IGNORED

RIP Sidney Poitier

Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing

Actor and activist, Sidney Poitier, passed away January 7 at age 94. He was the first Black male to win an Academy Award for Best Actor in 1964 for Lilies of the Field. 

He received multiple awards and accolades for acting, as well honors, such as Presidential Metal of Freedom. 

In addition to his Oscar winning performance in Lilies of the Field, he also appeared in such classics as Blackboard Jungle, Porgy and Bess, The Defiant Ones, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?, and In the Heat of the Night.

Mr. Poitier achieved and did so much more than what I can even put in this post. He was and is truly a legend. 

• Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

My heart just broke a little more (it started breaking the other day with Betty White's passing). Sidney and I share a birthday, so that made him just that little bit EXTRA special to me. Rest in peace, Mr Poitier, you classy, classy gentleman. ❤️ 

26 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

Mr. Poitier achieved and did so much more than what I can even put in this post. He was and is truly a legend. 

This. My favourite film of his is To Sir, With Love, though I love everything he was ever in. My husband used to show that film every year to his 7th graders until Covid hit and there was no longer time to fit it in around the science curriculum. He loved watching the kids go from laughing at the 60s-era clothes and music to paying serious attention to the story itself. 

Dammit. 2022 is shaping up to be almost as bad as 2021 and 2020. 😢 

Yeah I just heard about his passing too and was coming here to make comment on that.  Guess who's coming to heaven, indeed. 

• Thank You 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Loveday said:

2022 is shaping up to be almost as bad as 2021 and 2020. 😢 

My sentiments exactly. 

Also, there was an error on my previous post. He passed away January 6.

10 hours ago, Loveday said:

My favourite film of his is To Sir, With Love, though I love everything he was ever in.

I haven’t seen that one yet, it’s on my ‘movies I must watch’ list. I adore The Defiant Ones. Mr. Poitier and Tony Curtis are great together. Every time I hear the Fleetwood Mac song “The Chain,” I think of that movie. 

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

I haven’t seen that one yet, it’s on my ‘movies I must watch’ list. I adore The Defiant Ones. Mr. Poitier and Tony Curtis are great together. Every time I hear the Fleetwood Mac song “The Chain,” I think of that movie. 

I love Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I originally watched it because I love Tracy-Hepburn movies, but Sidney is soooo good in it.

• I Agree 1