IGNORED

A family BIGGER than the Duggars

IReallyAmHopewell

That is a lot of kids, but he also had about 40 wives. So I don't know if that counts... not every wife had 20 kids.

But...but...he doesn't WANT to keep marrying! God has commanded him to do this!

And he's Christian, to boot. Why, oh why, didn't TLC send the Duggars to meet THIS guy, instead of hauling them off to Scotland, Ireland, and Israel? I bet they could learn a few useful things, like how to grow (and slaughter) your own chickens and pigs, and the joys of cooking over a wood-fueled fireplace (and I bet they gather their own wood, too).

:laughing-rollingyellow:

That is crazy...

All the wives have a dormitory type room...

They have their own village so if a daughter wants to get married a guy has to stay in the "compound" since they "want" to stay or is something else going on?

That only averages 2.2 children per wife.

My babysitter is one of 23, and her father only had two wives

Is your babysitter from a fundie-family?

Does anybody know a woman who has more children than J'chelle?

And is there another fundie-family with that much children except the Bateses???

That doesn't count. Boob did it with only one brood mare, er, wife.

I agree. More than one dam wife is cheating.

Not a fundie family but in the book The Midwife

http://www.amazon.com/Midwife-Memoir-Bi ... 872&sr=1-3

the author tells her true stories and describes a family where she delivers the 23rd and 24th (or 24th and 25th?) babies for a woman. Who mothers all of her children who are happy, clean and bilingual. In a tiny apartment in the early-mid 1900s in London.

Her last baby (in the book) was horribly premature but survived thanks to this woman's maternal instincts and total devotion.

J'chelle doesn't stack up in the slightest.

Is your babysitter from a fundie-family?

And is there another fundie-family with that much children except the Bateses???

My paternal great-grandmother had 21 children. All single births too.

A few Laestadian families in Finland have 20+ kids with one wife. And I read somewhere awhile ago about Laestadian couple who were getting married. They both are widows and she has 13 kids and he has 11 kids. They were looking for an old school to live. Former Finnish MP also has 18 kids with one wife (13 girls and 5 boys), he is Laestadian too.

I googled around and found a blog text where they mention the Duggars but it is only in Finnish :/ ( http://freepathways.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/19lasta/ ) Blog text is about Finnish Laestadian family who has 19 kids. According to the interview, one of the daughters is married to a man who is also one of the 19 kids.

Yeah, there is a trend with big families and Laestadianism in Finland ;) Sometimes it is sad. My friend's mother said that when she was delivering my friend hew roommate was having her 14th child and she cried how tired she was. But they kept going on, I think my friend said that they had 18 kids.

just had to check out on wikipedia what Laestadianism means and I have to admit I have never heard about it. Sounds really interesting. Thank you!

just had to check out on wikipedia what Laestadianism means and I have to admit I have never heard about it. Sounds really interesting. Thank you!

Same. Question nothing to do with religion (I think): wikipedia says they enjoy 'haps'. What are 'haps'? Funkyzeit events and gigs? All I can think is 'what's the haps?' as in happenings.

I went to school with kids who were in a family of 23 children.

They were French Canadian.

One father, one wife.

This was 47 years ago.

Same. Question nothing to do with religion (I think): wikipedia says they enjoy 'haps'. What are 'haps'? Funkyzeit events and gigs? All I can think is 'what's the haps?' as in happenings.

I don't know what is behind this English language word but in this case haps means religious gathering. Haps or "seurat" is very simple structured and serious meeting. People talk about God one in a turn some 5-10 minutes and between speeches they sing Hymns of Zion. Hymns are never decided beforehand, someone just starts to sing appropriate hymn and others join in. They don't pray because hymns are considered as praying. This meeting takes about an hour and after that people usually socialize informally.

So maybe haps is something like conventicle?

I don't know what is behind this English language word but in this case haps means religious gathering. Haps or "seurat" is very simple structured and serious meeting. People talk about God one in a turn some 5-10 minutes and between speeches they sing Hymns of Zion. Hymns are never decided beforehand, someone just starts to sing appropriate hymn and others join in. They don't pray because hymns are considered as praying. This meeting takes about an hour and after that people usually socialize informally.

So maybe haps is something like conventicle?

Had to google 'conventicle' too :lol: thank you!

just had to check out on wikipedia what Laestadianism means and I have to admit I have never heard about it.

