IGNORED

"Even international signs show women must wear skirts"

MamaJunebug

Yes, that statement - or something close to it - was made on a modest-dressing blog or message board a couple years ago. Modest-coverer types were saying, "See? Even the evil governments recognize that women are to wear skirts, not pants - which are MOL the international sign for the men's room.

Thus, my sheer delight to have found the following:

<>

Yes, that statement - or something close to it - was made on a modest-dressing blog or message board a couple years ago.

How strange. I always thought that international signs showed that people must have round white faces without any eyes, nose or mouth and hands without fingers.

*the stupid it hurts. :doh:

How strange. I always thought that international signs showed that people must have round white faces without any eyes, nose or mouth and hands without fingers.

Don't forget -- no feet!

Don't forget -- no feet!

Of course they don't show feet, they might defraud people with foot fetishes.

boom, boom, booom

Sorry--that's the sound of my head hitting the table in frustration at the willful stupidity......

What do they make of kilts? Or of priests wearing cassocks? Or the robes that men wore throughout history until relatively recently?

I feel that the whole obsession with skirts for women isn't really about modesty or gender-appropriate clothing, it's more about the symbolism of "wearing the pants", things you can really do only when wearing pants, and so forth.

As it happens, I love wearing skirts, but I like that I do it by choice!

I kept forgetting to get a photo, but when I was in Kuwait, there were signs to throw garbage in a trash can. The figure on the sign was wearing a floor-length robe. I kept laughing inwardly thinking that it must apply only to fundie women and Kuwaitis.

When we were in Jamaica, the pictures on the doors were of faces. The men's room face had facial hair.

I know several women who would qualify for the men's room if it's based on facial hair :-)

Archived