IGNORED

Fundies and music but no dancing?

FundiesInMyFamily

Ugh internet ate my post, will start again.....

Drove home this morning and stopped at a stop sign, and the church on the corner had a big banner "bluegrass jam 7pm tonight". Made me wonder (FJ on the brain), how is it that alot of fundies have a great love of music, lively styles such as bluegrass included, but no dancing? I know it's supposed to prevent boys & girls from shaking their bodies in a defrauding manner. As cheesy as it might sound, I thought of Kevin Bacon's quote from Footloose where he talks about 'there is a time to do everything under the lord, including dancing... people danced for good crops, to make it rain, for physical fitness, to praise god" ect ect.

The Duggars have their violins and sing, and the Bates boy's intended has a semi-professional group that tours and performs. Do they sit there while listening to music and remain still? Do they tap their toes, snap their fingers, follow the beat? I don't reconcile a love of music with outlawed dancing in my brain.

Just some random thoughts... anyone else have musings on the subject??

http:// www. fundamentalfaith.com/id60.htm ..... found this on that link ..."a praying knee and a dancing leg doesn't belong on the same foot", lol.

(Space between the // and www and after www )

Ugh internet ate my post, will start again.....

Drove home this morning and stopped at a stop sign, and the church on the corner had a big banner "bluegrass jam 7pm tonight". Made me wonder (FJ on the brain), how is it that alot of fundies have a great love of music, lively styles such as bluegrass included, but no dancing? I know it's supposed to prevent boys & girls from shaking their bodies in a defrauding manner. As cheesy as it might sound, I thought of Kevin Bacon's quote from Footloose where he talks about 'there is a time to do everything under the lord, including dancing... people danced for good crops, to make it rain, for physical fitness, to praise god" ect ect.

The Duggars have their violins and sing, and the Bates boy's intended has a semi-professional group that tours and performs. Do they sit there while listening to music and remain still? Do they tap their toes, snap their fingers, follow the beat? I don't reconcile a love of music with outlawed dancing in my brain.

Just some random thoughts... anyone else have musings on the subject??

In some churches we attended clapping and tapping your foot was okay. In others, if it made you want to move your body then it was obviously bad music.

Once we were playing one of my dads records at my parents house and the whole family was there.(my dad made records in the 50's). Anyway, my then 5 year old started dancing, his 5 year old cousin joined him. My fundie sister ran up and whispered something to her son and he stopped dancing immediately. My son kept going and I remember feeling so sad for a 5 year old who is not even allowed to dance to 1950's music his own grandfather made! :(

well you know what baptists say [or, at least the baptists i've had personal experience with]...you can't have sex standing up cuz it could lead to dancing! :lol:

well you know what baptists say [or, at least the baptists i've had personal experience with]...you can't have sex standing up cuz it could lead to dancing! :lol:

Lolololol!

I'm new here (first post!) and wondering what newlyweds do? Can you dance at your wedding? Or do you go from your [first] kiss immediately to cake?

Lolololol!

I'm new here (first post!) and wondering what newlyweds do? Can you dance at your wedding? Or do you go from your [first] kiss immediately to cake?

all of the weddings i've been to where the couple is that kind of christian, there has been no dancing whatsoever. they go to reception and usually go to cake unless they eat a meal first...it depends from couple to couple on what exact order they go in, but there's definitely no dancing.

oh, and welcome to fj!

What ever happened to:

Let them praise His name with dancing;

Let them sing praises to Him with timbrel and lyre.

maybe they banned dancing unless somebody's playing a timbrel and lyre.

i went to Wheaton College, where you weren't allowed to dance or you got disciplined or suspended. They figured it was the 'vertical expression of horizontal intentions.' I don't dance because I suck at it, and I wasn't ex-fundy then, but even then I knew it was LAME. (the rule, not dancing).

all of the weddings i've been to where the couple is that kind of christian, there has been no dancing whatsoever. they go to reception and usually go to cake unless they eat a meal first...it depends from couple to couple on what exact order they go in, but there's definitely no dancing.

oh, and welcome to fj!

Man, are those kind of wedding receptions boring!

Man, are those kind of wedding receptions boring!

sometimes, but not always. they play christian music and instead of dancing there is socializing, or "fellowshipping" as they love to refer to it as.

I would be the worst fundie ever. I dance while cleaning and I actually have a happy dance, with variations for high test scores and other wonderful occasions. I dance several times a day reflexively and my favorite game is Just Dance 2 for Wii.

I would be the worst fundie ever. I dance while cleaning and I actually have a happy dance, with variations for high test scores and other wonderful occasions. I dance several times a day reflexively and my favorite game is Just Dance 2 for Wii.

my friend and her son have a special "they pulled the goalie" dance for when the opposing team pulls their goalie, either because the goalie is doing so bad they need to replace him or because they want an extra attacker near the end of a close game. i have to admit, when they do that, i do a little dance, too. :P

sometimes, but not always. they play christian music and instead of dancing there is socializing, or "fellowshipping" as they love to refer to it as.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but Xtian music and "fellowshipping" sound boring to me.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose, but Xtian music and "fellowshipping" sound boring to me.

it all depends on the christian people doing the fellowshipping. believe it or not, there are some pretty funny and fun christians out there.

my friend and her son have a special "they pulled the goalie" dance for when the opposing team pulls their goalie, either because the goalie is doing so bad they need to replace him or because they want an extra attacker near the end of a close game. i have to admit, when they do that, i do a little dance, too. :P

My son is a goalie. I would love to know what this dance is! Can you describe it or (even better) put it on Youtube?

My son is a goalie. I would love to know what this dance is! Can you describe it or (even better) put it on Youtube?

she hasn't actually described it to me, but i could probably ask. she would probably never post it on youtube as she is usually drunk when she does it.

Someone on the Duggar FB fan page was defending their decision not to dance, saying she didn't think it was right to "shake your stuff" in front of anyone except your husband. I can understand people not wanting their 5-year-olds to bump 'n' grind to R. Kelly, but does ballet count as "shaking your stuff?" What about clog dancing? Waltzing? Israeli folk dancing? If orthodox Jews are ok with dancing (albeit with genders segregated and out of sight of each other), then it's hard for me to fathom why other people have a problem with it. Listen to klezmer music and tell me that you have no urge to dance to it!

My daughter is right defense and the other team pulled their goalie last week and I could have used the dance then!

I love to dance. I'll dance in the middle of a parking lot if a good song is on the car radio. I took 3 years of ballet and 2 years of jazz before dumping dance for gymnastics (which still contains elements of dance). I'll dance around the house with my son. I'll dance at weddings and family gatherings. Hmmmmm...... not only would I make a terrible fundie (for more reasons than just dancing), but there's a good possibility that I may embarrass my son someday. :lol:

I love to dance. I'll dance in the middle of a parking lot if a good song is on the car radio. I took 3 years of ballet and 2 years of jazz before dumping dance for gymnastics (which still contains elements of dance). I'll dance around the house with my son. I'll dance at weddings and family gatherings. Hmmmmm...... not only would I make a terrible fundie (for more reasons than just dancing), but there's a good possibility that I may embarrass my son someday. :lol:

Oh you WILL embarrass your son,I promise. :dance: MY daughter and I were in Sam's Club a few weeks ago when a sing song baby cd was playing "Jesus Loves Me" or something like that. I started singing and dancing and my daughter goes "I don't know you."and walks down another aisle. :whistle:

Archived