Hello all, thank you for this interesting information. As to the Laestadianism, some about the background. The Conservative laestadians hav probably the strictest ban of the birth control, stricker than e.g. the Catholics.

In April 2011 the leaders of the Conservative laestadians in Finland could not anymore avoid the issues of child sexual abuse to get in the publicity. The leaders of the movement announced a public confession, where they said that it is truth that hundreds of child victims and a myriad of perpetrators has been not taken to the court durin the last 30 years.

“Conservative Laestadians admit serious mistakes in dealing with child abuse issue"

http://freepathways.wordpress.com/2011/ ... abuse-srk/

Conservative Laestadianism is a conservative Christian revival movement, a biggest section of the Laestadian movement which is splitted over 20 different groups during its history.

There are some groups acting in US and in other countries as well. Conservative Laestadianism is a powerful actor in the Lutheran Church of Finland. The movement has got priests in the Lutheran Church, in addition to it, that they work separately from the church, having own houses, lay preachers, sermons and activities for children and youth in Finland.

I went to school with kids who were in a family of 23 children.

They were French Canadian.

One father, one wife.

This was 47 years ago.

Did they have a (fundie) religious background?

Hello all, thank you for this interesting information. As to the Laestadianism, some about the background. The Conservative laestadians hav probably the strictest ban of the birth control, stricker than e.g. the Catholics.

In April 2011 the leaders of the Conservative laestadians in Finland could not anymore avoid the issues of child sexual abuse to get in the publicity. The leaders of the movement announced a public confession, where they said that it is truth that hundreds of child victims and a myriad of perpetrators has been not taken to the court durin the last 30 years.

“Conservative Laestadians admit serious mistakes in dealing with child abuse issue"

http://freepathways.wordpress.com/2011/ ... abuse-srk/

Conservative Laestadianism is a conservative Christian revival movement, a biggest section of the Laestadian movement which is splitted over 20 different groups during its history.

There are some groups acting in US and in other countries as well. Conservative Laestadianism is a powerful actor in the Lutheran Church of Finland. The movement has got priests in the Lutheran Church, in addition to it, that they work separately from the church, having own houses, lay preachers, sermons and activities for children and youth in Finland.

I wouldn't say it is a powerful actor inside the local Lutheran Church. Different kind of born again denominations have always been part of Lutheran Church. Lutheran Church accepts them. Yes, there are priests who are Laestadians, Pentecostals, confessional Lutherans...and many other smaller ones as well as charismatic movements. The roof reaches high and walls are wide in Lutheran Church and whether it is a good or bad thing depends on who is saying it. Right to wed people and such is regulated by law and not every religious group has these rights so for example many Pentecostals get married in Lutheran Church. It is normal to attend - for example - to sermons in Free Church and Lutheran Church. Many smaller groups have their own activities and lay preachers and they are still (active) members of Lutheran Church. Lutheran Church is one huge roof organisation which is divided into smaller congregations, congregations are not similarly independent as churches in, say, USA. For example, if you are a member of the church, you will always have your own home congregation no matter where you move inside Finland. You don't have to find a congregation on your own, church administration will send you a letter after you move. It doesn´t mean you aren´t allowed to attend in other churches, it is only an administrational thing.

So, attending to smaller organisation´s sermons and other activities is only normal here. Lutheran Church in general accepts this kind of activity within. There is one group that has caused bigger problems: Luther Foundation Finland. Lutheran Church and Luther Foundation have some theological quarrels and the final straw was when Foundation ordained its own bishop. Church fired this priest which worked as a pastor in one congregation and is now watchful towards other Foundation members. Foundation wants to be a part of Lutheran Church but Church naturally doesn´t want to have this kind of rebellious activity. Foundation thinks female pastorhood is heresy and they have already been in trouble because they don´t want to work with female pastors.

Sexual abuse was briefly discussed in Yuku earlier this year.

Nope, I am not defending Laestadianism, I only wanted to clarify our peculiar congregation system.

• 3 years later...

I know that this is a very old thread, but I am mostly interested in quiverfull due to growing up near Laestadian familes. I know a few Laestadian families that have 22 children. A few being two families. It isn't uncommon for them to have 12-15 kids. I grew up in a town in central Minnesota that has masses of them. They claim to be the first Laestadian church in the US (built in 1870 something).

• 2 years later...

Polygamists don't count, they're a whole other breed of crazy from the Duggars. Snarky comment: When the dad has sex with his wives, I'd imagine he might often say the wrong name...uh oh.

Archived