IGNORED

Australian ad for marriage equality

nutella addict

Saw it on another board and still have tears streaming down my face.

As another poster there said, this is brilliant in that it focuses on the commitment - through good and bad - and that is a positive message that might turn some hearts.

now i remember where i saw the link to it! it was on stephen fry's twitter. i even retweeted it.

now i remember where i saw the link to it! it was on stephen fry's twitter. i even retweeted it.

That's where I saw it, too! And yup, I cried. :oops:

Its beautifully done and I know its targeting recent studies that say appealing to heterosexual masses for commitment and family values reasons instead of "rights" will get me some legal marriage options. But its kind of like, people really need to be told that we meet, get to know each other, do fun things with our friends, and support each other in hard times? And what's so wrong with wanting equality for equality's sake, anyways? I want rights and I want them NOW, I shouldn't have to convince anyone that my partner and I are just as valid because we squabble over driving directions just like straight people.

That was so beautiful and touching. I can't believe that the struggle to get married was only over in my state 7 years ago. Go GLBT community!

But its kind of like, people really need to be told that we meet, get to know each other, do fun things with our friends, and support each other in hard times?

Actually, yes, I think there are a lot of people who need to be told that gay relationships can be "normal" relationships where the couple just does normal things and they love each other the way a hetero couple does.

If you have an anti-gay person who has a mental image of gay relationships as being like the extremes seen in pride parades or thinks that gay people are all hooking up with each other in bath houses, seeing an ad that portrays a normal, loving relationship can be very powerful.

But its kind of like, people really need to be told that we meet, get to know each other, do fun things with our friends, and support each other in hard times?

Above certain age group, yes, they do need to be told. There are still some generations alive who would not have known an out LGBT person in their peer group, so they are still susceptible to the propaganda of right-wing groups that prey on credulity. Hate groups frame gay people as different ( and at the same time, rebellious - as in, why can't they just change in be like everybody else - aren't they just being contrary?) so messages like this ought to be reinforced.

like the extremes seen in pride parades or thinks that gay people are all hooking up with each other in bath houses

You know what? There's nothing wrong with either of these things. And 90% of the people marching at Pride are "normal." Whatever THAT means.

This ad is beautiful. I cried. I showed it to my parents and my mum cried too.

I think one of the reasons it's having such an impact is because it has such a pure message: love. How often do we see that on TV???

I don't always agree with Getup, but they've outdone themselves this time. I think this ad is really going to cause change and help get this over the line.

You know what? There's nothing wrong with either of these things. And 90% of the people marching at Pride are "normal." Whatever THAT means.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of Pride parades people seem to be hanging out at, honestly. I always hear that and I've never seen anything remotely "extreme."

Actually, yes, I think there are a lot of people who need to be told that gay relationships can be "normal" relationships where the couple just does normal things and they love each other the way a hetero couple does.

If you have an anti-gay person who has a mental image of gay relationships as being like the extremes seen in pride parades or thinks that gay people are all hooking up with each other in bath houses, seeing an ad that portrays a normal, loving relationship can be very powerful.

That is my mother-in-law. She is only 51, but she doesn't believe that gay people fall in love and have "normal" relationships, she thinks that gay people hook up because they "want to be perverted". She also thinks that "Brokeback Mountain" is an evil movie because it tells lies about cowboys, there have never been gay cowboys!

That is my mother-in-law. She is only 51, but she doesn't believe that gay people fall in love and have "normal" relationships, she thinks that gay people hook up because they "want to be perverted". She also thinks that "Brokeback Mountain" is an evil movie because it tells lies about cowboys, there have never been gay cowboys!

I rented that movie some years ago, without really knowing what it was about. I thought it could work as a family movie. Let's say, it was awkward considering one in my family suffers from homophobia. Of course he had to comment all the time about how wrong and disgusting the couple were. :( Had I known what the movie was about I would not have rented it. I think it is "too much" sex in that movie for anti-gay people to see beyond that and see the message of love in the movie. I mean, it seems like many anti-gay people think that homosexuality is about sex and not love. :roll: I was touched when I saw the movie. I think the movie is about love which never dies, despite all obstacles. A true lasting love. My family member saw something completely different of course...

Archived