IGNORED

Joel Osteen Just Another Grifter

WiseGirl

Twitter is raking him over the coals for his appearance to promote his new book on the Today Show today. He's a megamillionaire as he pays no taxes because Jesus. Lakewood Church is where he preaches his prosperity gospel and oh yeah he couldn't be bothered to open his church to help Houston during hurricane Harvey.

Some examples. I strongly dislike him.

More  can be found here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/joel-osteen-mocked-for-today-show-gratitude-comments/amp/

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 1

Why in the hell would the Today Show have this charlatan on in the first place?  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

12 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Why in the hell would the Today Show have this charlatan on in the first place?  

Because the Today Show is full of crap and airs nothing of substance that's why.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

I always watched the today show back in the 90s and some of the 2000s. I always liked a lot of what they reported on. But it just seems like entertainment news these days. I guess when you can get your news on your phone anytime, you have to try to compete with “entertaining news.”

• Upvote 6

I can't believe this grinning jackass is on his what 5th??? book. Every single book and I mean every single one has been a rehash of his first book: a rehash of the power of positive thinking with a dash of Jesus speak here and there. He is the embodiment of if you have heard one sermon then have definitely heard them all. 

• Upvote 7

Hubs watches a lot of political talking heads on Sunday mornings.  A few weeks ago a show ended, and Joel Osteen's power hour started up.  Watching him for about 90 seconds literally made my skin crawl. Snake oil salesman, so slick. Had to quickly change channels. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Howl said:

Snake oil salesman

Perfect description in my opinion. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

My mom used to love Joel Osteen. I had to show her examples of him being a hypocrite for her to understand he wasn't a "great guy." But then she goes onto the next joker. She now loves Joyce Meyer (whom I loathe - I don't know too much about her but I hate what "lessons" my mom has taken from her books). I guess I've learned to let it be and if my (poor) parents want to willingly give these multimillionaires more cash, that's on them. But I think it's sad. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, meep said:

My mom used to love Joel Osteen. I had to show her examples of him being a hypocrite for her to understand he wasn't a "great guy." But then she goes onto the next joker. She now loves Joyce Meyer (whom I loathe - I don't know too much about her but I hate what "lessons" my mom has taken from her books). I guess I've learned to let it be and if my (poor) parents want to willingly give these multimillionaires more cash, that's on them. But I think it's sad. 

You should turn your mother on to "Betty Bowers, Americas Best Christian". Maybe don't tell her its a parody.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

I’m always amazed by how mega preachers can drive $100,000 cars, live in mansions, wear all designer clothing and people still donate money to them. I’m sorry but when I donate money, I want it to go to people who actually need it. I have no interest in my money going to Joel’s professional tooth whitening. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m always amazed by how mega preachers can drive $100,000 cars, live in mansions, wear all designer clothing and people still donate money to them. I’m sorry but when I donate money, I want it to go to people who actually need it. I have no interest in my money going to Joel’s professional tooth whitening. 

Seriously!!!

And just for fun, because this isn’t a new problem by any means and there’s a song about it, I present you all with “Would Jesus Wear a Rolex (on his television show)” by Ray Stevens. This video even starts off with Joel Osteen pictured:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

This past Sunday I put the TV on early and the channel that was on was showing old broadcasts of Ernest Angley from 1978.  I have no idea why. I was cracking up because it was exactly like watching Robin Williams parody these televangelists. So cliché.  He was spewing the same BS as they do today and screeching for money.   Only the fashions have changed.   It made me realize the internets and social media haven't made people wise up, it's only made them more stupid. 

For a laugh,  Google Ernest Angley and then Robin Williams televangelist parody.  RIP Robin Williams.   

Ah, I see know that he died on May 7th at the age of 99.  Must be why they were showing it.  Apparently he was still claiming to be able to heal people.  For a donation of course. 

• Upvote 6

On 5/18/2021 at 3:29 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And this is why I do not donate money to the conservative Christian college I went to.  I was around too many pastors or other church heavy hitters and their spawn living a life of luxury with mansions, Jaguars, fancy clothing, the vacations to exotic destinations you get the idea.  And don't get me started on how my mother, who worked as a nurse in the hospital affiliated with the same denomination, related tales of how the church president drove up to the hospital in his chauffeured car, wanting special treatment that no one else got and yet the church/college constantly screamed for money.   Yet, they put very little into student services, housing (dorms STILL don't have AC in 2021), or any assistance to needy students.  It was a complaint when I went there and decades later it is still a complaint now.  Yet there are people who push alumni to donate to them.  

Told me even before I graduated that as a member of the alumni organization I would be put on the donation contact list and they more or less expected me to shell out $$.  The one time I took one of their phone calls asking for a donation, a couple of years after graduation, I told the hapless student on the other end that my last tuition payment (which they screwed up btw) was the last time they would see money from me.   Also maybe to ask some of their big shots for the donation as obviously they aren't hurting.   

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I haven't seen the ads in a while, but all winter we saw ads for Joel Osteen's Inspirational Cube. It's little that device that plays Inspirational messages from Joel Osteen.

I cannot think of anything more absurd or fear inducing.  Can you imagine his voice being the last thing you heard at night? The nightmares that would give me!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

52 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I haven't seen the ads in a while, but all winter we saw ads for Joel Osteen's Inspirational Cube. It's little that device that plays Inspirational messages from Joel Osteen.

Why is this a subscribe-and-save item? How many can someone need?

• Haha 11

16 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I was around too many pastors or other church heavy hitters and their spawn living a life of luxury with mansions, Jaguars, fancy clothing, the vacations to exotic destinations

Doug Wilson's daughter Rachel (CREC Church, Moscow, Idaho) wrote a social media post chastising women about spending too much time on social media looking at posts of beautiful decor that they can only aspire to but never have, because that is time that could be devoted to Jesus. 

She got blowback and it's causing a bit of a kerfuffle, because the photo with the post shows Rachel in her designer kitchen with black granite countertops, lovely lower cabinets, surround windows overlooking forested hills, and a huge custom sink (4 to 5 ft long) with not one but two gold faucets.  Rachel is standing by that sink, which contains a pile of apples, and Rachel is holding one, obviously as a prop. 

The other part of the blowback is that Rachel obviously thinks that women should have the time to look at HER social media posts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 15

15 hours ago, dawbs said:

Why is this a subscribe-and-save item? How many can someone need?

So you have enough to gift all the people you want to run away from you as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

Watching TV this morning, and Joel Osteen came on to start his Sunday hour.  This cheesy, oleaginous grifting creep made my skin crawl; I couldn't get to the remote fast enough. Why, WHY do people follow him, listen to him, go to his church, buy his books, make him a millionaire?

• Upvote 5

I remember SNL where Phil Hartman spoofed both Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart.  I desperately want a SNL type comic to spoof both Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Watching TV this morning, and Joel Osteen came on to start his Sunday hour.  This cheesy, oleaginous grifting creep made my skin crawl; I couldn't get to the remote fast enough. Why, WHY do people follow him, listen to him, go to his church, buy his books, make him a millionaire?

Among other reasons, he is partly an pentacostal preacher and motivational speaker. He makes people feel good in the way most motivational speakers do, and if you are a mainstream conservative Christian, his religious views aren't off-putting enough for that to detract you, even if you disagree with them.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think Joel is as popular as he used to be. I think his biggest days were in the 2000s. He still has a ton of money and plenty of people still live him. But I also think a lot of people have moved on from him. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread for revelation that a plumber found bags of money hidden in the walls. It looks like the church had reported the money as stolen. @Howl mentioned this in the Scandals and Crime thread, but I thought let's bring it up here too. Here's the link to the story.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1