IGNORED

Straight From the Horse's Mouth-ish - Jesus Says

Cassandra

2e5s77o.jpg

Has anyone posted this before?

I think certain fundies would benefit from looking at it, not that they would ever believe it.

Yeah, that second paragraph in particular is a bunch of bunk.

I'm not terribly familiar with the New (or old) Testament. What does Jesus actually say about divorce?

I'm not terribly familiar with the New (or old) Testament. What does Jesus actually say about divorce?

I'm not either, because I think the Bible is a bunch of bunk too! But if whoever made this thing was trying to make it sound like Jesus was some totally cool, tolerant guy, they failed. Saying that divorced people are adulterers is stupid.

It's satire. The entire point is to mock those that pick and choose from the bible.

I'm not saying I agree with everything written on the image, just that i found it funny.

I'm no bible expert, but I do believe that divorce was ok in many situations - that's part of the old testament law that was undone. If someone can actually site verses, that would be pretty helpful. I don't even know where to start looking for a bible in our house....

Here's something from Matthew 5:31-32 --KJV:

31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

And Mark 10:

And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

I'm no Bible scholar, but there is also this story from John 7:

And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst,

4they said unto Him, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5Now Moses in the law commanded us that such should be stoned but what sayest thou?"

6This they said testing Him, that they might have cause to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not.

7So when they continued asking Him, He lifted Himself up and said unto them, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

8And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9And they who heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the eldest even unto the last, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing in the midst.

10When Jesus had lifted Himself up and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

11She said, "No man, Lord." And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee; go, and sin no more."

Jesus said divorce is bad, m'kay, except for in cases of marital unfaithfulness. (There's more to it, but that's the short answer.)

I think the image is pointing out the hypocrisy of the American Taliban whining about gay marriage, when Jesus never said anything about gays, while at the same time having s divorce rate comparable to the rest of the "heathen" population. If they think marriage is sacred, then maybe they should...I dunno...stay married.

I just noticed that Jesus only speaks about putting a wife aside, not a husband. I wonder if his intent was to protect women ?

:) I'm Chistian, I believe the Bible is God's Word and I *rather *liked *the ...whatever it was, the original post!!

Archived