IGNORED

What are you growing in 2024?

indianabones

For us Northern Hemisphere FJers, what are you growing this spring? Have you started seeds yet, or do you live somewhere warm enough that you're actually seeing fruits of your labor? Aussies and Kiwis, how was your gardening this past summer?

I'm starting tomatoes from seed for the first time this year! I live in Zone 5A, so I planted them all in the past week. In typical fashion, I'm also selling my tomato starts at the local farmer's market for the first time. I have about 1,000 plants growing in my currently-unused office- the market starts the first weekend in May. I'll share varieties if anyone is curious.

PXL_20240331_173311194.thumb.jpg.08722f90658eacc68c11a1b3fe307fdd.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, onions, maybe some peppers. And various herbs. We got a small stock tank to try for herbs this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I'll probably try to grow some more tomatoes this year.  I'm going to get some fresh potting soil to see if I have more luck with that.  I reused soil last year and I think that's why I didn't get any tomatoes or anything else last year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I'll probably try to grow some more tomatoes this year.  I'm going to get some fresh potting soil to see if I have more luck with that.  I reused soil last year and I think that's why I didn't get any tomatoes or anything else last year. 

I grow mine in containers every year. I always add compost to my potting soil (usual 1 part compost to 4 parts potting soil), use Jobe's tomato fertilizer spikes, and water with fish emulsion once a week. I get a bumper crop from doing all of that- tomatoes are heavy feeders!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Who among you wants to adopt me? I can cook!

I am going to grow herbs on my countertop for the first time this spring, so wish me luck. I live in the Chihuahuan desert, where it would be hugely difficult to have an outdoor garden (extreme heat, very dry, lots of rabbits and birds). If I have any luck, I'll post pics.

Best to all of you!

• Upvote 2