IGNORED

ATIA/Gothard makes Hartford CT Paper/Soul crushing MERGED

MerryHappy

Wow! I had no idea that had least two murders were connected to people exposed to Gothardism. How very, very sad.

Regarding the dreadful sin of pride, the worst sin, apparently. Wasn't one of the Duggar girls (Jana?) sent back to Gothard for re-education, possibly for the sin of pride??

Gothard is evil.

I had to come out of lurkdom to share this.

You all recall the Cheshire CT home invasion that ended up with a mother and 2 girls dead and the house burned down? Well the trial of the second man involved is now in the sentencing phase. Acording to an article in todays paper this guy was raised AIT/Gothardite. I for one am creeped out to know these people live in my state. Ok back to lurkdom I go

http://www.courant.com/community/cheshi ... 2979.story

Sorry didn't see the other thread....

Wow! I had no idea that had least two murders were connected to people exposed to Gothardism. How very, very sad.

Regarding the dreadful sin of pride, the worst sin, apparently. Wasn't one of the Duggar girls (Jana?) sent back to Gothard for re-education, possibly for the sin of pride??

Gothard is evil.

There are more. There was the David Ludwig case. David shot and killed his girlfriends parents who would not allow him to date their daughter.

Both families were ATI.

Well, to be fair, we don't know why she went on her Journey to the Heart (without any of her sisters, which was surprising) a few months back. Some have speculated that she was sent there for that purpose, but that may or may not have been the case. It's more or less impossible to know either way.

The links provided in the article lead to an afternoon of fascinating information assimilation. Those articles should be required reading for anyone thinking about joining Gothard's evil empire.

Well, to be fair, we don't know why she went on her Journey to the Heart (without any of her sisters, which was surprising) a few months back. Some have speculated that she was sent there for that purpose, but that may or may not have been the case. It's more or less impossible to know either way.

When she was there with the girls, I think she said pride was a sin she needed to work on. Wasn't that an audio clip thing?

When she was there with the girls, I think she said pride was a sin she needed to work on. Wasn't that an audio clip thing?

I think you are correct. What triggered it in my mind was "the root sin of pride" in the Wisdom booklet as mentioned in the article. Seems to me that Jinger/Jessa are more prideful than Jana...but I'm going OT.

She went on two Journeys that we know of. The first was about two years ago, and she went with Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Priscilla Keller, and maybe some (or all) of the Query sisters. She did a podcast with her sisters and one of the Staddon guys where she said that she struggled with pride. Still, we can't say that she was sent there specifically for re-education. The Journey I was referring to was the one that she went on somewhat recently. IIRC, she went there without any of her sisters, which was kind of odd, but we don't know exactly why she went there.

Yes, this pathetic excuse for a human being tucked in his own daughter at home then teamed up with another psychopath to go on a home invasion. He sexually assaulted and took explicit photos of an 11 year old (his excuse: he thought she was at least 15 or 16). The mother was raped and strangled while the two girls were tied to their beds, had gasoline poured, and a match struck - the girls died of smoke inhalation. Their father was a prominent local endocrinologist who had been beaten and left for dead in the basement, but managed to escape when the fire started. They were a lovely family. One of my husband's coworkers was a juror on the other murdering scumbag's trial and said what he saw and heard still gives him nightmares. The home invasions happened only a few towns away from where we live.

I've read some of the newspaper reports during the penalty phase and his parents were big into ATI. What I find interesting is that Komisarjevsky is adopted. His parents went against Gothard's teachings and adopted him, found that his mother was pregnant with a daughter, then took in older foster children. One of those foster children, a teenage boy, repeatedly raped/assaulted both of the family's young children for several years. The parents either didn't know or didn't care. When he became a behavioral problem they refused to seek "secular" counselors and psychiatrists, choosing instead to try to pray it away. The penalty phase has been a string of witnesses attesting to this sort of thing.

I think this guy is a severely damaged individual - you can't blame Gothard/ATI solely for him becoming a sexual predator and murderer, but it contributed towards his family's treatment of him. Being homeschooled in a family with a fundamentalist religious tradition only served to isolate him further from those who could have gotten him help when it became apparent that he was emotionally disturbed. Outsiders may have heard about the sexual abuse from the foster child, the physical abuse (beatings) from his parents, and the like.

Despite Connecticut being a fairly liberal state there are fundies here! Fundie lites are more common, but we do have both.

• 2 years later...

There are more. There was the David Ludwig case. David shot and killed his girlfriends parents who would not allow him to date their daughter.

Both families were ATI.

I just came across a book written about the David Ludwig case. It's called "Desire Turned Deadly: The True Story of a Beautiful Girl, Her Teenage Sweetheart, and the Love that Ended in Murder (St. Martin's True Crime Library)."

amazon.com/Desire-Turned-Deadly-Beautiful-Sweetheart-ebook/dp/B0041T52T0/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389194899&sr=1-6&keywords=homeschooled

Has anyone read the book? What was the ATI / homeschooling community's response to the murders?

Archived