IGNORED

Nikole Hannah-Jones Decided Not to Accept UNC Offer

47of74

Nikole Hannah-Jones has decided to not accept tenure at UNC after all. 

Pultizer Prize-winning journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones has announced that she declined the University of North Carolina's offer of tenure and a teaching position with the school and has instead accepted a faculty role at Howard University.

Hannah-Jones and Ta-Nehisi Coates will take on faculty roles at Howard University, the school announced, while also founding a brand new Center for Journalism and Democracy.

The move is a significant one for Hannah-Jones, given the recent controversy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where her tenure was initially denied by the UNC system's board of trustees. On June 30 -- after protest from alumni, faculty and students -- that decision was flipped.

Hannah-Jones is a renowned journalist focusing on racism in the US. Her most well-known piece of work is the "1619 Project," a deeply researched piece of journalism that recontextualizes the history of the US around August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived. Her work has won her numerous accolades, including the coveted MacArthur Fellowship Genius Grant.

UNC really fornicated itself here with getting all stupid due to reich wingers complaining about Ms. Hannah-Jones.  Not only did they lose her but the chemistry school lost Lisa Jones withdrew her candidacy in protest of the school not initially granting Ms. Hannah-Jones tenure.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

As a UNC alum, I'm incredibly disappointed in how the university handled everything. I'm selfishly sad that my alma mater won't have such a distinguished woman representing them. I completely respect Hannah-Jones' decision, and this is a huge gain for Howard.

Unrelated,I also saw that Phylicia Rashad is the dean of the college of fine arts at Howard. Wasn't she just defending Cosby?

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

As a UNC alum, I'm incredibly disappointed in how the university handled everything. I'm selfishly sad that my alma mater won't have such a distinguished woman representing them. I completely respect Hannah-Jones' decision, and this is a huge gain for Howard.

Unrelated,I also saw that Phylicia Rashad is the dean of the college of fine arts at Howard. Wasn't she just defending Cosby?

Yes she was.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 3

Nikole Hannah-Jones definitely made the right decision.  UNC bungled this terribly, but when they did, they showed who they really are. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Yes she was.

And I think she was the only one too of the Cosby show alumni doing so. 

37 minutes ago, Howl said:

Nikole Hannah-Jones definitely made the right decision.  UNC bungled this terribly, but when they did, they showed who they really are. 

I remember reading The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danzinger in 5th grade and how Ms. Finney decided to step down after getting her job back because the board showed its true colors and she knew they’d be laying in wait to cook up an excuse to get rid of her. 

This situation with Ms. Hannah-Jones reminded me of that novel. Yeah she won but made the right decision to not go to UNC as the school leadership showed who they really are and they’d be looking to get rid of her. 

• Upvote 5