about the extremes in pushing for purity and modesty.

As a side note I knew a girl in college who was engaged to a guy from Iran. He converted to Christianity when he came here. His dad was on house arrest back in Iran because he refused to support the Ayatollah's regime. She said that his parents weren't crazy about the idea of him becoming a Christian, but they were pretty moderate and I know they've been to Iran several times to see his family. Anyway she told me one time that in that culture there is a huge emphasis on virginity. Even in our Christian worldview it seemed to us the emphasis placed on purity was a little over the top. She said you just would not believe how they stress it. Sorry for getting sidetracked.

I won't speak for Muslims, but they fundy Catholics I know look at the modesty values of Muslims and Orthodox Jewish as basically, a broken clock is right twice a day. In other words, they may be right on this issue but wrong on the other more important stuff.

I believe you're correct about the "a broken clock is right twice a day" statement.

Although I can also see some marked differences. Do fundamentalist Christians for example, admire the hijab or condemn it?

So, the question is: do fundies of different faiths 'admire' or 'respect' each other's ethos in some way or is it just all-out competition?

Some do, but most are too busy trying to convert the others or letting their political biases dictate their beliefs to really respect eachother. I was part of a multi-faith headcovering group a few years ago, and things there were pretty respectful, but it was not the norm.

Although I can also see some marked differences. Do fundamentalist Christians for example, admire the hijab or condemn it?

A few Christians who wear the headcovering do admire Muslim and Jewish women who cover, but most don't admire them for their faith, just for the modest clothing. The vast majority of fundies see even other Christians who cover as odd or even condemn them, and one of the things I used to hear a lot was that it was wrong because people might mistake you for a Muslim.

Archived