IGNORED

Deborah 13 (Fundy Docu) - What happened to her after?

Daenerys

I watched this the other night, it's about an extreme fundy girl living in South England - she's homeschooled and completely isolated from the outside world with her 10 siblings. Her parents were miserable fire-and-brimstone fundys too, her whole life seemed to revolve around the belief she was a bad person and the constant fear of going to hell. She certainly thought everyone else was going there and was constantly trying to evangelise.

I looked her up afterwards, and she got an internet presence post-docu: there's a blog (deborahdrapper.com) and a twitter (@deborahdrapper) but both have been defunct for over a year and look to have stopped quite suddenly rather than slowly tailing off. I wonder if anyone knows what ended up happening to her?

[Hilariously, my completely atheist friend lives just down the road from their house!]

I watched this the other night, it's about an extreme fundy girl living in South England - she's homeschooled and completely isolated from the outside world with her 10 siblings. Her parents were miserable fire-and-brimstone fundys too, her whole life seemed to revolve around the belief she was a bad person and the constant fear of going to hell. She certainly thought everyone else was going there and was constantly trying to evangelise.

I looked her up afterwards, and she got an internet presence post-docu: there's a blog (deborahdrapper.com) and a twitter (@deborahdrapper) but both have been defunct for over a year and look to have stopped quite suddenly rather than slowly tailing off. I wonder if anyone knows what ended up happening to her?

[Hilariously, my completely atheist friend lives just down the road from their house!]

No idea. I hope she has got out and got a life for herself. I know she was invited to the USA by Ray Comfort of all people and he arranged for her to meet Ken Ham and go to the creation museum. But after that, nothing.

Frankly I think her parents needed a good slap as they were the ones responsible for her having such a guilt complex.

On her father's blog, bible-mattersdotcom, he mentioned her attending some reformation ressurection camp in Denmark in summer 2011. Seems she went with two siblings. Nothing beyond that.

Her older the brother (the one the pinges on everyones radar.....) has a facebook and he updates it. I was friends with him for awhile ( he'll add anyone) but I was sick and tired of every status updates of his having to do with the Muppet Movie so I tossed him. Deb has a FB and would comment a lot on his but I could never get her to add me.

I am sure wherever she is - she has seen the Muppet Movie.

I actually felt bad for her after watching that. She was so clearly afraid of going to hell or someone else going to hell that she could have "saved." It was rather sad to watch. I've always believed that someone's faith should give him/her peace, not fill them with fear of eternal punishment if they don't live a certain way.

I agree, it was sad to watch. She seemed so afraid of hell and the idea that she would go there if she didn't have these rigid views.

Her brother seemed a tad gay. Also, it seemed like he would totally be fully sucked into the college scene at some point and leave the fundie ways. I was amazed they went to a club AND that he was dancing the way he was. They're definitely nothing like American fundies.

I agree, it was sad to watch. She seemed so afraid of hell and the idea that she would go there if she didn't have these rigid views.

Yeah. Her mental state managed to remind me of Steve Maxwell, and that is NOT a good thing!!!

Thanks to the OP for finding these links. Interesting reading.

Her older the brother (the one the pinges on everyones radar.....) has a facebook and he updates it. I was friends with him for awhile ( he'll add anyone) but I was sick and tired of every status updates of his having to do with the Muppet Movie so I tossed him. Deb has a FB and would comment a lot on his but I could never get her to add me.

I am sure wherever she is - she has seen the Muppet Movie.

Here it is: www.facebook.com/mattdrapp

Thanks for the links. I've wondered about the poor, brainwashed girl, but I was more interested in her gay (let's call a spade a spade) brother. The part in the film where he's dancing up a storm in the club and suddenly becomes worried that little sis might be understanding some of the song lyrics was hilarious. Very weird dynamic going on there.

Do they actually allow little kids in nightclubs in the UK? Or was that just okayed for the film?

If she was doing her thang with me and told me I was going to hell the same as murderers for telling my friend her arse didn't look big in those jeans when it really did, I'd thank her for freeing me up to go on that massive killing spree I'd always dreamed about. Heck, what do you have to lose when a little white lie about a friend's generously sized arse = Adolph Hitler.

JenniferJuniper, I didn't see the program, but I am in the UK. Children aren't allowed in nightclubs, but some have under 18s events, so perhaps that's what it was.

I just did a quick internet search on Deborah because I've never heard of the Drapper family and you all had me curious. In her latest blog post (which was in 2010) she talks about considering a bachelor of law honours degree combined with "maths." At least her family is not keeping her cloistered and they're allowing her to pursue an education. Another observation I have about her is that she doesn't wear frumpers. She looks quite cute in her pink T. She seems like a pretty normal teen except for her extreme religious views. I certainly wouldn't want to market my 13 year old daughter as an "evangelist."

JenniferJuniper, I didn't see the program, but I am in the UK. Children aren't allowed in nightclubs, but some have under 18s events, so perhaps that's what it was.

It's on vimeo if you'd like to see it: http://vimeo.com/22891716

I don't think its an actual nightclub, as its a 'student' club, but I'm not in the UK, so just speculating

Just finished watching the documentary!

Did anyone else get a smug, sanctimonious vibe from Deborah? She's a child, and I know it's not her fault that she believes the things she does. Her parents have isolated and indoctrinated her. Still, she does come across as awfully superior.

Plus, I thought she was sort of... deliberately playing up her innocence for the camera. She's clearly well-versed in fundamentalist rhetoric. She listens to creationist sermons, which no doubt reference pop culture "evils." Maybe she really had never heard of Britney Spears and Victoria Beckham, but I don't think she was as clueless as she pretended to be.

I did like the interviewer, though. No softball questions there. I can't even imagine the Duggars allowing a camera crew to follow one of their daughters around, alone, and ask them pointed questions about their belief system.

Thanks for the links. I've wondered about the poor, brainwashed girl, but I was more interested in her gay (let's call a spade a spade) brother. The part in the film where he's dancing up a storm in the club and suddenly becomes worried that little sis might be understanding some of the song lyrics was hilarious. Very weird dynamic going on there.

The nightclub scene was certainly interesting. When Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" came on, Matt said he wasn't going to dance because he didn't agree with the song. I wonder if he would have said that if Deborah (and the cameras) hadn't been there. The documentary was probably filmed about three years ago, so it's possible he's discarded more of his belief system since then. He is a fan of Adam Lambert on Facebook, which at least means that he's comfortable with openly gay pop stars. I wonder if he's out of the closet, though? I can't imagine those parents ever accepting him.

• 7 years later...

I know this post is old but I again saw this documentary on youtube and wondered what they were up to since this. Her brother is now fully out and has a male partner. He also has many statuses and posts dispelling everything he grew up with including heavy handed pearl style discipline. Deborah from her instagram is big into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu  and is an instructor. She doesn't post any religious posts minus a group photo of them headed back from church. 

Archived