IGNORED

Does Anyone Remember this Blogger?

browngrl

Does anyone remember this blogger. She was an African American woman. She dressed in old fashioned clothes and had a lovely garden and lovely pictures. IIRC she left blogging and the fundie world and left home for a bigger city. I thought of her when I was looking at Kelly Haven's instagram and thought that it was a pale imitation of the blog whose name I can't remember. 

Note: mods I am not sure if I have asked this in the correct place. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum to ask or direct to a better place to look for myself.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Does Anyone Remember this Blogger?

Yes, I remember her well, but she didn't use her real name, did she? That was one of the most beautiful blogs I've ever seen, and she seemed kind, if misguided. 

• Upvote 1

Mia? She was a SAHD, participated in historical reenactments at a nearby plantation--reenactments that appeared to be highly sanitized. I loved looking at her blog, though. She had her own photographic style and it was lovely.

• Upvote 4

Yes, her name was Mia and she blogged at aspiring-homemaker.blogspot but seems to have stopped blogging at that site in 2014. In Jan 2015, she said she'd be starting a new blog. If she did so, I never saw it.

Her stuff -- beautiful photos + bizarro prose -- is still visible in my RSS feed but the blog has been private.

• Upvote 5

thanks everyone

I'm not sure exactly why I've been thinking about bloggers from the past. Maybe part of the reason is because one day, while browsing the fundie reddit subs,  I realized I did not care about the fundies being discussed (eg the women of Girl Defined) beyond being concerned about the damage fundamentalism does. Back in the day of blogs I felt more connected and I had a genuine interest/concern about some. Maybe the more intimate nature of blogging back in the day was behind this difference. Maybe I'm just old and cynical or maybe recent personal losses are weighting heavily on me. 

Anyway, another blogger I wish I could remember was a young girl who lived with her mother and step father. The step father seemed abusive to me eg he made her kill and eat a cow she had raised from a baby which devastated her. Her father's side of the family was not fundie but the step father shut down that connection. One of her last posts she posted a picture of a pair of jeans with an arrow to the crotch and talked about modesty. Her blog disappeared shortly after. I find myself wondering if she is ok. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4

I agree that our fundies of days past were more entertaining. Cabinetman or Emily and DNA anyone?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2021 at 1:00 AM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, her name was Mia and she blogged at aspiring-homemaker.blogspot but seems to have stopped blogging at that site in 2014. In Jan 2015, she said she'd be starting a new blog. If she did so, I never saw it.

Her stuff -- beautiful photos + bizarro prose -- is still visible in my RSS feed but the blog has been private.

Yes, it was a lovely blog! If I remember correctly, there was a discussion on FJ when she shut down the blog, and more was learned about her. If I remember correctly, her family's lifestyle on the blog appeared to be rather performative--for example, I think we learned that they didn't live at the cottage fulltime. And then perhaps she took at job as an interpreter, maybe  at Colonial Williamsburg? 

• Upvote 5

I loved the beautiful vintage photos of women of color that she posted.

• Upvote 3

Oh yeah, I remember Mia. Ugly blog template, but gorgeous photos; she was awesome at capturing natural light. I would love to know what she's up to these days.

I seriously miss the intimacy of old-skool hobby blogs, both fundie and general, the handful that survive have become so sterilized. I think you can still find a lot of "move to a cabin and make jam" aesthetic out there, but it's mostly YouTube Vloggers now.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 6/8/2021 at 9:22 PM, Cults-r-us said:

I agree that our fundies of days past were more entertaining. Cabinetman or Emily and DNA anyone?

Emily and Dna!!!!! She refused to turn on the heat although the bill was included in the rent! And they had like 5 kids in a tiny

apartment with a stuffed dog named "Brad" precariously perched in the bathroom. Wow. 

• Upvote 3

I often think about Under1000 Emily. And Kristina, I hope she is doing well. I worry about Paulina because she was so impressionable and imo open to abuse.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, starfish said:

Emily and Dna!!!!! She refused to turn on the heat although the bill was included in the rent! And they had like 5 kids in a tiny

apartment with a stuffed dog named "Brad" precariously perched in the bathroom. Wow. 

Didn’t she and Dna eventually separate/divorce?  ISTR a photo of the boys, with backpacks, standing at the end of the driveway, presumably waiting for the school bus.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2021 at 9:39 PM, adidas said:

I often think about Under1000 Emily. And Kristina, I hope she is doing well. I worry about Paulina because she was so impressionable and imo open to abuse.

Paulina, the one with Tony? She has a public instagram and she is apparently still living with her parents along with her two children. She is currently dating a man on she met on eharmony. She is catholic but still fundie as ever. Doling out advice on how to be a perfect godly wife and mother. Publicly supprting "biblical patriarchy." ? I wonder how her children are doing with all the instability (moving homes, lina going back and forth with Tony, lina switching up religions, etc).

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, smittykins said:

Didn’t she and Dna eventually separate/divorce?  ISTR a photo of the boys, with backpacks, standing at the end of the driveway, presumably waiting for the school bus.

I remember they did separate, but I'm afraid I lost track of her after that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1